The Angel Lovers Thread

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a keyhole angel a few months ago and it was the least reef safe angel I have kept. It non stop picked at sps polyps. I don’t usually mind occasional picking but the constant picking was just too much.
Wow, that's interesting! My Keyhole is in the open water, like seen below, or higher even most of the time. He spends so much time at the top of the tank that it completely eliminated my urge to get chromis or something else to fill out the tank more. I don't think I've ever even seen him pick at the rocks, let alone coral, while all the other angles spend all day nipping at everything. This is my first time having one and I'd never even seen them in person prior to that, so I would have guessed they were the most reef safe based on my own anecdotal experience. Fascinating how much personalities can differ with the same type of fish. Although I'm starting to think mine might just be a little weird if they're usually the least reef safe.

PXL_20230902_011053101.jpg

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah no angels I guess. A baby potter's came in this week but those are way too expensive.
What are the angels that have a good probability of not eating coral? Flameback, firefish, coral beauty, cherub, geniacanthus, and regal. is that it?
Genicanthus has a good track record because its diet is not based on corals, the complexes that do best in reef tanks must be (if I remember correctly) the argi complex (cherub, flameback, flavicauda, ferieball, resplendens) this one last fish is almost impossible to obtain without a doubt; speaking of another group with a good track record in reef tanks is the multicolor and bispinosa complex.

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's interesting! My Keyhole is in the open water, like seen below, or higher even most of the time. He spends so much time at the top of the tank that it completely eliminated my urge to get chromis or something else to fill out the tank more. I don't think I've ever even seen him pick at the rocks, let alone coral, while all the other angles spend all day nipping at everything. This is my first time having one and I'd never even seen them in person prior to that, so I would have guessed they were the most reef safe based on my own anecdotal experience. Fascinating how much personalities can differ with the same type of fish. Although I'm starting to think mine might just be a little weird if they're usually the least reef safe.

PXL_20230902_011053101.jpg
Interesting. That is similar to how my flame angel behaves. I wish my keyhole was similar, they are one of my favorite Centropyge species.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. That is similar to how my flame angel behaves. I wish my keyhole was similar, they are one of my favorite Centropyge species.
The Keyhole is one of my favorites too now. Maybe mostly because of his interesting behavior. Funny, I have 4 Flame angels and they spend all day lower in the tank picking at the rocks and sand.
Yep, just turned around from the couch and snapped a quick pic, Keyhole is swimming around at the top of the tank and you can kind of make out one of the Flame Angels on the left picking ant the rocks :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I'm honestly a little jealous that none of my Flame Angels swim around the top too now though. The burst of color would be nice

PXL_20231007_033636261.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my favorite thing about my regal is how crazy it looks when my lights go down and I only have dark blues, purples, and a little red light.
IMG_4111.jpeg
I know right! They just radiate the blues and look neon.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right! They just radiate the blues and look neon.
Exactly!
Almost looks like a peppermint. I prefer the regal to the peppermint but I love the color change and glow of the stripes.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a post from Poma Labs about a new hybrid supposedly between Regal/Tiger angelfish, the photography is magnificent but I can't imagine a combination between these two species.
That is essentially like hybridising the worlds ugliest fish and the worlds prettiest fish IMO… that is likely to come out looking very ugly.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is essentially like hybridising the worlds ugliest fish and the worlds prettiest fish IMO… that is likely to come out looking very ugly.
The juvenile version of this fish seems to be interesting, although the same thing happens with tiger angelfish, they look better as juveniles, either way it seems like a unique fish to me, I hope they can update the status of the fish soon.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I took the plunge and ordered a RS regal, Majestic, moorish idol, white tail bristle tooth and copperband all 3-4"

I am hoping to add them all at the same time to disperse the aggression from the current tanks inhabitants, blue face 4", emperor 4", scopas 4", asfur 3.5", sail fin 5" and shockingly the flame angel. I also have 2 naso and a hippo tang, however they are small.

the fish I am most worried about is the RS regal. If need be and there is too much aggression, I wont hesitate to fish out the aggressor and place them in a quarantine tank for a week.

What I am really hoping for is the huge addition to the tank will cause confusion and allow the new fish to get adjusted.

If I was smart and had any patience, I would have held off all the other fish until I got a healthy regal. But things never work out and the regal I did order never made it out of quarantine. I decided back then that getting a regal wasn't worth it and gave up the idea of keeping one. Of course, reading forums about regals got the flame lit and I had to have one.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 36 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 175 73.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.0%
Back