Tank suggestion needed

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've been struggling to decide what tank to purchase, because I keep thinking I can find exactly what I want. I hope the good folks here can help. I'm strongly leaning towards the Red Sea E-170, but it's not quite what I want.

The (ideal) tank I want:
  1. 24x24x24 true cube (or 24x24x20 as a second pick) (Rea Sea E-170 doesn't quite meet this because of the rear sump. I'd ideally like more room in the display.
  2. Low iron glass (Red Sea E-170 has this)
  3. Drilled for a herbie style overflow, or other very quiet overflow. (The type of overflow is not a deal-breaker, but I'm looking for a silent overflow, with some sort of built in emergency standpipe. Silence is critical because the tank will be in my office) I also do not want to drill the tank myself.
  4. Quality stand, intended for a tank, with room for sump. (Red Sea E-170 meets this requirement) I don't want to have to rig something, or heavily modify the stand itself. The tank will be in my office so it'll have to look professional.
  5. Hidden equipment (Red Sea sort of has this) I would move the skimmer to the sump if I got the Red Sea, but I wonder what I could use the rear sump for that would not clutter up the look of the tank.
  6. Be able to pick my own lighting and my own skimmer. (Red Sea fails here.) If I did get the E-170, my plan would be to get a second Hydra 26 HD, ditch the stock skimmer and get something like the eshopps X-120. I also was thinking about running a XF230 Gyre, so the stock circulation pump in the Red Sea might be superfluous. (Thoughts?)
  7. As big a sump as possible. If I got the Read Sea, I would buy the extra plumbing kit, but not the stock sump. I was thinking about getting the Trigger Cube 18, but really, the bigger the better. The plan is to run a Kessil H380 over the sump and treat as large a section as possible like a big chaeto refugium. (Maybe overkill?)
I have heard wonderful things about Red Sea quality, and I'd like to keep what I get on par with that.

I looked at sc aquarium and cadlights tanks, and maybe I'm wrong, but they seemed to be lower quality than the Red Sea tanks? Am I wrong about that? Is there somewhere else I should look?

Any suggestions/advice/recommendations?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef

Red Sea does make a really nice tank and their customer service is really good too.

You may want to look into an Elos but please stay away from cadlights.

Best of luck :)

Regards, GoVols

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef

Red Sea does make a really nice tank and their customer service is really good too.

You may want to look into an Elos but please stay away from cadlights.

Best of luck :)

Regards, GoVols

Thanks! Any thoughts on Waterbox?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Any thoughts on Waterbox?
Look nice but a new offering so there's not really a lot of experiences out there yet long term.

I have a reefer 250, it's a nice setup. I did have a pinhole leak in the seam develop but they had me a new tank at my door in 10 days, so good customer support.

Agree to stay away from CADlights, worst. experience. ever.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Plan is changing.

Tank: Waterbox 75.2 Platinum

Lighting: Orphek Atlantik v4 Compact

I am torn on skimmers. I have read wonderful things about the Life Reef skimmers, but am unsure.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back