Teton mountain build thread Reefer 750XXL

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO excited guys/gals I am finally getting a large tank once again. so thought I might as well start a build thread here!

the story; (in case you are board at work and need to kill some time )
its been a long journey back to the big boys...
its been over a decade since I had my 240 gallon, I move to Tetons( Jackson hole wy) and had to sale that tank.
many years with out reefers, then I got back in with a 75 that was fun but my living and life situation changed so I sold off the LR/fish and corals and went to Thailand for 6 months...

fast forward a few years I got the ich to get back in so I went with a cheap 40br form petco 1per gallon sale. I drilled it, it broke...I drove 200miles RT to get another. drilled that once success....but I could never get the bulk head to stop leaking. so next logical step was get a better tank.

this was a tough one as housing, like any resort town is expensive not much available and you dont get much. so this was tricky I wanted a big tank but not knowing where life would take me I needed to be practical so I went with a 90 gallon SCA 36x24x24 I called it my little big tank. the most volume in a small foot print with out going stupid high...was a great tank rimless and sexy but I found I dont really like cubes, I kinda knew that but just wanted a reef.

we had the opportunity to do the floors in the room where the tank was so that meant a tank tear down move the 90 down stairs put the fish & corals in the 40br and the plan was to reset up the 90.

then I wanted a nano...to focus on RFA and mini max nems. looked at tons of tanks really wanted a peninsula tank and was set on the IM 20 but we could not find a place for the tank so I settled on the IM 25 had the build and goodie all planed out and was waiting for black Friday hoping to score a deal of two...while that was going on I needed to trim out my DIY stand for the 90 I never got "around" to it....then I started looking into stands everything form welded to 80/20 T slot to 100% plywood...was all set on a new DIY ply. stand but adding up all the parts from the new stand and new tank build going back in forth....the GF said why don't we have just one really nice tank!

I said you know you might just be on to something...hmm let me see do I want two good tanks or one tank I really really love! so the search for a new tank was born....I did not want to take days and weeks of online searching, joining FB groups and chatting on R2R like I did with the nano idea. the time to act was coming fast I needed to choose before the "permission" was taken away...I think every reefers know what I am talking about here...haha

I never really considered a Red sea tank before not sure why either?? but after a day of looking around I was between a water box 230.6 and the RS Reefer 750XXL
one caveat was to have a nice stand and everything must be inside that stand. the 90 sumps was showing...cant have that again. so these 2 tanks fit that bill. :D

the WB stand was nice with 4 doors 2 for sump and 1 for ATO and 1 for controller gear. I loved that.
there blue Friday 10% off sale came up I could not find out if they had it in stock or not so that came and went got a hold of them a few days after and they said It would be 4-6 weeks out I thought to myself more like 6-8 because things always take longer...
so that made my choice pretty easy it was a red sea reefer 750XXL!!

now back to the build...
tank
Red sea reefer 750XXL V3 sump in white 3/4" rimless glass
debated going bare bottom but in the end I went with 80# of caribsea special grade reef sand going for a shallow SB

flow:
I was all over on this one but BRS door buster help that one out. I got the maxspect XF250 Gyre then a cpl days later the slave pump to go with it.

lighting:
this one was pretty easy for me as I had one 24" reefbreaders V2 over my 90 gallon and it did very well. so the logical step was to get a 2nd one so that's what I did. there slim and sleek and put out a lot of light. I think there over looked in the lighting department..

filtration:
Be using my reefocto skimmer form the 90 its rated for 150 gallon I think + a nice big ATS
most likely add a UV as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we got around a foot of snow in the last 48 hours and instead if worrying how I am gonna get this beast in I went and did some gravity therapy...
On the plus side I did get a BRS pkg in, the goodies are starting to arrive.
8a504cb7989bd2b19806d1709c90d54a.jpg
eeeb360ae4bcf41b77e5fc2479da9d24.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got that shoulder dolly to help lift the tank in... i'll let you know if its worth it or not.

took the tv off the wall...just painted at mounted it there a few weeks ago that did not last long if only I knew...haha
patched the holes gonna let it dry over night and sand and paint tomorrow best I can. then go get the tank!

I am hoping the weather holds out I still can get up my unpaved "drive way" AKA old horse pen. as long as it does not rise above freezing I should be ok.

placed yet another order from BRS this time for all RODI replacement including a 100 GPD membrane some PVC, clamps, and black soft tubing that I might use with the manifold.

still need to get a reactor and heaters.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank. The move wont' be fun. Thankfully it only happens once. I have the Reefer 650 Peninsula which I believe is the same weight. I am loving the tank and think you will love yours too.

yeah getting it in was no joke! in the snow and 4 of us...lets just say we got out working in for the day...or week lol

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress on the stand is being made...

I was hoping to complete the stand today. However looks like you have to get the tank on first then level it the add the bottom and doors...

So gotta get a small army together to get the tank on. But coming together for sure!
a71d4db4ef580db9ae2235e46d8ee45b.jpg
8fa2f2ef35c2000afef7b5bb974cc4ce.jpg
d94fdce5be0208c4a4bb74f7f9ecd35f.jpg
abb0b26929ad947e61a4a178a0d75726.jpg
0ac9a7fede4b0af54d77a1c9ada92526.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's not centered on the wall but need to leave room to get the 40br out of the way before we can get the tank on.

A small detail I did not think about.

a nice reef is so much better than the Tv I mounted there 3 weeks ago. We decided that the Tv should not be the focal point in the living room.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today's update:
I ordered my QT supplies and meds. a little less that $100 bucks i was not planning to spend but hopefully in the end it will be worth it.

for meds I got:
focus + API general cure to add to food
copper power for copper treatment

a cpl ammonia badges
a replacement pieces for my HOB AC50
and some Seachem bio metrix as it does not adsorb copper thus causing you to add more.
I bought new heaters so my old ones are going in to the QT tanks

i might DIY some sponge filters too

now I just need to get some Fritz turbo start 900

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this was something I did not think of my current holding tank is in the way of getting the 750 up on the stand.

Got all the meds and bacteria ordered.

But I still have to move the tank to get the new one up I a safe way with out nocking over the 4obr..totally over looked this.

18980d8ca6d85327d770086eeae6154f.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oxide30 that amazing I thought about getting those hydraulic carts and doing the same...

wow looks like you got your work out in to. how did you get those OSB board to stay on the stairs??

BTW your friend in the black jacket looks as excited to help as a few on mine..haha

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back