OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, we've all been there so no judgement here! This too shall pass!
I’m praying I get through this without any mass losses in terms of SPS and the Clams, so far they don’t seem to be too bad but the deresa has attached to the glass on the bottom.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I like to keep things real so… here’s how many algae/bacteria types are taking over!
P.S. I don’t clean the front glass often as nobody really sees it 24/7 unlike my 4’ tank which is seen almost all day.
CC0C1BDE-B730-426D-BD36-A3B6785EAF3D.jpeg

0B06A1E1-9F7C-45DC-ADC4-66A75A7B085A.jpeg
that ricordea is fire though. :star-struck:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m praying I get through this without any mass losses in terms of SPS and the Clams, so far they don’t seem to be too bad but the deresa has attached to the glass on the bottom.
I had a Crocea once and was surprised just how hardy they were once they acclimated. I had a chiller and the controller malfunctioned and when I found out the water was 49°! I thought for sure the entire tank would crash but amazingly, I did not lose any coral or inverts and of my 7 fish, only lost 3 (even though they were all swirling lifelessly on the sand when I found them). It's crazy but only the chromis and damsels perished.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that ricordea is fire though. :star-struck:
This guy is my happiest coral now!
He was sat with 2 mouths for the longest time (ever since I got him until only this week), and now he’s finally splitting into 4 pieces!
image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Crocea once and was surprised just how hardy they were once they acclimated. I had a chiller and the controller malfunctioned and when I found out the water was 49°! I thought for sure the entire tank would crash but amazingly, I did not lose any coral or inverts and of my 7 fish, only lost 3 (even though they were all swirling lifelessly on the sand when I found them). It's crazy but only the chromis and damsels perished.
I’m hoping my Maxima goes that way, my Deresa is a tank which I know already - he went from deaths door to thriving in this tank.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I like to keep things real so… here’s how many algae/bacteria types are taking over!
P.S. I don’t clean the front glass often as nobody really sees it 24/7 unlike my 4’ tank which is seen almost all day.
CC0C1BDE-B730-426D-BD36-A3B6785EAF3D.jpeg
I’ll be scared to see mine when I get home :anguished-face:.

I mean in all honestly the tank doesn’t look bad. Just the glass but if it doesn’t bother you it shouldn’t bother anyone. I’m sure your algae issue will pass quickly. Any cyano eradication you want to implement to the tank?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be scared to see mine when I get home :anguished-face:.

I mean in all honestly the tank doesn’t look bad. Just the glass but if it doesn’t bother you it shouldn’t bother anyone. I’m sure your algae issue will pass quickly. Any cyano eradication you want to implement to the tank?
Honestly, every other time I’ve faced Cyano (the 2.5 year long battle…) I’ve just left time to beat it.
Maybe this time I’ll continue to use the Baster trick and just hit it with direct flow.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just went at the Algae with the baster trick and I’ll say, the majority of the ‘algae’ was cyano so it worked nicely :)
Here’s a new FTS after i went over the sand with the baster :)
49270CB7-738C-4EF5-AE1E-9CC17265005A.jpeg

And, in my other FTS (before I hit everything with the Baster) you can see my Deresa was growing into the front wall - no seriously, it was at a point it was just slanted and touching the glass.
I’ve managed to get to its byssal threads and not damage them. So he’s now been moved further back (as you can see in the FTS) and slightly deeper sand so hopefully it won’t attach to the glass again.
CE7CA0EC-952B-4B08-B469-B86CBF6B3603.jpeg

I also have exciting news on the Maxima clam!
Look at the new row of scutes starting to come in, and you know what it’s like with clams… if they’re growing they’re usually loving life :)
image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 new corals for this tank today!
One isnt actually what it looked like in the LFS, in the LFS this coral was a dark black base with vibrant orange coral kites, in my tank it’s brown with hints of yellow. But anyway, here are the three;
Acropora turaki (green base with blue polyps)
426A975B-8BE1-4A9C-BA10-63B071C37BD7.jpeg

Acropora tenuis (currently pale but looks to be going blue with yellow tips)
FCA87604-A01F-4BE5-BDDC-E154A8E86436.jpeg

And the black acro that isn’t actually black… Would love ideas on how to bring out that black colouring, in the LFS the lights had little to no white so I may go that route for half of the day :)
B1E8E0E9-3865-491C-8446-EC5E1C3D3E60.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger and did go down to the bottom of the rock to find any detritus build up. I was hoping I’d find something to prove I had all 3 Pink streaks and…
I only saw two wrasses in that time. One was a pink streak and the other was my leopard. I didn’t see any remains at all of the missing pink streaks, I’ve only seen two this week (I believe it was Tuesday I saw two). I have yet to see all 3 in a few weeks and tonight I only saw one… Any ideas what may have happened? My only thought was the back chamber and I haven’t seen them in there.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't give up on there being two as it might have jammed itself in a hole in a rock or something. I hate to say it but my only other thought is that a good CUC can make very fast work of a fish. When my longnose died I only found a bit of head and spine the next morning.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger and did go down to the bottom of the rock to find any detritus build up. I was hoping I’d find something to prove I had all 3 Pink streaks and…
I only saw two wrasses in that time. One was a pink streak and the other was my leopard. I didn’t see any remains at all of the missing pink streaks, I’ve only seen two this week (I believe it was Tuesday I saw two). I have yet to see all 3 in a few weeks and tonight I only saw one… Any ideas what may have happened? My only thought was the back chamber and I haven’t seen them in there.
Idk much about Cryptic wrasse, but because their name is, well that, you think maybe the second one is just being elusive? The third I think I agree with Sam that unfortunately it may have died. I’m in the same boat as you because my Midas Blenny still hasn’t appeared. Though your wrasse may just be hiding in the chamber under something you can’t see at simple glance.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk much about Cryptic wrasse, but because their name is, well that, you think maybe the second one is just being elusive? The third I think I agree with Sam that unfortunately it may have died. I’m in the same boat as you because my Midas Blenny still hasn’t appeared. Though your wrasse may just be hiding in the chamber under something you can’t see at simple glance.
I believe it could be hiding, the third was last sighted (assuming I haven’t been seeing all 3 but thinking 2 of them were the same fish) at some point between the 28th of December and the 2nd of January so I would say that guy has possibly passed and the CUC just picked him up before me.
Hopefully tomorrow I find my 2nd Pinkie though as the two loved eachother and rarely left each other’s side.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it could be hiding, the third was last sighted (assuming I haven’t been seeing all 3 but thinking 2 of them were the same fish) at some point between the 28th of December and the 2nd of January so I would say that guy has possibly passed and the CUC just picked him up before me.
Hopefully tomorrow I find my 2nd Pinkie though as the two loved eachother and rarely left each other’s side.
I mean it’s either gone or like you said, which I think is highly possible, they are playing tag and your seeing all of them but you think you only see one lol. Crazy idea here lol, but could moving some rocks around gently help? I know you wanted to change the scape a bit but then decided to keep it.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it’s either gone or like you said, which I think is highly possible, they are playing tag and your seeing all of them but you think you only see one lol. Crazy idea here lol, but could moving some rocks around gently help? I know you wanted to change the scape a bit but then decided to keep it.
I did actually move rocks around tonight - which is why I say I believe I’ve lost both. I only actually saw 1 of them. Then again, I saw a glimpse of my yasha and he vanished and only saw one shrimp (the Wurdemanni).
Here’s a late night FTS :)
400C4265-0F5D-4D7C-842A-AA1F150CBB4B.jpeg

P.S. Reflections are bad at night so I tried to get rid of some with a grey towel and failed but was successful at the same time haha.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, during that 25L water change, I launched a hermit across the room accidentally.
P.S. I didn’t know it was a hermit, I did this change at 9pm and so I was tired.

Basically, I saw a shell in the bottom of a bucket rocks were kept in. I thought nothing of it but saw what I thought were ‘Four grains of sand’ then out of nowhere they started to come out of the shell. Then it started to come all the way out and scared the life out of me. So I did what anyone does when they’re scared and launched it.
Getting him back was a different matter as he was stuck on the cable behind the tank, but long story short I wasn’t thinking normally and my final attempt ended up dislodging the cable and then figured out I could’ve just moved it up and picked up the crab. He’s now chilling in the tank, but now I will not be picking up a hermit and instead I’ll be sticking to netting them.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have you ever considered Chalk Bass for your nano? Underrated IMO.
I have actually but I never see them anymore, I also saw a stunning Cypho purpurascens which I would love if I could combat the risk of aggression. If you’ve never seen one then here’s a photo I got of this beauty :)
F548DE1C-7EB1-4EE1-B977-25E639FFD8FC.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back