Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish list is fine. I will let @4FordFamily elaborate on how and what order to add the tangs.
I think the list is fine but for two things (regarding tangs namely).

A purple and yellow may clash hard due to being from the same genus (zebrasoma). Naso tangs grow larger than your tank will allow in relatively short order. If you plan to do a larger tank in a few years you may be alright.

Your mix may work but with tangs nothing is a guarantee, obviously. I’d add a third zebrasoma like a Scopas, black, or gem instead of the purple and replace the naso with it. The kole should be fine with that selection as well.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the list is fine but for two things (regarding tangs namely).

A purple and yellow may clash hard due to being from the same genus (zebrasoma). Naso tangs grow larger than your tank will allow in relatively short order. If you plan to do a larger tank in a few years you may be alright.

Your mix may work but with tangs nothing is a guarantee, obviously. I’d add a third zebrasoma like a Scopas, black, or gem instead of the purple and replace the naso with it. The kole should be fine with that selection as well.

thank you so much for chiming in I have learned so much from you two about QTing. yeah I do have a friend with a 14' tank I am sure we would love the nano that said I am OK scratching it from the list in favor of a few more wrasses.

so for tangs here is my new updated list:
regal
powder blue - would love love LOVE an Achilles just not sure its the right fit both price point and getting it through QT thoughts?

yellow
kole

as far as QTing going I was thinking of doing the tangs in groups the yellow and Kole with another small fish then the larger tangs together.
I have 2 -40br QT tanks one for copper + focus API GC then tank transfer to prazipro.

I thought I read some where the regal tangs dont do well in copper??

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much for chiming in I have learned so much from you two about QTing. yeah I do have a friend with a 14' tank I am sure we would love the nano that said I am OK scratching it from the list in favor of a few more wrasses.

so for tangs here is my new updated list:
regal
powder blue - would love love LOVE an Achilles just not sure its the right fit both price point and getting it through QT thoughts?

yellow
kole

as far as QTing going I was thinking of doing the tangs in groups the yellow and Kole with another small fish then the larger tangs together.
I have 2 -40br QT tanks one for copper + focus API GC then tank transfer to prazipro.

I thought I read some where the regal tangs dont do well in copper??

Couple things. Regal tangs do just fine in copper, it's chloroquine phosphate they don't do well in.

40b's should be fine QTing a few tangs at a time.

On the Achilles, they are probably a little more difficult to QT just from the standpoint of getting them to eat (key here is live brine and blackworms on hand to get them Kickstarted).
They are an awesome fish. Only a PBT + Achilles may not end well. You'd probably want a 3rd acanthurus. This is the same battle I went through and how I ended up with 3 acanthurus + 3 zebrasoma + Blue hippo + Kole.

I did keep powder brown and Achilles for a few months before I added my PBT. Now my Achilles is the aggressor. PBTs are typically far more nasty, but not in my case. My powder brown was a terror in QT and now is the most docile of my tangs. If you aren't going to do a naso, then you will probably want a large zebrasoma like a sailfin or desjardini for acting tank boss. Just my .02

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things. Regal tangs do just fine in copper, it's chloroquine phosphate they don't do well in.

On the Achilles, they are probably a little more difficult to QT just from the standpoint of getting them to eat (key here is live brine and blackworms on hand to get them Kickstarted).
They are an awesome fish. Only a PBT + Achilles may not end well. You'd probably want a 3rd acanthurus. This is the same battle I went through and how I ended up with 3 acanthurus + 3 zebrasoma + Blue hippo + Kole.

I did keep powder brown and Achilles for a few months before I added my PBT. Now my Achilles is the aggressor. PBTs are typically far more nasty, but not in my case. My powder brown was a terror in QT and now is the most docile of my tangs. If you aren't going to do a naso, then you will probably want a large zebrasoma like a sailfin or desjardini for acting tank boss. Just my .02

I was thinking of a desjardini but did not want to get greedy on the tangs...haha

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree I wouldn’t mix two acanthurus that similar in shape/temperament without at least a third present but you’re pushing it at that point.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree I wouldn’t mix two acanthurus that similar in shape/temperament without at least a third present but you’re pushing it at that point.

so how do you guys feel about 1 acanthurus (PBT) and 1 Paracanthurus (hippo) with 1 zebrasoma ( yellow ) and 1 Ctenochaetus strigosus
Kole) think I still should add a 3rd tang to the list?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I should try to get a small PBT then? any know if the powered brown is a aggressive as the powered blue?
Smaller 2.5-3.5 inches is best.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank looks great

thank you it's going slower than I thought it would but that is OK as we all know nothing good is this hobby happens fast.

hopefully today I can move the holding tank out of the way and get the QTs set up and start that process so I can a few friends over to help get the tank on the stand.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back