The Angel Lovers Thread

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so im noticing a lot of reef tanks with angels. do they pick at the corals or is the tank/reef too big to affect it?

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Young adult Holacanthus ciliaris, Queen Angelfish. A real beauty.

MVIMG_20180306_094206.jpg
Wow, beautiful fish & tank. How large is that tank?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite angel by far. It seems like a very healthy specimen (deep purple, bright orange, and it fades to Almost black on the rear. As opposed to the pastel colors that you usually see). Did you purchase him eating or did you get him to eat?
Thank you, I've had him in the tank for at least a year... took a chance and purchased him via mail order, so he was not eating at all when I got him. Actually, he may have been one of the longest hunger-strike fish I've had that actually ended up coming around... it was well over a month. He didn't eat at all through QT and when he hit the DT he would only graze the rocks for a good while.

Once he started eating prepared foods, he took to everything. Pellets, frozen, algae sheets... whatever I offered. And then he started going after LPS and clams. I ended up moving most of my fleshy LPS and my smaller maxima clam to another tank. The deresa gets picked at sometimes, but he doesn't mess with it too much anymore.
I'm pretty sure he got pinched once because he suddenly had scrape marks on both sides of his body that lasted for a week or so...

Last edited:

tcmfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, beautiful fish & tank. How large is that tank?

Approximately 8,000 gallons.

Nice Queen!! How big is she? Is she the boss like mine was until I added an Emp!! Lol

8-9 inches. Bosses around the smaller queen, but gets bossed around by the huge French Angelfish in the same tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask you Angel keeps a question...

going with a gorg. dom. tank so mostly a fish only with live rock. tank will focus on butterflies, angles, tangs and small wrasses...
trying to decide my stocking list and wondering you y'all think and emp. will be fine in a 200 red sea reefer 750XXL and my only large angel? or should I go with the smaller Regal?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Go with the smaller and slower growing Regal. The Emperor is a beauty but after 4 years of growth, the Red Sea 750XXL will start to look small.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Go with the smaller and slower growing Regal. The Emperor is a beauty but after 4 years of growth, the Red Sea 750XXL will start to look small.

yeah after thinking about it some more i scratched the emp. off the list I agree it will get to big for the 750 in a few years.
not sure I want to mess with the red sea regal either they are expensive hard to find smaller ones. might just skip large angels altogether..

any one got a good source for the regals? I know of LA, fishy biz and Nyaqutics any other places I should consider?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had good luck with small Regal from LA. Wait for sales and in addition to coupons and what have you, you can get one for about 160.00 shipped. This is not too bad IMO

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had good luck with small Regal from LA. Wait for sales and in addition to coupons and what have you, you can get one for about 160.00 shipped. This is not too bad IMO

yeah that's not to bad I see what I can find as I start to stock this tank got a few months so maybe something will show up 160 not to bad I can choke that down for such a beautiful fish.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here have experience with personifer (Meredithi or true personifer) angelfish in reef aquariums? If so, any corals on the diet in your case or anyone else you know?

I’m considering one to add to a 180 gallon mixed reef.

Thanks!!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful angels guys and gals.
Here are some of mine.

Juvi Emperor. Fastest growing angels in my experience. Can't wait for it to go into puberty.
original.jpg

Flame
original.jpg

One of my 3 Regals
original.jpg

Blueline
original.jpg

holly good GOD man!!!! talk about fish ****....
please tell more more about your regals. I really REALLY want that fish in my butterfly dominate tank. how small did you get em? trips and tricks to QTing, getting them to eat anything else you want to share. just lovely.

that blue line looks cool to, how fast of a grower is it? aggressive? hmm one angel I have not thought about much...
wow your tank is stunning! droool

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holly good GOD man!!!! talk about fish ****....
please tell more more about your regals. I really REALLY want that fish in my butterfly dominate tank. how small did you get em? trips and tricks to QTing, getting them to eat anything else you want to share. just lovely.

that blue line looks cool to, how fast of a grower is it? aggressive? hmm one angel I have not thought about much...
wow your tank is stunning! droool

I would highly recommend the Indian Ocean Regals from Live Aquaria. Their Juveniles are 2" which I think are perfect but you have to have a lot of patience with them as they grow very very slow. Their Adult medium size is about 3" and for some it's the better choice if you don't want to experience the juvi-adult transition.
As for the Blueline. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question on growth. I got it from a local member who was breaking down his tank. He said he has had it for 5 years. It has been in my tank for about a year and I haven't seen much growth. I don't know if it's full size now or it just a slow grower. It's not an aggressive fish at all. However, it is the biggest angel in the tank so it doesn't need to be aggressive. I find the fish in the middle class size actually have more to prove than the biggest fish in the tank.
How I acclimate mine from arrival in box to acclimation box.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interrupta(Male)
original.jpg

Interrupta pair
original.jpg

The trio of Regal angelfish can be seen in this picture.
original.jpg

Love the Interruptus Angel pair! I am currently trying to form a pair. Did you get them as a pair or your paired them yourself? If the latter, how did you do it?

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Interruptus Angel pair! I am currently trying to form a pair. Did you get them as a pair or your paired them yourself? If the latter, how did you do it?

I got the pair from Colby at Pacific Island Aquatics.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back