i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of growing an encrusting coral on my clam skeleton
Do it! I would but I don’t have the room in my nano nor an encrusting coral that I know will do well in my 4’ tank.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small maxima clams have dismal success rates. They are IMO the hardest photosynthetic clam. They are very fussy.

I very recently lost a large maxima clam in my tank that I had for several months. It hasn’t put shell growth in a while, and nothing I did would change anything. I gave it three separate FW dips within month, but it didn’t help. No parasitic snails.

I still don’t know why it died.

Now I have 17 clams.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small maxima clams have dismal success rates. They are IMO the hardest photosynthetic clam. They are very fussy.

I very recently lost a large maxima clam in my tank that I had for several months. It hasn’t put shell growth in a while, and nothing I did would change anything. I gave it three separate FW dips within month, but it didn’t help. No parasitic snails.

I still don’t know why it died.

Now I have 17 clams.
It may have had something to do with the water change then as it could’ve been hit directly by the new water and stressed him (although I try to keep my salinity and temperature of the new water as close to the old water as possible).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well… could you say no?
IMG_8482.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had that fish, but I’ve always loved it! So beautiful!
I’ve always seen them and loved them but never thought I’d actually have one. I love the regular Firefish but these guys have a ‘top hat’ dorsal fin.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after counting this system has… 12 fish! With a 13th in the future and a 14th planned but not jumped on yet. I can’t believe it’s only been 1.5 years and my system has most of my dream fish to own!

Also, update on the Lavandula… she is one of the biggest in the tank now. Nearly the same size as my pintail (the largest in the system). My Cinctus goby may move to my 4’ if he continues to peck at my more prized Acros and doesn’t go for the less prioritised Acros.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never understand my fish… For some reason, they love to swim into my elegance. My Pintail absolutely adores swimming right through it.

And on another note, look how big it is now!
IMG_8495.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been testing out different lighting settings this morning and, ironically my new preferred lighting has 6% whites. That surprised me when I usually love whites more. Just look at those colours on the corals though!
IMG_8500.jpeg

IMG_8499.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t resist it, I saw it had a bit of green and it was sold. I believe this is another Crocea and I won’t do the same mistake.
IMG_8501.jpeg

IMG_8504.jpeg
I’m so tempted to try again myself. My LFS had massive (I forget if they were deresa or crocea) on sale. Or would a maxima be a better staring clam?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t resist it, I saw it had a bit of green and it was sold. I believe this is another Crocea and I won’t do the same mistake.
IMG_8501.jpeg

IMG_8504.jpeg
Awesome!

What mistake did you make last time? I thought it just died randomly.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

What mistake did you make last time? I thought it just died randomly.
I think when I put the water into the DT, I knocked it slightly which resulted in torn byssal threads.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so tempted to try again myself. My LFS had massive (I forget if they were deresa or crocea) on sale. Or would a maxima be a better staring clam?
Crocea are the best from what I’ve seen but Maxima are a good second choice if you can’t get a crocea though. Deresa are easy but they are more prone to disease and succumbing to them.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8501.jpeg

IMG_8504.jpeg
Okay, I didn’t realise how fast a baby clam actually grows. I’ve always started with fairly large clams that don’t show a huge growth difference.
This clam has a very different appearance with its growth and you can definitely see it. In one week this guy has a whole new row of scutes!
IMG_8550.jpeg

Also, it moved down to the sand on its own which was interesting to watch as it slowly moved itself.

And, another growth update. Look at this brute! He must be 4-6” long and 3” wide. I don’t see why people struggle with them so much as he just grows and grows similarly to what my deresa was like except this guy just grows and doesn’t slow.
IMG_8545.jpeg

IMG_8554.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back