anemone1.jpg

anemone-2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first time in my 13 years with starting small aquariums have I run into some smaller problems with Cyanobacteria in the sand. As you can see in my video above - the sand is rather brown but not a sign of red Cyanobacteria. A week later (around Sept 20) I notice red Cyanobacteria in the sand. As usually - I add some NO3 to the water and did a water test of NO3 and PO4 a week later. It show up that I had low PO4 as well. I add some PO4 too. During this time (since I notice the red plague) I stir the sand at least once a day too.

There is two things that I have done different this time - I have used a much more effective light and no WC during this first three months. The AI Prime is very effective and I have run it for 14 hours and for 100% during at least 4 hours a day.

Four days ago I change the light to be active during only 8 hours and highest intensity for 3 hours. I also activated a long (30 days) acclimation period with start at 70% reduction of the white and 50 % for the others.

Things looks a little bit better now but I going to do a 20 % WC (using water from my other tank) this evening. Things looks much better now.

And I have got another fish too - Bathygobius meggitti

Sincerely Lasse

Thanks for that update.
I am sorry to hear that you’re experiencing troubles with that tank. That being said if you can’t handle this I don’t know who could, but I see an improvement on the videos, the sand doesn’t look brown anymore.
That new gobi seems like lot of fun I see him flying all over the tank in the first video and in the second he is doing something strange, funny.
Nice setup Lasse, thanks again for that update.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four months in - the Cyano bacteria have disappear. The thing I did was to be sure there was both NO3 and PO4. I stir the sand rather often and maybe the most important thing - I set the light in adaption mode over one month and start at 30% of the wanted intensity. The con with this was that some corals have a hard time - we will see if they will repair themselves.

Some photos

1.jpg

2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pictures, haven’t the clownfish adopted the anemone yet?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will get mad that you added an anemone before 6 months! Lol
Please - its not my fault - he/she have become two! - 4.5 months old tank :D

two-b.jpg

tvo-a.jpg

Probably - you are right because this is how a 6 months old aquarium with nems can look like :p

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no update. This tank just do not want to "lift" - It works but the growth is nor very good. The nems grow ans some other corals too - but som just fade away.

FTS.jpg

I do not do any measurements in this aquarium - not even the temperature. I guess is around 23 degree C or lower. I will add some PO4 and NO3 to the system the following days

However - I discover that the outlet chamber I construct also work as a good refugium - I did have it in my head but thought that it not shouyld work - I was wrong - it works

fuge.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know --- It still here - not delivered to my grandchild. It has not developed the way I want it to - there was something that did not work as it should. However - probably have I solve that problem now and I will update with picks later on. To this aquarium I used only tap water (I have done it before for many years in all my aquariums) but I did a test of my tap water - it is ideal with one exception - Cu levels is high. I have stop using tap water and does some WC with help of my left over water from my main aquarium. I´ll try to update with pictures later on

Sincerely Lasse

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse,

Is this project finally picking up?
Your pictures at 4 month old seemed promising.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 years - I finally get some control over this aquarium. It is "as simple as possible". No advanced technique, a simple skimmer, very, very small refugium (in the overflow) - WC very seldom. I started it with tap water because when I deliver it - they will not use RO. It works good for a year - but suddenly tjings start to got south. In one point I had to stop using tap water, start to use RO instead. No major WC but when I start to automatically control the salinity in my main aquarium - I start to use left over water from that aquarium for WC of Adrines aquarium. My shrimps and the shrimp and its goby died - now it is only the three clowns and a larger goby left. But things start to go better. I thought I had lost my nems but suddenly one show up as a small red spot in the display - and the other I found in the overflow. I do not use any add ons, never do any tests, only WC from my main aquarium and just let it be. This how it looks today. There is a small patch of cyano bacteria - otherwise it is rather good.

210417.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 years - I finally get some control over this aquarium. It is "as simple as possible". No advanced technique, a simple skimmer, very, very small refugium (in the overflow) - WC very seldom. I started it with tap water because when I deliver it - they will not use RO. It works good for a year - but suddenly tjings start to got south. In one point I had to stop using tap water, start to use RO instead. No major WC but when I start to automatically control the salinity in my main aquarium - I start to use left over water from that aquarium for WC of Adrines aquarium. My shrimps and the shrimp and its goby died - now it is only the three clowns and a larger goby left. But things start to go better. I thought I had lost my nems but suddenly one show up as a small red spot in the display - and the other I found in the overflow. I do not use any add ons, never do any tests, only WC from my main aquarium and just let it be. This how it looks today. There is a small patch of cyano bacteria - otherwise it is rather good.

210417.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
It doesn’t look bad to me. Many people would probably like to take care of such an aquarium. I hope that things will get better with it and that finally you’ll be able to give that great gift.

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on this tank please! Love the nem - what do you think helps to keep it so bubbled?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O - this tank is a mess just now and I have not succeeded to give it to my granddaughter yet. I publish some pictures when I have it in order again

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while - finally - it starts to look rather good. This tank is nearly 3 years old now and an only softie tank. Three months ago - I put in a shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp - not seen them after that - I thought - the other day - both show up. Hopefully we will deliver this tank in the summer.

Sincerely Lasse

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back