Testing to see if Tank is Cycled....?

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

This is probably a very silly question, but I have a bit of a conundrum.

I chose to begin my 38-gallon tank using dry rock and dry sand. I also decided to give the Ultimate Refugium Pack by AlgaeBarn a shot to cycle my tank. I added 1 ounce of TurboStart 900 and the recommended 'little bit of fish food' to my tank on 03/14. I added two more ounces of TurboStart 900 along with Red Ogo Macro, and 5280 Pods to my sump refugium on 03/18. I have been dosing OceanMagik every evening since.

The Red Ogo is thriving under my ChaetoMax light and I can see specs (which I assumed to be pods) darting around in my DT, though, not in my refugium (weird?). I have no tank inhabitants as of yet because I want to make sure the tank is cycled and safe before I add anything (unless you count the weird growth in my overflow box... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/growing-in-my-overflow-box-new-tank.814486/ ) Water parameters have been pretty much stable and boring:

Salinity: 1.024-1.025 (Tropic Marin Pro Reef)
Temperature: 78.0-78.8F
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: ~0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I suppose my question is, is there a test to determine whether or not my tank is cycled/cycling? I was told that it was cycled after my first addition of the TurboStart 900 by an AlgaeBarn rep, but I am just have a hard time believing that the little bit of fish food I added was really enough to cycle the tank completely.. Not to mention, I have had only one nitrate reading above zero and it was between 0ppm and 5ppm. Then again, I feel like if things weren't cycled/cycling my pods and macroalgae would have died shortly after I added them..?

I suppose I could add straight ammonia and see monitor how long it takes for it to register back down to zero, but I am worried that will kill my pod and macroalgae population..... Any suggestions?

Thank you for reading!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s done. Fritz is 48 hour bac, shown here:

no testing needed, it’s ready. Dont dose ammonia to pods, just trust the bac works as above. We simply do not have to drive systems to 2 ppm to cycle them, thats a made up number and goal. Trace ammonia gets in even if you didn’t feed, but it’s in addition to the feed from fish food, nice job. It’s gtg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s done. Fritz is 48 hour bac, shown here:

no testing needed, it’s ready. Dont dose ammonia to pods, just trust the bac works as above. We simply do not have to drive systems to 2 ppm to cycle them, thats a made up number and goal. Trace ammonia gets in even if you didn’t feed, but it’s in addition to the feed from fish food, nice job. It’s gtg
I actually read that article, but I noticed that during the tests pure ammonia was added which I did not do in my tank. Still think I'm good to go, though?

Thank you for responding! I was actually hoping you would considering I've seen you around and it sounds like tank cycling is your forte ;) If I didn't hear from you, I was going to shoot you a message!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure the feed approach is ok or the ammonia doesn’t matter

MN makes a good point on final pages about some strains wanting ammonia vs carbon feed but in the end our homes are providing both options by contamination inputs and it’s all going to work fine for ol fritz

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure the feed approach is ok or the ammonia doesn’t matter

MN makes a good point on final pages about some strains wanting ammonia vs carbon feed but in the end our homes are providing both options by contamination inputs and it’s all going to work fine for ol fritz
Fantastic, thank you very much!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back