The 120 Experience

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm going to be using this thread to document my tank as time goes by. I intended on this being a slow setup, but once I started I couldn't stop working on it the past week.

I recently became a first time homeowner so obviously the first thing I did was think of setting up my dream tank as I will finally have a spot I will be staying for quite a while :D The plan is a 120 SPS dominant build with some LPS like hammers and torches for the bottom lower flow areas to add some movement to the tank. I will also have a bit of acans, favia, and other various LPS scattered around to fill in low light and flow areas.

Time to go shopping$

Marineland 120 gallon 4 x 2 x 2 tank with Majesty stand delivered

20180504_190100_HDR.jpg

Time to drill! I taped off the top edge and had the water flowing that way to avoid getting little bits of glass stuck between the frame and the tank. Drilling two 65mm holes for the Shadow Overflow and 35mm holes for 3/4" returns.

20180504_192350_HDR.jpg

The worst part is over...

20180504_201510_HDR.jpg

Painted the back with a flat black latex paint and a roller with a sponge to get near the rims. Painted tank with the stand and sump

20180504_215607_HDR.jpg

Getting the plumbing out of the way. The overflow box is a Shadow Overflow with a bean animal style drain. I'm leaving the return open to changes in the future with just a silicone hose for now. I might get a Cor20 and make a manifold, but for now I just have a cheap return pump I had laying around to get it started. the return nozzles are 2 of the random flow generators. After running the return I have it is clear I am going to need to push more flow through them to get the most out of it, but they are still doing a fairly good job at least circulating the water.

20180505_204601_HDR.jpg

20180505_204656_HDR.jpg

Focusing on the lighting and starting the water. RO/DI is essential! I took two 4 stage units I had and made it into a 7 stage 150GPD RO/DI system. Still haven't figured out what I'm going to do about a storage container so filling everything manually for now. From the tap I am getting 60psi and with the booster pump a good 90psi. For lighting I am going with the Aquaticlife T5/LED hybrid. I have 2 blue+, one coral+, and one actinic bulb in for now. I am going to be putting 2 AI primes in the middle to start with and have plans to add 2 more as the tank fills in for more even coverage and less shadowing. I hung these with some anchored hooks drilled into the ceiling that is rated for 70lbs.

RODI.jpg

20180511_233718_HDR.jpg

20180511_211929_HDR.jpg

While the tank was filling up I started working on my panel for the electrical components. I want to make sure everything has a drip loop and a pretty difficult time getting wet. I am just using a black board that is actually a chalkboard on wood. I am planning to add some framing (with a few spots for cord clusters to exit out the side) so I can permanently mount it on my wall with enough space away from the wall for cords to comfortably sit. I have a tablet I will be mounting to this as well for a display.

20180512_105309_HDR.jpg

My sump is a 40 breeder DIY sump. The first section is going to be a fuge... possibly lit with a Kessil H80 with cheato and possibly other macro and some marinepure blocks to house pods. There was a little splashing because the water level is so high in this section so I had to run to the hardware store and get a piece of plexiglass and cut it to fit as good as I could. I did not want to be dealing with salt creep all over the place so I'm hoping this will hold up for a while. It's a little flimsy so I might glue on a brace to let it rest perpendicular to the first baffle to not block the flow, but still keep it from sagging too much. Open to ideas on any of this stuff!

20180513_122502_HDR.jpg

The second section of my sump is dedicated strictly to the skimmer. Decided to go with the Reef Octopus 200INT. I have another one of these skimmers and I've been very happy with the skimming they do. Right now it is a little lopsided because I have it on an eggcrate stand that needs a little more support. I'll be fixing that soon, but for now it is good enough for the break-in period.

20180513_122514_HDR.jpg

And here is the tank today. I used special grade dry sand and will be seeding it with BioSpira. Also had some Reef Saver rock laying around to throw in there to get it started, but will be adding about 70lbs of possibly Walt Smith Project Reef Rock, still undecided on that. My original plan was to use Pukani with Tonga Shelf and put together a bonsai style aquascape for maximum flow, but I'm starting to get a little impatient with waiting for that rock to come back to us with the recent ban. Might just go with a 2 large island setup with a couple smaller mounds here and there for coral I need to isolate. Either way I plan on having a lot of ins and outs for fish to swim through and not just a pile of rock. Guess I'll see how patient I can be with that. I will also be moving most the rock I have in the biocube shown in some of these pics over to the 120 when I am ready to transfer the fish.

20180513_102518_HDR.jpg

And here is the setup so far. The 120 is going to be the main display and the 29 Biocube is going to be a QT tank. I am going to leave some rock in there as I am just going to use it as an observation tank for both new fish and new coral. I am going to be using the bottom shelf in the stand of the Biocube to put a cube tank that will fit in there with just a couple PVC fittings for hiding spots and a HOB filter for water movement and gas exchange and that is it. I plan on using this tank in the event I need to medicate a fish. Thinking it would be best to have them in a darker place to minimize stress. This will be my first time running a full QT/hospital tank setup so definitely open to suggestions on that.

20180513_115918_HDR.jpg

Well, that's what I have so far. Started this a week ago and I'd say I'm a little more than half done with the build. The two black spots on the back wall of the tank are the Neptune Wav pumps I am running at an inverse pulse of 6 seconds each at 60%. The only thing I don't like about this is the pulse is a square wave and I wish it was more of a sine wave to ramp up and ramp down slower between the 6 seconds. I have them pointed toward the front glass and slightly upward, which seems like a good position for now, but hard to tell without having the aquascape ready. I put some frozen food in there yesterday to decompose and start the cycle and used that to quickly try to get an idea of the different flow patterns these offer. I definitely want to change it up during the day to provide some randomness, but still have some research to do on that. My end goal with all this is to have certain patterns override the auto programming when events like a storm comes in on the AI lights, or change intensity during certain moon cycles... if all that is possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read and if there are any comments/suggestions feel free to let me know :D

Happy reefing!

20180504_202007_HDR.jpg

20180513_115417_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! The drilling of the tank is always nerve-wracking. Following along.

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of that Shadow Overflow ? looks great.

I really like it. It takes up such a little amount of space and the space it does take up is not enough to block light from getting to where it needs to go. There is only a couple inches below the bottom of the box that is shaded. Pretty quiet too :) thank you

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp... first issue to the tank. My girlfriend decided to get another kitten over the weekend and now they chase each other around. They got behind the tanks and must have got into the cords because they pulled my skimmer over in my sump hard enough to crack the baffle all the way down :( Time to empty the sump to replace it and build a wall to keep them out.

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added four AI Primes for the LEDs. Having issues with updating the children, only one of them updated, the other two wont connect. Hoping to figure this out soon!

20180515_221953_HDR.jpg

20180515_221101_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple new parts, media reactor is hooked up. AI ended up sending me two new lights and now they all respond right away. Pretty happy with the service. Hooked the fuge light up and managed all my wires, but now I have a problem. I got a sapphire 39 unexpectedly that I really want to use. Me and my girlfriend would have to remove all the water, rock, and sand and go through the top again after removing the center brace. OR I could cut a hole in the side and make a side door... Not sure what to do yet

20180527_134421_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got around to finishing the wiring now that everything is hooked up. It looks a little messy from the front, but behind everything is sectioned off and zip tied. I cannot stand a nest of cords. A pic of the observation tank too. These coral and inverts have been in here for a few weeks waiting to be transferred. Thinking of giving it a few more weeks. No fish so there are pods all over the glass! Feeding this one every third day.

Board.jpg QT.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First real livestock going in. Yellow tang, Kole tang, 2 pom pom crabs, and 4 urchins. I know I'm doing it kinda backwards, but there is a reason. I also had a pretty large cleanup crew coming in, but I guess there was bad weather and it's sitting in a UPS hub overnight again. Hoping for the best on that one... :rolleyes:

first fish.jpg

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria shipment came a day late. Everything seems ok... acclimating now for about an hour. Also got a rainbow nem :) I hope he stays where I put him. The tangs are best buds and don't leave each other's side. Time to fire up the T5s.

cleanup.jpg
nem.jpg

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't post last month's pictures on here, but I will start with this month. I am planning on taking pics of the coral around the 15th of each month to document coral growth. I have noticed some and most are encrusting, especially the fox flame. I had to move a couple because I didn't feel like they were in ideal places to encrust. I am finally starting to get some color on my rock too and found my first spot of coralline on my WAV pump (yay).

Battlestag
battlestag.jpg

Candlelight? Anyone know a definitive ID on this one?
candle light.jpg

Conveyor belt of fleshdunce
conveyor belt of fleshdunce.jpg

Copps Cali Cali Acro
copps calicali acro.jpg

Dayglo milli
day glo milli.jpg

Fox Flame. This on is really starting to encrust. Hoping it will branch out soon as I have lost all but a spec of the green tip on the frag I got.
fox flame.jpg

PC Rainbow. I got this one pretty bleached out. Color is starting to come back.
pc rainbow.jpg

Raindrops on roses milli
raindrops on roses milli.jpg

Red Dragon. This has definitely started growing from when I got it.
red dragon.jpg

Red Robin. This one had to be relocated. I felt it was in a pretty bad spot and my cleaning magnet fell on it so that was the motivator to move it. Probably going to get a new glass cleaner.
red robin.jpg

Sungod Prostrata. This is the small part that broke off when I was trying to break the frag off the plug. It seems to be doing alright in low light. I have the base of the frag at the highest part of my tank so I'll find out best placement on this.
sungod prostrata.jpg

Unknown acro. Again, if anyone has an ID please let me know.
unknown acro.jpg

Full tank shot. I didn't want to turn off flow for any of these pics so excuse the blurry parts. I just want to see how it fills in over time.
full tank shot.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't post last month's pictures on here, but I will start with this month. I am planning on taking pics of the coral around the 15th of each month to document coral growth. I have noticed some and most are encrusting, especially the fox flame. I had to move a couple because I didn't feel like they were in ideal places to encrust. I am finally starting to get some color on my rock too and found my first spot of coralline on my WAV pump (yay).

Battlestag
battlestag.jpg

Candlelight? Anyone know a definitive ID on this one?
candle light.jpg

Conveyor belt of fleshdunce
conveyor belt of fleshdunce.jpg

Copps Cali Cali Acro
copps calicali acro.jpg

Dayglo milli
day glo milli.jpg

Fox Flame. This on is really starting to encrust. Hoping it will branch out soon as I have lost all but a spec of the green tip on the frag I got.
fox flame.jpg

PC Rainbow. I got this one pretty bleached out. Color is starting to come back.
pc rainbow.jpg

Raindrops on roses milli
raindrops on roses milli.jpg

Red Dragon. This has definitely started growing from when I got it.
red dragon.jpg

Red Robin. This one had to be relocated. I felt it was in a pretty bad spot and my cleaning magnet fell on it so that was the motivator to move it. Probably going to get a new glass cleaner.
red robin.jpg

Sungod Prostrata. This is the small part that broke off when I was trying to break the frag off the plug. It seems to be doing alright in low light. I have the base of the frag at the highest part of my tank so I'll find out best placement on this.
sungod prostrata.jpg

Unknown acro. Again, if anyone has an ID please let me know.
unknown acro.jpg

Full tank shot. I didn't want to turn off flow for any of these pics so excuse the blurry parts. I just want to see how it fills in over time.
full tank shot.jpg

Your aquascape really came out great. So many interesting areas to explore. Now just need those new corals to fill it up. :)

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquascape really came out great. So many interesting areas to explore. Now just need those new corals to fill it up. :)

Thank you! I'm thinking about getting another box of coral too, but with the rock changing I'm either expecting a bit of algae soon, or hopefully a coralline outbreak! I found the first spec of it on my WAV pump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back