OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this thread I want to show an easy way to start a small and simple reef aquarium without too much hocus pocus, It is in line with the methods for larger aquarium outlined in this post by @Sallstrom. The secret is the amount of food you put in and that you have CUC already from the beginning. Using sand and rocks from an old aquarium give you the bacterial start culture you need and to use some old water give you a better water from a biological point of view - it is not so pure chemical that 100% newly done salt water is. As you can see in my posts - the ugly phase has been very short - if any.

I start the first week with some, very, very few, frozen artemia every third day, second week - the same amount every second day and now every day slowly arising the amount.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These short videos is not on Youtube - they are uploaded direct to R2R. I can see that they sometimes stop and load too. They are .mov files - should work on Apples products. After one month or two I will do a longer video with these short videos - showing how easy it is to start a SW aquarium ;)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse,

I am curious to know how is this tank doing after 3 months or so?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse,

I am curious to know how is this tank doing after 3 months or so?
For the first time in my 13 years with starting small aquariums have I run into some smaller problems with Cyanobacteria in the sand. As you can see in my video above - the sand is rather brown but not a sign of red Cyanobacteria. A week later (around Sept 20) I notice red Cyanobacteria in the sand. As usually - I add some NO3 to the water and did a water test of NO3 and PO4 a week later. It show up that I had low PO4 as well. I add some PO4 too. During this time (since I notice the red plague) I stir the sand at least once a day too.

There is two things that I have done different this time - I have used a much more effective light and no WC during this first three months. The AI Prime is very effective and I have run it for 14 hours and for 100% during at least 4 hours a day.

Four days ago I change the light to be active during only 8 hours and highest intensity for 3 hours. I also activated a long (30 days) acclimation period with start at 70% reduction of the white and 50 % for the others.

Things looks a little bit better now but I going to do a 20 % WC (using water from my other tank) this evening. Things looks much better now.

And I have got another fish too - Bathygobius meggitti

Sincerely Lasse

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first time in my 13 years with starting small aquariums have I run into some smaller problems with Cyanobacteria in the sand. As you can see in my video above - the sand is rather brown but not a sign of red Cyanobacteria. A week later (around Sept 20) I notice red Cyanobacteria in the sand. As usually - I add some NO3 to the water and did a water test of NO3 and PO4 a week later. It show up that I had low PO4 as well. I add some PO4 too. During this time (since I notice the red plague) I stir the sand at least once a day too.

There is two things that I have done different this time - I have used a much more effective light and no WC during this first three months. The AI Prime is very effective and I have run it for 14 hours and for 100% during at least 4 hours a day.

Four days ago I change the light to be active during only 8 hours and highest intensity for 3 hours. I also activated a long (30 days) acclimation period with start at 70% reduction of the white and 50 % for the others.

Things looks a little bit better now but I going to do a 20 % WC (using water from my other tank) this evening. Things looks much better now.

And I have got another fish too - Bathygobius meggitti

Sincerely Lasse

Looking great Lasse, settling in so well, is that a dancing shrimp?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will get mad that you added an anemone before 6 months! Lol

Yes - and I add it after 4 days :D And at work we add 50 + anemones to a one week old system - and the funny thing is that they are probably 60 + now - after around 5 months.

Sincerely Lasse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back