The Angel Lovers Thread

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lazy dimensions I gave...The tank 96"L x 18"W x 30"T, when I say depth I mean width from front to back...The French has a bold persona once it is use to the tank and owner...I did learn the hard way it is not a good idea to house both of those particular Angels together as adults unless you have about a 500gal; both fish like to be the boss, and which ever subseeds it will start to lose its bold personality that makes it stand out; they may not try to kill each other, but its a gamble.

If it's a 30-inch height. I might not be able to accommodate the height of the french. They grow into like giant dinner plates swimming in your aquarium. lol and yes, eventually the queen will be dominant, but the french should be able to stand its ground.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock work can be adjusted to accomadate...The most imporant is that they can swim freely, and get between rocks easily if startled...Once an adult reaches a nice bulky size it want be startled easily if at all...And, I am sure you already know that with Tangs and Angels green algae is your friend...it will help control phosphates, and it is natural food for both species and they need it.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i added a flame angel to my tank Sunday evening and ever since then I haven't seen my orchid dottyback. i wasn't expecting issues between the two, nor did i observe any, but i suppose it makes sense since both fish are kind of rock oriented. anyone ever had an angel just scare a dottyback into completely hiding for days at a time?

i do have a lot of rockwork so he could be evading my flashlight efforts and he has yet to appear in the overflow or sump. i do have a screen top as well, so that seems unlikely. shrug..

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to add a French Angel to my tank for a while and finally found a really nice one. It’s large, around 8”. I have a 7” Queen and a small Emporer.

So far everyone is getting along great. There has been no real interactions between the Queen & French, however my Naso tang was following the French for a couple of hours but after that decided to leave it alone.

Interesting that the French actually has visible teeth, where as all the other fish I have, you cannot see any teeth.

I’ll post pics when I get back from a business trip.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to finish this off. They are both in my display, one is clearly dominant, but fortunately except for a bit of 'handbags' there has been no aggression. Gave them a couple of clams in shells yesterday afternoon, even though I dropped them well apart the dominant one definitely wouldn't share, when the other fish tried to sneak a bite it got pushed off but not overly aggressively, just the 'I'm the boss and you need to accept it' thing.

This morning before the lights came on they were both out, following each other and picking at the LR.

I can't believe how well this is going. I feel the guys at Clearwater (the LFS I bought them from in the UK), by putting the fish in adjacent tanks for 3 weeks, letting them get used to each other, allowed the initial 'whos going to be boss' thing out of the way. Then putting them together in a large vat at the same time with hiding places for 2 weeks, before adding them to my tank seems to have worked a treat.

I am getting more confident by the day that I will in the longer term end up with a pair of Majestic angels. I have been in this hobby for many years and I find it wonderful that sometimes there are still things that just surprise and excite you.

A short video- sorry about the quality, I just grabbed the camera and shot it from across the room.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new angels...
ff716e8e905c2ee99eba27037bf00105.jpg
a41ebf35155465fcc879ce51ba21a9ff.jpg

6656b3b71e010ae968beb1d0daf9c616.jpg

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love angels I recently upgraded to a 180 gallon reef. I am debating between an emperor angel or a regal angel. Any guidance you can provide on who will do better in my tank?

Stocking in my 180: blue tang / yellow tang / flame angel / flameback angel / Blue spotted puffer / Vrotek wrasse / mandarin / yellow watchman goby/ longfin goby/filefish / 2 oscellaris clowns / 2 BTA / Fans / LPS / Zenia / toadstool / candy cane coral / red fire shrimp / peppermint shrimp / cleaner shrimp / electric blue hermits / sea star

I am debating who can live best in this environment. I don't want clams but I do want coral.

thanks!!

JoeTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for a new dwarf angel, any suggestions? I have a Lamark's angel already in a 110

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get another one so you have a pair. Regal angel really slow growing. Beautiful. I got my pair for 1+ year and they are just the size of a Flame Angel. Smaller than my Male Flame Angel.
Angels tend to pick on corals as you likely know. Keep that in mind and choose whichever Angel you like.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my two Regal Angels. They are about the same size, just about the size of a midsize Flame Angel.
RegalAngel2019032601.jpg
RegalAngel2019032602.jpg

Just beautiful! Nice and plump regals.

I picked up a juvenile regal that’s about 5-6cm a couple of days ago. It has eaten some mysis and brine so I’m somewhat hopeful.
Going to start trying clams on the half shell, angel formula and masstick in the coming days :)
78fe92448a7e09b6bb3583d3227cebd4.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just beautiful! Nice and plump regals.

I picked up a juvenile regal that’s about 5-6cm a couple of days ago. It has eaten some mysis and brine so I’m somewhat hopeful.
Going to start trying clams on the half shell, angel formula and masstick in the coming days :)
78fe92448a7e09b6bb3583d3227cebd4.jpg
Mine really loves flakes and pellets. From the beginning they prefer flakes over frozen. I keep them by themselves first, get them to eat well before add them to DT.
If they are eating just give them what they want but make sure you offer them flakes. Often reefer go for these esoteric and expensive food when a good flake will do as main food.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BabyRegal2017031501.jpg

Tiny baby regal in my QT tank. The clowns, much bigger, acts as dither fish to get the regal to eat. That female clown is farther away from the cameras, and still looks bigger than the angel. This particular angel was about 1.25 inch.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back