The Alcyonacea Lagoon - Shallow 80g

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest FTS (06/20/18):

29057777028_36e7dd29f8_o.png

Unfortunately I couldn't start this from the beginning as this is just me rebuilding from my stony corals crashing back in December. I've opted to take the road less traveled and focus on leathers this time around, done correctly I strongly believe these can be just as beautiful as any acropora dominated reef out there. Over the past couple of months I've slowly been adding new pieces and working on the aquascape, so lots of growing in to do, but so far I'm happy with where things are at.

Aquarium specs:

Tank: 48x24x16 Deep Blue
Sump: Tideline 36 by Trigger Systems
Skimmer: Aquamaxx ConeS CO-2
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra M1
Lights: 3 Chinese Black Boxes
Doser: Kamoer 3 Channel (not in use currently)
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Flow: 2x MP40wQD

The tank has been wet and running since 10/08/15, and I replaced all of my live rock with TBS rock on 02/25/16.

Current fish:

Amphiprion bicinctus var. "Spotcinctus" pair
Siganus doliatus
Macropharyngodon ornatus
Halichoeres melanurus
Acanthurus nigrofuscus
Zebrasoma flavescens
Apogon spp. "Flame Cardinalfish" trio
Salarias ramosus
Synchiropus sycorax

A few pictures to start

42350624001_392288fe8a_o.png

27484061117_72b473337e_o.png

28494887168_995094995a_o.png

More to come soon. :D

Last edited:

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great, how about a flame scallop addition? Maybe some barnacle blennies? I really like the simplicity of the aquascape, can't wait to see more pictures

OP
OP
Joshky

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great, how about a flame scallop addition? Maybe some barnacle blennies? I really like the simplicity of the aquascape, can't wait to see more pictures

Thanks. :)

Not many people have long term success with flame scallops, rather not be another statistic. Not sure barnacle blennies would fare well, my Ornate Fairy Wrasse is quite aggressive to docile fish unfortunately.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that clam looks amazing, yeah, its just a cool creature that is incredibly rewarding when its doing well. They would likely be picked off, I hadn't considered him.

OP
OP
Joshky

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that clam looks amazing, yeah, its just a cool creature that is incredibly rewarding when its doing well. They would likely be picked off, I hadn't considered him.

Do you have a Flame Scallop that you've had success with? I'm not against getting one, but I've always been under the impression that they're pretty impossible to keep. I'm listening if you have any tips for me, they're definitely really cool creatures. :D

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I do, my advice (and I haven't had mine very long, only about a month), is to let it do what it wants. Before buying one, I read up on them, and many experts attest their usual demise to 2 things, firstly improper food, secondly, the aquarist moving it. I feed mine bottled phytoplankton, bottled zooplankton, and reef roids mixed together and he is doing great, I also have a syringe that I blow the rocks with, stirring up stuff for everyone to eat. They have a foot they use to drag themselves around, often this is in a bad place where the owner can't see it and they move it to where it wants, eventually, it gives up on moving and dies. I never move mine, he's found a good spot and thats where he stays (sometimes he changes what angle he is at, but rarely. I think your tank would do great with one

OP
OP
Joshky

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I do, my advice (and I haven't had mine very long, only about a month), is to let it do what it wants. Before buying one, I read up on them, and many experts attest their usual demise to 2 things, firstly improper food, secondly, the aquarist moving it. I feed mine bottled phytoplankton, bottled zooplankton, and reef roids mixed together and he is doing great, I also have a syringe that I blow the rocks with, stirring up stuff for everyone to eat. They have a foot they use to drag themselves around, often this is in a bad place where the owner can't see it and they move it to where it wants, eventually, it gives up on moving and dies. I never move mine, he's found a good spot and thats where he stays (sometimes he changes what angle he is at, but rarely. I think your tank would do great with one

I'll definitely consider trying one, thanks for the information. :)

OP
OP
Joshky

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks! :) Definitely happy to share, it gives me something to look back on as things progress. I'm going to take more photos later this week I hope.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank ! !

What's the nice red piece front and center?

OP
OP
Joshky

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool either way :)

Yes, I agree. ;) Most magnifica's have a rather boring foot color, I really enjoy when mine balls up like that--which has become a lot more common as of recent. Thanks.

OP
OP
Joshky

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was saving this for a bigger update, but one of my black box power supplies went out. :( I get a new one soon, but until then, this update will have to do.

I purchased this chalice in Cincinnati a couple weeks ago and I'm really digging the magma feel to it, so I'm dubbing it the "Magma Chalice", original right? :p

42825227421_3037c4ea34_o.png

I can't wait to update when the new power supply comes in, lots of changes in the past few weeks. ;)

OP
OP
Joshky

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Starry Blennies favorite place to perch, so glad he didn't freak out on me with the camera. All of my fish are super camera shy and will not let me get good photos, I need better camera lenses.

Enjoy! :)

28074464167_11a906b1a1_o.png

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I couldn't start this from the beginning as this is just me rebuilding from my stony corals crashing back in December. I've opted to take the road less traveled and focus on leathers this time around, done correctly I strongly believe these can be just as beautiful as any acropora dominated reef out there. Over the past couple of months I've slowly been adding new pieces and working on the aquascape, so lots of growing in to do, but so far I'm happy with where things are at.

Aquarium specs:

Tank: 48x24x16 Deep Blue
Sump: Tideline 36 by Trigger Systems
Skimmer: Aquamaxx ConeS CO-2
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra M1
Lights: 3 Chinese Black Boxes
Doser: Kamoer 3 Channel (not in use currently)
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Flow: 2x MP40wQD

The tank has been wet and running since 10/08/15, and I replaced all of my live rock with TBS rock on 02/25/16.

Current fish:

Amphiprion bicinctus var. "Spotcinctus" pair
Siganus doliatus
Macropharyngodon ornatus
Halichoeres melanurus
Acanthurus nigrofuscus
Zebrasoma flavescens
Apogon spp. "Flame Cardinalfish" trio
Salarias ramosus
Synchiropus sycorax

A few pictures to start

42350624001_392288fe8a_o.png

27484061117_72b473337e_o.png

28494887168_995094995a_o.png

More to come soon. :D
Looks great.... im super curious how long have you had the Magnificent Sea Anemone? My understanding they are practically impossible to keep in a home system... super impressed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back