Terrible diatom outbreak

Taykilps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this tank from a friend about a month and a half ago and the diatoms just went crazy about 3 weeks after setting it back up. The tank has been established for well over a year. I got 2 oscelarous clowns a cleaner shrimp and a small goby, 5 astreas snail 5 nasarious and a few other inverts. Frogspawn, mushroom coral. Nitrates read 0 and haven’t tested phosphates yet but am using an absorbent media. Any tips to slow this down or should I just wait it out? Ps there does seem to be some more Coraline growing on the back glass

9897DC37-25BD-40EB-AD90-E3F292E9EE01.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the source of your water and have you tested your TDS recently?

Are you sure it's a diatom bloom and not dinos?

OP
OP
Taykilps

Taykilps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the source of your water and have you tested your TDS recently?

Are you sure it's a diatom bloom and not dinos?
It’s from a rodi unit and we replace filters yearly, I’ve read that dinos are more snotty and this is just a dust on the sand and rocks and glass

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I would do if I were in your situation. A diatom bloom after a tank move is not uncommon. If that's the case, the diatoms should resolve within a few weeks, so you might need to give it a bit more time. However, if it seems to be getting worse, then I would do one of two things- either confirm it's not dinos with a microscope/coffee filter test (as dinos can look exactly like what you have pictured and your 0 nutrients would help to explain their presence) or get a cheap TDS meter and confirm you aren't adding silicates or other contaminants with your WCs/top off. Lastly, there are variants of cyanobacteria that can mimic a diatom bloom, however, I'd consider this option last.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go away on their own. Sucks to look at but that’s the best way instead of adding chemicals that will make things worse.

OP
OP
Taykilps

Taykilps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I would do if I were in your situation. A diatom bloom after a tank move is not uncommon. If that's the case, the diatoms should resolve within a few weeks, so you might need to give it a bit more time. However, if it seems to be getting worse, then I would do one of two things- either confirm it's not dinos with a microscope/coffee filter test (as dinos can look exactly like what you have pictured and your 0 nutrients would help to explain their presence) or get a cheap TDS meter and confirm you aren't adding silicates or other contaminants with your WCs/top off. Lastly, there are variants of cyanobacteria that can mimic a diatom bloom, however, I'd consider this option last.
Thanks for the reply, I used chemi clean and it didn’t do anything so I know it isn’t cyano. I guess I’ll just wait it out and hope for the best. once again thanks for the feedback!

Wampatom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your outbreak seems consistent with diatoms: time after setup and color. But are you sure? I agree with others that say to wait and see if the problem resolves itself.

I will admit I have a fondness for diatoms. I have never had a major outbreak and they are quite beautiful under the microscope.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back