The Adrine Project

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My youngest granddaughter Adrine have loved fish since she was only half a year old. This winter she will be 6 years old and we was talking about an aquarium. Earlier this spring I come across a used Reef Sea Max nano aquarium for a low cost and I decided to buy it and start it at home, if it works out well - she will have it on her birthday in December this year. It must be a low maintenance aquarium with easy to hold organism and a stable biological way of working. In a lot of aquarium I have had - I have tried the concept with a reversed flow deep sand bed. with the exception of my last build - it has not been any success - one works well for 2 years but the container for the sand bed was not tight enough - sand disappeared by time :mad:

This time I will try to do it the right way. As usually I decide to use artificial rock works from the Back to Nature product line. The Read Sea Max Nano have an inbuilt sump at the back and a rather dull overflow comb. I do not like when the technical things can easily be spotted - therefore I will hide the overflow from the viewer's field of view. I do that with a module, and this will be my container for the RFRDSB (Reverse Flow Remote Deep Sand Bed) too.

The start

1563451063995.png

Preparing the module - outside

outside.jpg

The inside

inside-module.jpg

From left - bottom inlet with its protection -> plenum -> surface inlet

View of the bottom of the module

inflow..jpg

View of the surface inlet. This inlet will be partly blocked in order to force water to go from the bottom inlet and up in the sand bed. The sand bed will have the plenum as bottom and will be nearly as deep as the module. I will have rather rough coral sand in the bottom.

overflow.jpg

Both

plenum.jpg

The sump overflow

overflow-2.jpg

The result - without water and with

result.jpg

result1.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You build the coolest, most well thought out systems I’ve seen. This one is no exception. I’ll be very interested to see where you go with this. I like the setup choice, it’s one that many people can get, you may spawn a revolution! ;)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great present, hope Adrien follows her grandad into a life of nature. One observation will it not be a pain to clean the lower inlet pipe and stop it getting blocked?
What you think of this special designed tool?

P7200119.JPG

You build the coolest, most well thought out systems I’ve seen. This one is no exception. I’ll be very interested to see where you go with this. I like the setup choice, it’s one that many people can get, you may spawn a revolution! ;)

Thank you Rick and all other that have respond in this thread

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today - water into the aquarium - 50 % new - 50 % old from my old tank. 3 teacups of RFRDSB sand, some hermits and snails. 2 dancing shrimps. Will catch up the rest of the sand this evening and tomorrow I will add some living rocks. It will be a rocket start. Fish will come next week.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My youngest granddaughter Adrine have loved fish since she was only half a year old. This winter she will be 6 years old and we was talking about an aquarium. Earlier this spring I come across a used Reef Sea Max nano aquarium for a low cost and I decided to buy it and start it at home, if it works out well - she will have it on her birthday in December this year. It must be a low maintenance aquarium with easy to hold organism and a stable biological way of working. In a lot of aquarium I have had - I have tried the concept with a reversed flow deep sand bed. with the exception of my last build - it has not been any success - one works well for 2 years but the container for the sand bed was not tight enough - sand disappeared by time :mad:

This time I will try to do it the right way. As usually I decide to use artificial rock works from the Back to Nature product line. The Read Sea Max Nano have an inbuilt sump at the back and a rather dull overflow comb. I do not like when the technical things can easily be spotted - therefore I will hide the overflow from the viewer's field of view. I do that with a module, and this will be my container for the RFRDSB (Reverse Flow Remote Deep Sand Bed) too.

The start

1563451063995.png

Preparing the module - outside

outside.jpg

The inside

inside-module.jpg

From left - bottom inlet with its protection -> plenum -> surface inlet

View of the bottom of the module

inflow..jpg

View of the surface inlet. This inlet will be partly blocked in order to force water to go from the bottom inlet and up in the sand bed. The sand bed will have the plenum as bottom and will be nearly as deep as the module. I will have rather rough coral sand in the bottom.

overflow.jpg

Both

plenum.jpg

The sump overflow

overflow-2.jpg

The result - without water and with

result.jpg

result1.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
Thats some work. What a Grand Papa

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of my tooth brush.

You mean - it just fit to your mouth? :D;Happy;) Or are you like fishes - have Pharyngeal teeth ? :)

I´m sorry, could not stop myself cause as we say in Gothenburg - It is impossible to miss a barn with wide open doors:)

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean - it just fit to your mouth? :D;Happy;) Or are you like fishes - have Pharyngeal teeth ? :)

I´m sorry, could not stop myself cause as we say in Gothenburg - It is impossible to miss a barn with wide open doors:)

Sincerely Lasse
Yea, perfect size. Heee

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back