TGC Cherry Bomb Bounce

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
44C02F90-716C-4B38-806C-E8E815D62B26.jpeg

It’s kind of hard to see but the axial corallites are starting to “bounce”.
Don’t know if it’s good or bad.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tissue is away from the skin and bouncy, then there is a bacterial issue... cannot remember what it is called, sorry. If it is spreading, then you might have to isolate the frag, but most of the time, it does not spread.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see what you are referring to. The developing corallites?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what your talking about , I have to ask what lighting , program do you use ?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its bouncing from being UV burned and causing keloid , just like the "bounce mushrooms " maybe you can sell it for 100x times what its worth now ....

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydras UV diodes are not true UVA/UVB ionizing wavelengths like T5’s or halides. If it’s a setting issue it’s from the extra whites I’ve slowly been adding over the last 3 months. That entire top section was frag’d 3 months ago and then exploded with new growth all around.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look up the spectrum on those white bulbs , the majority of /mol to the 450nm spike is from them, people are running these things backwards imho ,it shows the spectrum as you change the settings , I know of people who run mainly the white bulbs for growth I have done it myself doesnt give you that look that some people want but the point Im making is , If I want things to bounce , I run the UV and violet high , boom they bounce, if I run them under lights without these bulbs they heal up , some corals start to react badly to the UV , but some people want the Chernobyl look , I get it

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an actual disease. It can kill coral. I once had a Tyree Pink Lem that had a single branch that had a whole bunch of these the size of kernels or corn and some larger than that - it did look cool. I talked with one of the Drs. at a show (mac, fenner, I don't remember) and then I went home and cut that branch off and threw it away. Mine never spread.

Everybody know that I do not think that most of the LEDs on the market are all that great for acropora, but this is not a LED issue. My Radiums and Phoenix bulbs have real UV (UVA - nothing really has UVB) in larger amounts and they do not do this to corals - this is no "LED UV" which is really just violet.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be hyperplasia? Found this in a thread a few years ago...

Mother colony has relatively advanced hyperplasia...

I think this person is referring to these growths/bubbles on the coral:

1571589265359.jpeg

Link to the thread:

Did some research about this disease and this is what I found: (Note this is quoted from a website.)

• Hyperplasia (hyperplasm): A biological process that leads to an increase in the number of cells in a tissue or organ, thereby increasing the bulk of the tissue or the organ (fig.35). A hyperplasm is a mass formed through the increase in the number of cells. It appears that such growth originate from a single budded polyp that undergoes localized, rapid growth, while retaining functional fusion of its tissues with those covering the normal colony skeletonas well as reproductive properties and are found in most coral species. Although, it originates from somatic cells (non sex cell) mutations, they may well be a source of instant new species development (Veron, 2000).
Link to this website:

Based off of the definition given for the disease, I think UV could be a likely cause or like @jda said, a bacterial infection.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be hyperplasia? Found this in a thread a few years ago...

I think this person is referring to these growths/bubbles on the coral:

1571589265359.jpeg

Link to the thread:

Did some research about this disease and this is what I found: (Note this is quoted from a website.)

• Hyperplasia (hyperplasm): A biological process that leads to an increase in the number of cells in a tissue or organ, thereby increasing the bulk of the tissue or the organ (fig.35). A hyperplasm is a mass formed through the increase in the number of cells. It appears that such growth originate from a single budded polyp that undergoes localized, rapid growth, while retaining functional fusion of its tissues with those covering the normal colony skeletonas well as reproductive properties and are found in most coral species. Although, it originates from somatic cells (non sex cell) mutations, they may well be a source of instant new species development (Veron, 2000).
Link to this website:

Based off of the definition given for the disease, I think UV could be a likely cause or like @jda said, a bacterial infection.
Hope this helps...
That’s what it looks like. I’ll be keeping a close eye on her and see if resolved or advances. I’m not going to change my lighting that has been successful for all of my other corals because 2 corallites are experiencing this. If it gets worse I’ll take a different course of action. Thanks everyone.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud, there were two threads about a few months ago, I think they self resolved but the tissue looked fluffy like yours. Keep an eye on them Charlie. The thought was bacterial as jda stated above.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ask because I went dark from forums for 2 or 3 years and came back to alot of people running this AB+ , I only know this by reading post like yours and other "I have a problem" post's , radiation poising is cumulative , so I wonder if this new fad of spectrum setting is a good or bad thing , going on posts , its not looking good imho. With that said I think the lights are amazing , just offer a bit too much user control. Sunlight is sunlight . Ive never dove and saw the spectrum AB+ throws out lol , 15k yep ,20k yep , even 23k (deeper) but its all white looking to human eyes.... as a side joke , when I stopped posting it was only people with radions cooking coral, now its alot more , oh wait they copied the radion spec , I hope it all works out with your coral , its beautiful btw !

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ask because I went dark from forums for 2 or 3 years and came back to alot of people running this AB+ , I only know this by reading post like yours and other "I have a problem" post's , radiation poising is cumulative , so I wonder if this new fad of spectrum setting is a good or bad thing , going on posts , its not looking good imho. With that said I think the lights are amazing , just offer a bit too much user control. Sunlight is sunlight . Ive never dove and saw the spectrum AB+ throws out lol , 15k yep ,20k yep , even 23k (deeper) but its all white looking to human eyes.... as a side joke , when I stopped posting it was only people with radions cooking coral, now its alot more , oh wait they copied the radion spec , I hope it all works out with your coral , its beautiful btw !
I think the AB+ program is a safe choice for most people and supposedly mimics Coral Labs’ spectrum and output that they were getting when using T5s or whatever (IIRC). It’s definitely blue heavy, but it’s a good starting point and pleasing to the eye for many. I think those problem threads you’re reading are coincidentally using AB+, compounded with other issues, possibly, but I don’t think it was the program itself.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure that it is not spreading inside that one coral... and especially to others.

The light discussion is a nice distraction, but this was happening to acropora before anybody even heard of LEDs.

In extreme cases, this can crash a tank, but I am talking like VERY, VERY extreme... I have never seen this myself, but the PhD had some evidence and experience that it could get bad. I had my one bad branch for 6+ months before I culled it - never an issue.

Back