Target PAR level light scheduling questions...

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we rented a Par Meter...and now have questions.

Running 2 Kessil a360x on a 4’ tank and one a360x on each a 20g AIO and 35g AIO. (All Waterbox) All our lights are currently 8” off the water. We just picked a schedule and kinda went with it but as we add more corals we had to know what PAR they are actually at. Good thing cuz the little tank was high and the big tank low.

1: How long should the tank be at target PAR daily? Should they be scheduled to go up and over target slowly throughout the day for an average or should they ramp up to the target PAR and then back down?

2: As corals grow in, am I correct in assuming lights would be turned up some down the road to account for shadowing?

3: Anyone have a successful Kessil a360x schedule they can share on either of these tank sizes??

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those questions where there’s no set answer, way too many variables. I’d suggest narrowing down what you’re wanting to keep and then invest time exploring build threads with similar stocking and the same lights. Many are willing to share their PAR values and templates, but they don’t work across tanks.

My advice would be to take par ratings over a few different presets varying every 5-10% so that you have useable data for the future. Time consuming but future proofs you against renting again down the line.

Example -

Location A (Preset 1) - 50%,55%...100%
Location A (Preset 2) - 50%, 55%...100%

OP
OP
gunflintcamper

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those questions where there’s no set answer, way too many variables. I’d suggest narrowing down what you’re wanting to keep and then invest time exploring build threads with similar stocking and the same lights. Many are willing to share their PAR values and templates, but they don’t work across tanks.

My advice would be to take par ratings over a few different presets varying every 5-10% so that you have useable data for the future. Time consuming but future proofs you against renting again down the line.

Example -

Location A (Preset 1) - 50%,55%...100%
Location A (Preset 2) - 50%, 55%...100%
We did that to a degree...multiple tests in locations, noting levels and intensities as lights ramped down from our highest setting.

We were surprised how low the big tank was...and plan to slowly increase the intensities over the next two weeks and just re-rent the par meter. It’s only $10 from our LFS.

Good idea stalking build threads...I haven’t checked them out since I needed aquascape or equipment ideas.

Thanks!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back