The Angel Lovers Thread

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Harem of 4 flame angels. I also have 2 Regal angels that are the same size as the male Flame Angel in my DT. 320 gal
How do you find the stress level amongst the flames? You must of got them when they were small? Do you think that a 205 gal would be too small to try the same thing out?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My angels are all doing great. They don't fight. Spawned all the time. It is fun to have the male spawn with the three females.
All of them are fat and disease free. Of the three females, there is a hierarchy. The largest female is the dominates the other two. They don't fight but the larger female would sometime take a run at the other females. They just dart away. I have never seen actual bite and there is no torn fin or flake scales with these interaction.

205 gal tank would be plenty of room for a harem. I would add at least 3. You do need to have adequate rock structure for them to be comfortable. Get smaller angels. They just form a harem, you don't have to worry. A friend of mine put 4 in a 120 gal tank. Two of which were males. There were a lot of fighting and chasing until one reverted back to being a female, after that, everything were fine.
I don't put much stock in the notion of we must have odd number of fish. I don't think fish can count.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My angels are all doing great. They don't fight. Spawned all the time. It is fun to have the male spawn with the three females.
All of them are fat and disease free. Of the three females, there is a hierarchy. The largest female is the dominates the other two. They don't fight but the larger female would sometime take a run at the other females. They just dart away. I have never seen actual bite and there is no torn fin or flake scales with these interaction.

205 gal tank would be plenty of room for a harem. I would add at least 3. You do need to have adequate rock structure for them to be comfortable. Get smaller angels. They just form a harem, you don't have to worry. A friend of mine put 4 in a 120 gal tank. Two of which were males. There were a lot of fighting and chasing until one reverted back to being a female, after that, everything were fine.
I don't put much stock in the notion of we must have odd number of fish. I don't think fish can count.
That’s great to know. You now have me thinking of doing that. I’m planning out my fish list as my last parts of plumbing and apex system arrives to finally get my tank filled up. Would you recommend other dwarfs in the tank with them? I’m going to be putting in some anthias, wrasse, tangs and medium sized angels. I’ll be getting all of them when they’re small though. Most likely all Poma lab angels

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bruce17
I like to keep one species of dwarf angel, and one species of the larger angel. I kelp single specimen, multiple species before in my 420 gal tank. My Flameback regularly spawned with my Cherub angel.
I am sure you can keep multiple species, but I am not sure if you will be able to keep multiple males in a 210 gal tank. Likely only one will become male.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bruce17
I like to keep one species of dwarf angel, and one species of the larger angel. I kelp single specimen, multiple species before in my 420 gal tank. My Flameback regularly spawned with my Cherub angel.
I am sure you can keep multiple species, but I am not sure if you will be able to keep multiple males in a 210 gal tank. Likely only one will become male.
Ok perfect. I definitely don’t want them stressed out fighting each other all the time either. Something to think about I guess

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Pair of Poma Labs Captive-Bred Blueline Angelfish

I have had this pair for a couple of weeks. Hatched on 4/17/2019. They are very resilient. One is about 1.75” or so and the other around 1.5”. Matthew at Poma Labs is terrific. Based on recommendations from others, I did not QT or put in acclimation box. I acclimated temp and salinity, put in tank and turned out the lights. The next day was not good for them. A pair of clownfish relentlessly harassed them. My clowns will never enter a trap, so I had to wait until the middle of night to capture them by hand out of their bubble tip anemones.

The small angel has a very torn up dorsal fin from the clown abuse - I was expecting to lose her. Instead, she just kept on being a food pig and never let the bit fin hold her down. The two bluelines and my small regal are buddies swimming together peacefully. I actually think this trio is happy.

The pics are blurred because all the angels start moving fast when I get near the tank since they think I am going to feed them. They do eat everything – PE pellets, Little Fishes green and purple nori, frozen foods (PE Calanus, SF Bay Brand Angel Butterfly, LRD Herbivore Frenzy, and Hikari Mysis soaked in vitamins and other supplements).

In just two weeks, the pair has developed very nice blue line stripes.

If I had a do over, I would have at least kept the bluelines in my very large 14” x 6” x 6” acclimation box from Octo Aquatics for a couple of weeks before releasing them. Maybe the clowns, which now live with someone else, would have been more hospitable than hostile. I did the acclimation box method with my little regal a month ago and the clowns were good behaving although I did have to trap and remove a medium sized tomini tang that was bullying the regal.

I will not add any other fish to the tank without a complete QT cycle since I don’t want to risk my 3 angels to disease. I highly recommend Poma. I am also hounding Matthew to start breeding my favorites – Scribbled Angels.

all 3.jpg

big and regal.jpg

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two Blue Line captive-bred angles from Poma Labs in my tank after two weeks. The smaller one got beat up by a pair of Clarkii clowns which were rehomed. The smaller had a big bite out of the rear of its dorsal fin which has healed and growing back nicely. The pair are thriving with their regal tankmate. The largest angel is about 2" in this video.

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a yellow angel here: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+1866&pcatid=1866 and I am getting worried because I haven't seen him eating, ever! I put him in the tank on Wednesday. I have been feeding mysis shrimp daily along with various algae and other pellets. I also stuck a quarter of an algae wafer in there that said it contained spirulina. I have a 70G tank with a clown, bi-color psedo chromis, sand sifting goby, midas blenny, 3 pajama cardinals, watchman, fire fish, algae blenny. My angel pretty much hangs out under 1 of 3 different shady areas and is still in the timid phase. When I feed it comes out, swims all around, and I keep thinking he is going to eat something, but he never does. My tank has been up for about 9 months with some macro algae growing here and there along with misc other micro aglae I thought he might snack on.

I honestly didn't realize how finicky he would be. Not sure if I am worried over nothing, or if he is starving to death. Please send tips!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a yellow angel here: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+1866&pcatid=1866 and I am getting worried because I haven't seen him eating, ever! I put him in the tank on Wednesday. I have been feeding mysis shrimp daily along with various algae and other pellets. I also stuck a quarter of an algae wafer in there that said it contained spirulina. I have a 70G tank with a clown, bi-color psedo chromis, sand sifting goby, midas blenny, 3 pajama cardinals, watchman, fire fish, algae blenny. My angel pretty much hangs out under 1 of 3 different shady areas and is still in the timid phase. When I feed it comes out, swims all around, and I keep thinking he is going to eat something, but he never does. My tank has been up for about 9 months with some macro algae growing here and there along with misc other micro aglae I thought he might snack on.

I honestly didn't realize how finicky he would be. Not sure if I am worried over nothing, or if he is starving to death. Please send tips!

If it is active it will be grazing naturally, I would give it time.

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is active it will be grazing naturally, I would give it time.

Still waiting, tonight I saw him laying in the back of the tank, appears much less active. I have a feeling it might be too late. :-(

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost him by this morning. :-( I think I will steer clear of angels in the future. I never could get him to eat despite arriving very healthy along with 2 other fish that are doing great. For sure I am not doing something right here. Probably should have quarantined him separately and done some special feeding technique that I need to research more.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost him by this morning. :-( I think I will steer clear of angels in the future. I never could get him to eat despite arriving very healthy along with 2 other fish that are doing great. For sure I am not doing something right here. Probably should have quarantined him separately and done some special feeding technique that I need to research more.
I am sorry to hear about losing your angel. Hopefully you were withing the 14 day guarantee window from LiveAquaria. Make sure you save it in a baggie and put in the freezer if LA wants to see a picture of it. Don't give up. There are lots of reasons why this one didn't work out. I do like putting angels in a large acclimation box I picked up from Octoaquatics with a 3 way PVC connector for them to hide for at least a week. Then everyone can get used to each other and if you have to remove the angel for any reason, it makes removal easier than trying to chase it down.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT my fishes but I do keep them separate them from the rest of the fish until they are comfortable and eating well before I release them into the DT. I often keep my new fish in my 40 gal system or in the sump until they are used to captivity.

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT my fishes but I do keep them separate them from the rest of the fish until they are comfortable and eating well before I release them into the DT. I often keep my new fish in my 40 gal system or in the sump until they are used to captivity.
Thank you for the tips and encouragement! Yes I got the $$$ back, but its more about losing fish. I simply don't like that. Ever since getting my 70G+ fuge set up it has frustrating. I have had a 14G cube since 2012 and always wanted a larger tank with more fish, coral . . . . . . . I took my time, slowly adding livestock, but honestly it has been draining. Lost more fish in the last 6 months than I lost in 7 years in my cube. All parameters are within normal ranges, regular water changes . . . . . . Some fish great since day one, others randomly die after 4 months, others don't make it more 2 weeks. I even randomly lost a coral that in all my time with my cube I never lost. I can't put any patterns together on what works and what randomly dies. One of my fish picked up an internal parasite, I guess (I was told), but it didn't spread. Ugh. I think next time I get fish I might put in my cube that is still running or maybe isolate as mentioned here.

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bruce17
@OrionN...is there ANY chance I can add a regal angel at some point...I bought the majestic first, she is a fat happy adult girl or boy. Pretty shy still ...I want the regal but what I have read says I needed to put that in first..
180g
Apx 7' long tank
Lots of caves live rock

Attachments

• VID_20200103_102457.mp4
    11.2 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back