Tank Trials: Ultra Low Maintenance Tanks | BRStv Investigates

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also need to choice the overflow and return.

Sicce are quiet, reliable and relatively inexpensive. 3.0 model is a good size for 60 gallons after head loss with plumbing. I use eshopps overflows, which they dont carry, so dont have input there.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really love it if you and the team at BRS could use something like Donovan's method(s) for one of the tanks as it is so simple and also low cost, there is so much information on the more high-tech methods yet very little independent long term data on more basic 'natural' methods.

In case it wasn't clear from his post, the basis of his system is a low flow two-stage PVC media reactor filled with ceramic media, vodka is dosed in the media reactor instead of dosing the whole tank. The theory is that the low flow means that the second stage of the media reactor is a anaerobic zone so the vodka is being dosed to the bacteria that directly reduce nitrogen build up on the tank. This could be automated via a simple peristaltic pump making it a very low maintenance system. He doesn't use a skimmer, a filter sock can be used on the outlet of the media reactor to prevent any excess bacteria reaching the main display if one doesn't want free coral food (and/or cloudiness).

His build thread for the media reactor: Poor man nutrients control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

I think something like this would be perfect to set against the more high-tech methods in the testing you do, especially since it also contains some simple DIY work so would seem perfect for a BRS video. Alternatively you could tell the skimmer manufacturers you are going to do this and retire to a tropical island from the bribes they pay you not to test a method like this :D

Only joking of course, love the BRS video's and respect the obvious effort you make to remain objective and impartial.

I agree 100%. That would be awesome.

And to the argument that they need to use things they sell, well they sell basically everything you need to build that reactor.

Joewantabetterreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add the reason I don't want a skimmer is I think that it is too much maintenance you have to empty the cup every 2 to 3 days and I chose a cheato reactor because I think it would be less maintenance than an ATS but I would prefer an ATS

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if I can use a Skimz MBR127 MACROALGAE REACTOR, in place of a Refugium due to the fact that I don’t have the space in my sump. And I am wondering if this reactor will be good for my 75g tank with sump, for a total of 87g .
You can. However if you are going to buy new equipment you might wan to consider what’s easier to run externally, an algae reactor or skimmer?

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe BRS can commercialized my nitrate destroyer and pay me some fee :D. What say you @Ryanbrs :).

Just kidding ;)

You could probabaly do that yourself, put together a litte DIY-kit with everything you need. Colored PVC, a little prettier than the off the shelf kind. Some nice stickers. I can see it! :)

But what I really love about it and what you did is that you put it out there in the public domain for anyone to use and replicate. That's how progress and innovations get made, not with patents and copyrights.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can. However if you are going to buy new equipment you might wan to consider what’s easier to run externally, an algae reactor or skimmer?

I am already going to be using a Tunze 9410 Skimmer and I was wondering if the Algae reactor would help out as well on my build. I have a small section in my sump that measures 8in x 8in , which I am thinking would be perfect for one of the skimz Algae Reactors. So I am wondering mostly if one of theses reactors would be a good addition to my build .

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probabaly do that yourself, put together a litte DIY-kit with everything you need. Colored PVC, a little prettier than the off the shelf kind. Some nice stickers. I can see it! :)

But what I really love about it and what you did is that you put it out there in the public domain for anyone to use and replicate. That's how progress and innovations get made, not with patents and copyrights.

Haha. Natures provides. Certain things shouldn't have price tag on it. I lost a couple hundreds of hair designing the reactor, but sharing it in public domain is very satisfying.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already going to be using a Tunze 9410 Skimmer and I was wondering if the Algae reactor would help out as well on my build. I have a small section in my sump that measures 8in x 8in , which I am thinking would be perfect for one of the skimz Algae Reactors. So I am wondering mostly if one of theses reactors would be a good addition to my build .
'

For the reasons you are looking at them a lot of people are considering the algae reactors. They absolutely work but I wouldn't call them a low maintenance option. Similar to an ATS you do need to take them apart and clean them periodically. The internal light is also not nearly as effective as something like the h380.

I know a lot of people who already own internal skimmers will think they are stuck with it but an external skimmer and an algae reactor might be the same cost. Each situation has different needs and priorities :)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a video you guys had done awhile back with the DIY king where he had built a AWS using his drip system. Any chance something like that could make its way to one of the builds?

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'

For the reasons you are looking at them a lot of people are considering the algae reactors. They absolutely work but I wouldn't call them a low maintenance option. Similar to an ATS you do need to take them apart and clean them periodically. The internal light is also not nearly as effective as something like the h380.

I know a lot of people who already own internal skimmers will think they are stuck with it but an external skimmer and an algae reactor might be the same cost. Each situation has different needs and priorities :)

Thank you Ryanbrs , so you think I should try my internal skimmer first for awhile then see if I need the addition of a skimz algae reactor. I am not worried about maintaining the reactor that’s not much of a issue with myself . Or do you think I should do a new sump with a proper sized Refugium.. which then would be a new sump $$$$ more money then the reactor for sure .

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Ryanbrs , so you think I should try my internal skimmer first for awhile then see if I need the addition of a skimz algae reactor. I am not worried about maintaining the reactor that’s not much of a issue with myself . Or do you think I should do a new sump with a proper sized Refugium.. which then would be a new sump $$$$ more money then the reactor for sure .

The diy sump they are building for the softie tank is incredibly inexpensive to create.
abd07f94ba03f4cfc998508e380ee2e8.jpg
forgive the algae(i only clean it when flow reduces grows there, its not in the dt)
Mine is a standard 10 gallon with the rim removed and glass baffles(do acrylic, glass is hard to get a straight cut diy style).
The 10 gallon i had sitting around, but at least once a month some big box store has a 20 gallon for $20. Add the baffles, bulkheads, pvc you should be at around $60, add sock holder $70. Nearest you could do off the shelf ~$250?
Forgot silicone add another $5-10 depending on tubes purchased.

Last edited:

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Garett Elliot , I am familiar with building my own sump , I built my current on my 20L under my 75g now .. but I think on my next sump I want something a little cleaner looking . Thank you for the encouragement

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my lowest maintenance equipment are:
1) Sulfur denitrator. Media lasts about a year and I look it rarely to count the drip rate
3) Ozone to skimmer. Pretty much just set it and forget it if you get a slightly undersized ozone generator and controller. Crystal clear water and my tank seems healthier overall with less cyano/diatoms and I have never had fish disease or dino.
4) BRS dosing pumps. Set them and forget them other than periodic water testing for major elements.

Moderate Maintenance:
1) AWC (have to make up water every 11 days).
2) ATO: (Have to refill holding tank every 5 days or so)
3)GAC reactor: (Have to change it every 10 to 30 days)
4) Fuge with Macro. (I have to harvest every 7 to 10 days)
5) Carbon dosing when I did it. Reactors are a bit of a problem and they can actually spur cyano. Hand dosing is even more maintenance.
6) Coral feeding (Reef energy/phyto etc.) Once or two a week.
7) Testing. At the longest, Alk needs to be checked once or twice a week. Ca once a week and Mg once every 15 to 30 days.

Highest maintenance stuff is:
1) Filter socks every 3 days
2) Protein skimmer when I ran it for skimming (needs constant adjusting and frequent emptying, even with an auto neck cleaner and skimmate locker)
3) Fish feeding, even with auto feeder.
4) Numerous pumps and the controller. Pumps require cleaning and checking to see if they are working. Although I wouldn't run a tank without a controller, having nearly every module, monitoring device and toy Neptune makes means you have to have extensive setup and programming device and having to trouble shoot a flow meter, sensor probe, expansion module or even track down an error in your programming is almost a full time hobby into itself.

Last edited:

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rip Van Winkle What is the noise level of your portable system? I like the idea. I like @siggy s idea of the cannister, so if you combine the idea of a cannister and sump, the first chamber is full of rock rubble to catch the large detrius (food) This chamber could have hermits and other detritus consuming creatures picking away at the rocks. Next chamber would be macros like Cheto to catch the smaller particles and eat phosphates and Nitrates. Next chamber is for a grow out refugium with live sand. Last chamber has rock rubble and/or any devices to help polish last of the bad stuff out of the water before the return pump.

Sorry for the late reply. We had (and are still having) some stormy weather here and my ISP had issues.

Totally adjustable, actually. If you look at the PVC that drains into the next section, you can make it point directly (straight down) into the water (& slightly below the surface). That way it would be completely silent. I choose to turn the 90* elbow so that it creates a splash into the next section, to get some aeration. Additionally, If you were to change the height of the sections by making them higher, the flow would fall with greater force into the next section. If a larger return pump was added and larger size drains were installed (PVC bulkheads), then there would be a greater flow rate through the system (potentially noisier?) But my point is basically it can all be adjusted with this type of setup, even the location where the water is directed to, in the next tier, can be adjusted via the length of the last piece of PVC. (See the pic I had posted)

I've seen some canister filters used on reef tanks successfully but the idea of a sump is basically an open "filter" instead of a closed canister. The idea is that the sump is easier to work with than a canister that requires disconnecting the lines and periodic opening and cleaning. A sump is also just larger (in terms of surface area), has more room and can also be lighted. The return pump can be changed without having to buy a completely new filter, etc...
However, if you want to use a canister filter then I say more power to you. :)

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs : There's one type of coral that Tank Trials has not mentioned: NPS corals (Non-Photosynthetic). Why not include that group with the softie tank?
With that in mind, I'd really love to see this: - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/automatic-frozen-refrigerated-food-dispenser.335151/ - set up with that system. (I know the system's a little small for this kind of DIY.)

I'd be very interested in seeing how this actually works (or doesn't). Just at face value, I think it absolutely would. Dosing food to the tank like this should eliminate the need to manually feed it. So, as I see it, this should be the sole source of food going into this system, rendering it totally automated, and ULM.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULM Tank Trials Ep-4: Filtration for Ultra Low Maintenance | BRStv

This week we're exploring the conversation about what makes filtration methods Ultra Low Maintenance as it pertains to things like the removal of ammonia, excess nutrients, excess phosphates, uneaten food, yellowing pigments and several more!

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on ULM Filtration last week! This week we give a special thanks to Joey Bekuis; Kory Strong; TheWoolyninja4; from YouTube and @Robert Collings ; @rtparty ; @Donovan Joannes ; @glennf ; from the Reef2Reef community.

This week's question:

-What does ULM mean to you when you think of plumbing, return pumps and heaters?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back