The benefits of "failure"...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The only real mistake in life is the one from which we learn nothing…”
-Henry Ford

The other day, I received a call from a customer who was just devastated. She was a very experienced reefer, with a lot of years in the game- like 25 plus. She made a really basic mistake, failing to quarantine a new fish from an online vendor, added it right to her 300 gallon reef, and - you guessed it- her entire collection of fishes- many rare and expensive- are showing signs of Ich. Yuck.

After we discussed here best course of action, she seemed a lot better…However, she called back again later to just share how she was feeling; The usual emotions you’d expect when one goes through something like this: Regret, self-criticism, questioning, and…shame. Of course, being a fellow veteran in the reef game for three decades, and a keeper of fish since I could walk- I shared my war stories, and reflected on the many, many mistakes I made. I provided the usual “rah, rah" stuff, which essentially became platitudes at some point. The bottom line is that she felt pretty crappy, and just wanted to sort of beat herself up, despite my supportive admonitions to move on. I don’t know if I fully reached her.

Of course, about five hours later, I did something that created similar feelings in myself- I sent out my daily Unique Corals email blast in frenzy, during a distracting part of my work day without proofing it first.

(Do YOU subscribe to our email blasts? You should! They contain all the latest news, deals, secret discount codes, etc. just sign up on the UC home page!)

Of course, you KNOW what happened, right? It contained some really stupid typos- some flat out screw-ups by me, and some a result of the spell checker not recognizing coral species names and offering dumb corrections- which was still clearly my fault, because the human is supposed to check the spell checker, right? When the errors were pointed out to me, I fell into the exact pattern my reefer friend did- disgust, embarrassment, frustration, anger at myself..and yes, shame. Shame that I had let my company down, that I- the “mighty wordsmith” of UC, had let some sub-par stuff slip out into cyberspace, perhaps damaging my brand.

Sure, I tried to rationalize what happened…There was little to rationalize. Better to analyze what happened.

I rushed and failed to do the things necessary to avoid errors before sending. The solution was obvious- just slow down and proofread! Much like the solution my reef keeping friend was given by yours truly- “just quarantine from now on.” Easy to say, right? Sure, she had a short term problem of a tank full of expensive, sick fishes to contend with. Would the mistake devastate her tank? What is the immediate solution? Decisions had to be made and action taken. Quickly. Would this mistake result in her getting out of the hobby? No. Of course not.

Would my typo-filled email blast result in the demise of UC? No. If that’s all it took, that would be pretty sad…Besides, if customers thought less of my entire company because of a few isolated typos, I wonder if these apparently flawless, god-like people are the types I’d want to do business with, anyways.

Yeah, we can rationalize away mistakes. We can dwell on them. Wallow in it. Let them beat us, and win.

Or, we can learn from them, move on, and vow to take measures to never again make the same mistake. I think that’s a better approach, don’t you?

Remember the investigation following the 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and the 2003 Columbia tragedy? NASA realized that both incidents were a result of failure to follow safety protocols that were- or should have been- in place to prevent these kinds of things from happening. Administrative pressures to launch and complete the missions overwhelmed the need to slow down and consider the possibilities poised by cold temps or debris strikes to the shuttle, with tragic consequences.

What did NASA do? After soul-searching, finger-pointing, and much investigation, they instituted and followed protocols to make sure such tragedies never happened again. Obviously, lives were lost and would never be brought back. A proud American institution was rattled to the core. Did NASA quit? Did mankind stop exploring? No. We know the rest of the story- a by-and-large wonderfully successful program emerged that had broad-reaching positive benefits for mankind.

Other-Space-Shuttle-Launch.jpg

Forever forward...

Look, a reef tank or a spelling error on a newsletter are not on par with disasters that resulted in deaths of humans, but the principles- and lessons to be learned- are much the same. As reefers, we can choose to beat ourselves up, listen to a few people who tell us we were stupid. Or we can face what happened, look at what led up to the incident occurring in the first place, manage the consequences, and put procedures into place to assure that such errors never happen again. We can show others that it is possible to make an error and recover. We can share our stories so that fellow reefers don’t make the same mistake. We can make a setback a net gain for ourselves and the hobby..We can emerge stronger and better as reefers- and for that matter- as human beings.

The great inventor, Thomas Edison, on the thousands of failed attempts to create a functional electric light bulb, made the famous and highly-applicable comment, “ I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

Talk about an optimist!

Edison2.jpg

Everyone's favorite failure. Thomas Edison.

Think of all of the great innovations in society, technology, the arts..and in reefkeeping, for that matter- which arose as a result of…failure. A result of error. A result of screwing something up and, rather than dwelling on the negative implications- putting a positive spin on things and moving forward to rise from the ashes of failure, emerging better and stronger than before- for the benefit of others, as well as the individual who perpetrated the error or committed the act of failure.

I submit to you that our reef keeping mistakes are sometimes tragic, often expensive, always frustrating- but never wasted…IF we face them, learn from them-and share the experience with others. In reality, no mistake is ever wasted in life. It can always serve as an example of what NOT to do, a la Edison.

One of my personal icons, Steve Jobs, knew of failure, both before and during his tenure at Apple. In fact, he was actually fired- fired- can you imagine firing the guy?- from Apple. Dumped by the company he co-founded in a garage. As you can imagine, he was devastated- humiliated…felt like a failure. Did he hang it up? Of course not, as he later related in a Stanford commencement speech:

“I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.”

st_2133673b.jpg

We're sure glad Steve Jobs was such a failure...

As Jobs intimated so well, the takeaway from failure is the opportunity to rebound and innovate- stronger than before, flush with the hard-won knowledge that can only come from learning by, well- screwing up. Taking ownership of our mistakes is a pillar of reef keeping technique and philosophy. Everyone screws up in this hobby. Everyone fails. Everyone does something contrary to what they know to be correct. Everyone.

However, it’s the truly successful reefer- and human being- who, rather than dwelling on failure, moves on to learn from it. Rises from the ashes to correct it. Shake off the humiliating cloak of failure, only to don the shiny, freshly-pressed garment of success.

Not everyone can do it. Everyone should…

Steve Weast850 gallon Aquarium_photo-1.jpg

You think Steve Weast created perfection easily? Think again. It took experience.

If the reef keeping hobby were easy, we wouldn’t have forums filled with “how to’s”, and vendors wouldn’t stock medication, electronic controllers, fragging tools. You wouldn’t need to take corrective actions when your water parameters head south. You wouldn’t need to tear apart your reef to move the fish that you knew would bully everything else in your aquarium, yet you tried anyways.

I think I’ll give the customer a call this morning. I think I’ll let her know that what she did- although tragic in the short term- was one of the best things she could have done. Yeah, really. I’ll let her know that if she learns never to make the same mistake again- and more important- shares her mistake and the actions she took to correct it with others- that the tragic incident was in actuality one of the greatest experiences of her reef keeping career. If it helps just one other reefer avoid the same mistake, then the cliche about the hapless fishes not dying in vain really does hold water.

And to you, the readers of my email blast: Do you know that “Record yuma” really is a “Ricordea yuma?” Does the fact that I typed Gonipora bergosi instead of Goniopora burgosi mean that you will forever look at my company with a jaundiced eye and never buy coral from us again? Maybe. Maybe not. I would like to think it wouldn’t drive you away, but hey-that’s your call. I have to tell you that I’m still a bit upset with myself…In fact, I must apologize if I offended some of you and tainted Unique Corals’ image as a result of these typos. On the other hand, at the risk of sounding a bit, well- arrogant- I’m actually kind of happy that I screwed up. Yeah. Why? Because I don’t like the feeling screwing up left me with, and I don’t want to feel it again…and that feeling will push me to do better and hold myself to higher standards.

sunrise_over_the_ocean_by_ihateyou_yetiloveyou-d62vyrd.jpg

Every day is a new chance to learn and grow. Seize it.

Of course, being human, you know that I’m bound to screw up again at some point in the future. But it’s okay. I still believe in myself. I will still learn. I will still improve. Oh, and just because we acknowledge and “own” our failures doesn’t mean that we can hold ourselves to lower standards.

It just means that we need to be a bit more aware of the possibilities of doing something in a manner that we know might be detrimental.

And to you, the reef keeper who though he was going to be the ONE person who could create a substrate consisting entirely of Acanthastrea frags, or you, THAT reefer who decided that it’s okay to build the open-top reef with 30,000 gallons per hour of flow and a surge system located above that really expensive hardwood floor…I wish you all the success…or, I wish you a pleasant journey towards success as your recover from a setback.

Your bravery, heart, optimism and tenacity exemplify the best traits of today’s reef keepers, and human beings.

So, stay with it. Be kind to yourself, and patient with others.

And most important of all…

Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another 'Great One' Scott, we hear hear this a whole lot in our lives from many people both loved and trusted or NOT but no matter from whom it is oh so difficult to swallow 'the pill of self failure' lesson(s) to be learned or not. We as a species typically seem to be so caught up in the shame of failure that we literally do not 'see the forest through the trees' and desperately need respected 'Wordsmiths' like you to let us know "Hey it's OK, so you made a mistake.... just learn from it and do better next time or from now on". In our oh so Politically Correct society of 'we are all WINNERS' what it really has done is to undermine the potential 'success from failure' that used to be an American Ideal...........

As for me, I'm still reeling in from this Summer's chemistry imbalance devistation in my own system that I hinted at in another of your threads. So taking it nice and slow with a bit of Darwainian approach by letting the strongest/most resilient corals recover and occupy space given up by less adaptive species. I made a HUGE mistake in letting things (basic maintenance and testing) get away from me while distracted with other interests. Lesson learned and may eventually even forgive myself a bit but, being a stubborn German this may take a while... lol

Cheers, Todd

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back