Tank Temps: How warm is too warm for your saltwater reef aquarium?

What's the MAX temperature you'll allow your reef tank to get?

Votes: 118 8.7%

Votes: 214 15.7%

Votes: 399 29.4%

Votes: 217 16.0%

Votes: 289 21.3%
  • 83+

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 1.1%

• Total voters

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 500g system can run as high as 82F before I run a stainless steel chiller coil in my garage sump to cool it down in the summer. The coil is part of a closed loop of antifreeze with 100’ of tubing frozen in a 2-3 gallon block of ice in my deep freezer. A small in-line pump moves the antifreeze. It takes the edge off by 1-2 degrees. I turn it off at night.
Creative solution.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have to deal with hot temps 2 months out of the year, and I really don't want a chiller. It is a stressful time of year...

Currently I run fans via Apex, but they're not enough on their own. I also keep 4 frozen water bottles in the freezer, and throw them in the sump when water temps hit 82. It's not a great solution.. my zoanthids seem to be especially venerable at 82+.

One idea I just thought of... I have an external ATO reservoir. Maybe I'll put it in a mini fridge, so it trickles cold RODI in the system throughout the day. Or just keep throwing RODI ice in the reservoir all day. Interesting idea.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased a Portable AC for 300 bucks. it's cheaper than a chiller now my basement is really cool and my tank sits at 78.5. I am ok with this.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I put a small 20g tank in my workshop behind the house. It's a small workshop that only has one window and it gets pretty hot in there during the summer months. Last summer the hottest it got was 84.5 degrees in the tank with no ill effects to anything in the tank. I did have a fan over the top of the tank that kicks on when it reaches 82 degrees.
This year in addition to the fan that's over the tank, if I know it's going to be a hot and muggy day I clip a desk fan over the sump and it helps quite a bit. Now the hottest it's gotten in the tank has been 80 degrees.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have to deal with hot temps 2 months out of the year, and I really don't want a chiller. It is a stressful time of year...

Currently I run fans via Apex, but they're not enough on their own. I also keep 4 frozen water bottles in the freezer, and throw them in the sump when water temps hit 82. It's not a great solution.. my zoanthids seem to be especially venerable at 82+.

One idea I just thought of... I have an external ATO reservoir. Maybe I'll put it in a mini fridge, so it trickles cold RODI in the system throughout the day. Or just keep throwing RODI ice in the reservoir all day. Interesting idea.

Which pumps are you running? When I switched from AC to DC for my pumps I saw a drastic drop in my temperature changes. Additionally I removed the glass lids and put in mess tops.

JR Bodyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank never gets above 80. I always keep the house cool with the A/C. I also have a thermostat on the tank that is set to alarm at 82 just as a back up although I'm always in the habit of checking temps throughout the day.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those tank temps keeping rising as the summer gets closer and closer! When should you take action to reduce the heat and when is higher temps too high?

Let's talk about it today!

1. How high will you allow your tank temperature to rise before you take action? What's the MAX?

2. What do you do to keep temps down or help keep them lower during the warmer months?

Photo via @cedwards04
20200514_193758.jpg

I like my tank to stay at 78F, max 82F before I look for chillers/fans/AC, etc.

Luckily temp has never gone higher than 80F even during hot summer days :p

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My sps tank run between 78-80F. Temp fluctuations of 2 degree through out the day since my $13 fan turns on at 80 and off at 78. Weather temp here in the desert average out at 100F.

marcos4780

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dealing with high temperatures and bought a cheap aquarium fan and temperature controller off of Amazon. Keeps my tank under 81 degrees. Hopefully these hot weeks will end soon!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back