The Florida Project.

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used to have a reef... I say used to because for a month I have been bed ridden with Corona. In that time I wasn't able to maintain water changes and parameters. My beautiful reef turned in to a hair algae covered wasteland with some snails sponges and a lonely damsel.

However out of this disaster I can follow a dream I had a long time ago.

I will be transforming my wasteland in a to a slice of Florida reef by sourcing inverts and possibly fish locally. I'll be using local drifitng Saragassum as the primary aquascape around the live rock to offset nutrient spikes and provide shelter and food for oddball inverts. I'll probably anchor them to rocks with glue.

I need a bit more sand to house some sand loving organisms such as clams and brittle stars.

For filtration I have some chemical filtration in the form of carbon, got some mechanical with a filter sponge and floss.
And to top that off I have a nano skimmer that did a dang good job in the past.

I want this tank to be rich in nutrients for the most part which is the biggest challenge due to the tank being only around 16 gallons. Hopefully the skimmer and macro algae along with the inverts can balance things out nicely.

Over top of the reef I have some Mangrove pods sprouting which will form an interesting aquascape with their roots, when they reach a size too large for the tank they will be replanted at nearby beaches in an effort to maintain our mangrove population and provide shelter for many organisms suffering due to mangrove removal.

As for coral, I would like to source some zoas ricordeas and gorgonians but I'm a little unclear about locations and species allowed to be collected so I'll be contacting some reef conservation groups for more info. Not at the coral point anyway.

This has been a dream for a long time. Hopefully I can make it a reality. Any advice is more than welcome and I'd love if you guys would join me on thos journey!

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today if the weather stays semi calm I'll be harvesting fuzzy chiton, clams, sand fleas and if luck works my way some other oddball fish and inverts. If I'm a very lucky boy I might find some sally lightfoots and other unique crabs.

Harvesting the chiton is a bit of a chore since I have to climb down the sharp sides of a rough jetty and I have to do it barefoot otherwise I'll just slip off the slimy algae and get knocked around on the jagged jetty rocks. Also need my tackle knife to safely pry them off. My goal is to do no harm. Yes these species are beyond plentiful and fully legal to collect however I do not condone careless harvesting of animals resulting in injury or death needlessly.

Got a huge thunderstorm rolling in so I'll have to be fast and careful.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't get swept away but nearly did when I hooked a shark.

I found the jackpot. I'm searching the jetty for rocks that have mini tide pools when I find honest to god light blue/green zoas.

Managed to chip a few polyps off the rocks. Will come back for more at different date. There was also brain coral nearby. Definitely can't collect that....

Found a few small limpets and chitons but then I found some HUGE hand sized ones. Wasn't able to pry them off safely so I'll come back for those too. Also found a whole bunch of reef gobies in the rocks.

I felt like a dang kid at a candy store and it's all free.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got some beautiful caulerpa.

I know what you're thinking!
"A hobbyist keeping caulerpa? Is he mental?!"

Yes. Yes I am.

Also its mainly a macro algae reef. No SPS to grow over. Softies like zoas and ricordeas should adapt just fine

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More specifically it's caulerpa sertularioides. Which I find beautiful. I harvested some Saragassum which... is literally stinking up the beach because there's so dang much. But this is all freshly fished out... because it kept snagging on my line XD

So I'll be carefully gluing them both to rocks around the reef. I might post a pic but I'm having trouble finding my brush to clean the rocks

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the yellow Sargassum is bleached.... I'm not sure. Guess I'll find out.

This took hours. I scrubbed hair algae off rocks, glued down the harvested zoas, then glued the macroalgae to rocks.... slowly.

Also had to acclimate everything on top of that.

Still a mess but we're getting there.
20200723_001619.jpg
20200723_123658.jpg

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people viewing the thread but not commenting.

Feel free to comment folks. It's very much appreciated.

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people viewing the thread but not commenting.

Feel free to comment folks. It's very much appreciated.
Haha, I think you scared them off by noticing.
It looks pretty cool. How do you know what you’re allowed to take and not take?

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I think you scared them off by noticing.
It looks pretty cool. How do you know what you’re allowed to take and not take?
They must spook as easily as these gobies.

There's a whole set of marine collection laws under FWC and other conservation sources.
I don't get close to bag limits but I do have to be careful with species limits.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the beaches will happily pay people to take the Sargassum in mega bulk.

1000s of pounds of the stuff washes up on a daily basis. Gets a bit stinky by the shore.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion has been confirmed.

It seems the yellow Sargassum is bleached or in a sexual phase. Interestingly the Sargassum that is bleached is regaining its colour. There isn't a whole ton of data on this algae in reference to the hobby so I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Found a bunch of tiny random clams in the sand bed.. weird.

Water is back to being nearly crystal. Want to move the heater back but I'm running my dehumidifier right now so the water levels can dip
20200724_150236.jpg
20200724_150418.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back