The 240: Out of the ashes a Phoenix shall rise...

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I took down the 93 cube to take everything to my store that I opened in March. A virus, tanking economy and a few other factors are causing me to close said store. Rather that make preparations for Hari Kari I decided to move this reef home:

2020-05-04_15-23-08_165.jpeg

In order to do so, I have to break down the cousin 240 freshwater tank and move it home:

20200307_195015135_iOS.jpg

I am almost done with the stand. I have gathered the following equipment:

7 - Noopsyche K7 pro II (5 for use on tank and two backup/frag)
Curve 9 elite skimmer
Jaebo wifi doser
Several jaebo wavemakers (Can't beat them for the cost IMO)
A DCP12000 return pump and a DCP7000 backup
500 watt titanium heater and controller and several backup heaters with an Inkbird controller
A bunch of special grade reef floor and aragalive

That's it for the new.

The inhabitants are several softies, lps and a purple gorg along with this fish list:

Chocolate tang
3 x yellow tangs
Yellow belly regal
Tiny the 11" blonde naso
Engineer goby
4 azure damsels
Pair of mollie millers (laying eggs)
Pair of Oscillaris (laying eggs)
a lone barred dartfish (I want two more)
Scribbled Rabbitfish

About 150 pounds of completely coralline encrusted rock

The plan is to bring the stand home and get everything ready to drill the 240 and plumb it in one day. Moved it back against the wall and start filling the next day with new saltwater. The third day we turn on the flow and the fourth day we transfer all live stock and rock. It's ambitious, but, I have done crazier.

I won't even need to reprogram the lights just devise a new mounting scheme.

After that @Brew12 will help me dial in dosing so I can upgrade from kalk and we should be off to the races!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention the sump. I haven't decided yet. I may buy the one under the reef now. It belongs to a customer (long story). I have a 55 turned into a sump and a 75 that could be turned into one. The 125 would be impossible to remove should it ever leak so it's out.

I am also going to use a 20 long as a gravity fed top off. I went this route for a long time and it worked perfectly for years. All I did was clean the float weekly and replace it every year. Cheap, efficient and easy to adjust. That is if you aren't running kalk. They clog up and get ruined within a month or two if you do.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will be loading the tank up Saturday at 1 and moving it to my house, drilling the overflow then moving it inside onto the stand.

anyone want to help come eat pizza and lend a hand!

it’s only 660 pounds of glass. Easy peasy

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear about the store. You poured your heart into that. Good luck with getting everything moved. If I wasn't on the other side of the country I'd love to help out. Good luck with everything, I'm rooting for you and your family!

Bless you. It means a lot.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear about the store. You poured your heart into that. Good luck with getting everything moved. If I wasn't on the other side of the country I'd love to help out. Good luck with everything, I'm rooting for you and your family!

Thanks so much! My family and I will now be fine. We just need time to be together and catch up.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did I hear you say something about selling plants and frags in the future? I'm down with that as I have several tanks that need to be filled with both in the future. So when you are ready drop me a line and prices so I can assist in your hobby!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did I hear you say something about selling plants and frags in the future? I'm down with that as I have several tanks that need to be filled with both in the future. So when you are ready drop me a line and prices so I can assist in your hobby!

We will probably do it in a couple years. Right now, I want to enjoy the hobby, grow out my reef and finish my remodel and the truck. You know, relax and not work a whole lot. HAHAHAHAHA!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand parts are at the house and I ran out of pocket hole screws! I completely forgot to check and Lowes closed by that point. I will pick up more screws and get it assembled rest of the way tonight. Shouldn't take but 30 minutes not counting the plywood top and bottom.

I have my folks just about all lined up for the move and a truck (instead of the beater).

As a side note: I bought a pair of storm clowns off a customer and then turned around and sold them to someone else and regretted it instantly. Well, I am getting the hookup on another pair and golden head sleeper goby that arrive today. I hate that they are coming before the move but, they should be fine in the reef at the store until Tuesday.

Also, I reached an agreement with someone I trust to take care of the shark and the rays. He is picking them up Wednesday. I will miss them terribly but, he promised I can come visit and I get the first pup.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stand just about ready for tomorrow. I should finish it up right after dinner and get it set where it’s going but about 2 feet from the wall so I can plumb it

Figured out the hanger for the lights last night. Should be pretty slick.

pictures will be coming soon. I promise.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have the fish, corals and lights tonight.

New top off unit Friday will be running from my top off container I built last year. I decided against gravity fed but, I am plumbing in a float valve to the top off with a shut off and running 40 ft of ro line under the house to the laundry room to the RODI with the booster so I don't have to tote water. I will NOT leave it running! The shut off is just in case I forget to turn it off. Again, redundancy.

Also, waiting on a gyre to get here to complete flow package. And I have cleaned and tested a half dozen back up power heads. One more time! REDUNDANCY!

I will wait a week and setup the doser and carbon reactor Then start skinning the stand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a question for those running an AWC without an Apex. How is yours setup? I really want to change 3 gallons a day from a Brute in the laundry room but could put a reservoir in the stand. There is room.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny and all the corals and inverts are in the tank. It came a storm so I will get the others tomorrow.

I also left the screws for the lights at thestore and will get them tomorrow as well.

Back