That's not a cube!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from the builder that the glass is cut and edges are polished, so I guess it's time to start a build thread.

The very first time I posted online (outside of R2R) about starting a new build, the first person to reply felt it was his sworn duty to point out my "mistake". The question I was asking was irrelevant since I had clearly committed the cardinal sin of being wrong on the internet. Turns out that 30x30x24 "wasn't a cube", and this person really, really needed to make sure I knew that. So here we go - trolls be danged, this is the virtual home of my "It's not a cube" 90 gallon cube build.

The tanks - the main display will be 30x30x24 eurobraced, 3 side starfire on a powder coated steel frame. Next to it I'll have a little home made 12x12x8 frag grow out tank.
Untitled.png

The stand - I was originally content with building my own stand, but tank builders like to tie in their warranty with using their stand, so there's that. I'll build a small extension to add next to the steel frame, making the whole thing 48" wide, and wrap the whole thing in removable front and side panels.

The sump - I'm still deciding, but more than likely will go with a Trigger Emerald 34, though I'm also considering a fijicube 24 or 30, and last option the eshopps R200. I like the flow-over style filter sock setup, all of them fits my existing skimmer, and add a fuge - which I still need to pick a light for.

The lighting - I want to enjoy my tank, not worry about spectrum or intensity adjustments. Aquatic life t5 hybrid, probably with an ATI coral plus and blue plus bulb in each section to get a middle of the road blue from the T5s. I'll put a Kessil A360we in the middle so I can ramp up/down with my Apex and use it to adjust the colour visually.

The plumbing. My current 75 was a used tank I picked up as a newbie, so I've lived with going on 5 years of adding this, changing that. It's a mess. This time it's going to be planned properly, and assembled right the first time with colour coded pipes and nice grey fittings.

Stocking. I have another thread over here discussing stocking a 90 cube. There's tons of resources around about suggested tank sizes for any given species, but the dimensions of a cube don't fall into the "usual" recommendations which all equate volume to standard rectangular tank dimensions. 30x30x24 may not be a cube, but with a square footprint, it's also not a rectangle. Great, I'm building a tank with existential issues. I hope it won't need therapy.

plumbing.jpg

I don't have all the cash up front, so it's going to be a slow build over several months. This is somewhat intentional, to protect me from myself and making it harder to get caught in rash decisions based on impatience and an eagerness to get things wet.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking plan. When I did my last build, I wanted the Trigger, but it was too expensive and went with the Eshopps RS200. Has worked out well and was more affordable. Best of luck with your build.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking plan. When I did my last build, I wanted the Trigger, but it was too expensive and went with the Eshopps RS200. Has worked out well and was more affordable. Best of luck with your build.

The R-200 is 2nd on my list, and it's going to depend on funds. I absolutely want a fuge in there though for the chaeto and pod population, so I can eventually support a mandarin.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'll teach you to cheat on R2R!! Looking good!
We don't care what you call it as long as fish and coral can live in it.

Actually it was that particular troll who pushed me to leave the other and sign up here in the first place!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close enough to a cube for government work. Welcome to Reef2reef it truly is a great group of people. It comes down to respect and that's what I love about this forum is the respect.
IMG_20190105_202101_01.gif

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new "cube" is 30x30x15. Technically it's a half cube. I'm excited to see your CUBE come to life!

I came really close to something similar and took me a while to choose between 30x30x18, 30x30x20 and 30x30x24. A visit to a LFS reminded me that I really liked the added dimension the height gives.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy! Another CUBE!

Might I suggest a fijicube.com sump? I love mine and they are very very affordable.

I am using the 24 on my 93 cube and the matching overflow.

Will is fantastic to deal with.

Welcome aboard!

EDIT: BTW, I am plumbing a 18x18x11 cube in with the main tank like yours is but it's 12 feet away in the opposite corner. I wish I could do sketchup to show the plan.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy! Another CUBE!

Might I suggest a fijicube.com sump? I love mine and they are very very affordable.

I am using the 24 on my 93 cube and the matching overflow.

Will is fantastic to deal with.

Welcome aboard!

EDIT: BTW, I am plumbing a 18x18x11 cube in with the main tank like yours is but it's 12 feet away in the opposite corner. I wish I could do sketchup to show the plan.

Thanks for the input! I've been up and down your build thread as well to see what others are doing. I'll reconsider fiji once I know what the landed costs are for a Trigger. A local shop is expected to start selling them, so it will save me a chunk on shipping which is considerable when it's outside the US.

Sketchup isn't all that hard to learn. I learned it myself in an afternoon - granted, I'm an IT guy, so maybe I have a certain aptitude for that kind of thing. Being able to build the system virtually has helped a lot in planning the plumbing and fittings shopping list, as well as showing people what I want to do without having to explain it.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I've been up and down your build thread as well to see what others are doing. I'll reconsider fiji once I know what the landed costs are for a Trigger. A local shop is expected to start selling them, so it will save me a chunk on shipping which is considerable when it's outside the US.

Sketchup isn't all that hard to learn. I learned it myself in an afternoon - granted, I'm an IT guy, so maybe I have a certain aptitude for that kind of thing. Being able to build the system virtually has helped a lot in planning the plumbing and fittings shopping list, as well as showing people what I want to do without having to explain it.

I am an IT admin with a mental block against 3d drawing. LOL.

Simple stuff for 3d printing in TinkerCAD I am ok with.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back