The history of Tony's Cookie Monster

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting a few questions about this one lately, and since history disappears fast in this hobby, I thought it might be a good idea to record all this for posterity before I lose the pictures :).
27710170_10116142521374654_4764022751942096066_o.jpg

I found this coral in early 2012 at a small, now-defunct shop in NYC called Coral Theory that I visited with a friend after a frag swap. This was right around the time the first Aussie corals were coming in. I spotted it in one of their holding tanks; a single, foot-long, INSANELY blue (although bleached from being recently imported) single branch about finger-thick. I had always wanted a solid sky-blue stag like I had seen in the amazing photos of Italian reef aquariums, and I convinced them to sell me a decently-sized frag for $80, which was a lot at the time.
IMAG0476.JPG

Tony's Cookie Monster, day 1

I grew it out for a couple years, never really having a name for it, calling it my blue stick for lack of anything better, and thinking it was just a really nice Australian hoeksemai. It only got more blue over time, and eventually surpassed even the Oregon Tort in vibrance.
hoek.PNG

A shot from 2013 under XM 10k halide, no actinics.

20130802_135642.JPG

Late 2013, growing out

Around the same time, and unbeknownst to me, John Coppolino acquired another colony of the same species and called it the Aussie Azure, although his and mine are different shades of blue ( it's obvious when they're side-by-side). By this time, it had become clear that this was something different from the cultured hoeksemais that were in the hobby; it grew twice as thick and twice as slow. When my 80 gallon cube crashed about 4.5 years ago thanks to some horrible neighbors, I gave the colony to Sanjay Joshi, which is when we took this pic under mostly white LED light and nearly broke his facebook feed for a day or two lol.
12710703_10110167571911274_7551875203836859335_o.jpg

This is when we came up with the name Cookie Monster. I also gave a few frags to RandyO at AReefCreation, who grows it to this day. He added my name to it when he put the first frags for sale here on R2R in this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nice-acro-pack.159842/#post-1856568 and it's been Tony's Cookie Monster ever since. To this day, I have never seen an acro with such a pure hippo-tang blue. Even these photos don't do it any justice.

apt220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just beautiful. Deep blue pieces like that under daylight spectrum are hard to come by. Bravo [emoji108][emoji106]

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if it was similar to copps piece. I have a piece of the azure and hopefully it grows well since no one else has gotten it to grow steadily. Is this piece hard to grow as well?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think maybe the different shades of blue could be lighting? The piece I got from john looks to be the same color. I would love to find a piece of yours too especially if there is a difference. I wonder how rare this stag is in Australia? That's my big question. They always complain that the nice stuff like this gets shipped to the states for more money but I dont see it.
I have a solid blue stag I grew into a colony but its deep blue with the light blue in the tips, definitely my favorite and was the hardest to find one with no green in it.

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think maybe the different shades of blue could be lighting? The piece I got from john looks to be the same color. I would love to find a piece of yours too especially if there is a difference. I wonder how rare this stag is in Australia? That's my big question. They always complain that the nice stuff like this gets shipped to the states for more money but I dont see it.
I have a solid blue stag I grew into a colony but its deep blue with the light blue in the tips, definitely my favorite and was the hardest to find one with no green in it.

Ah, what I mean't by: "different shades" was: " Different shades when grown next to each other in the same tank" lol. The difference between Copps' & mine is subtle, and in Sanjay's tank, when the cookie monster was slightly ticked off but the Azure wasn't, they would look pretty much identical. However, when both are equally happy and growing, you can definitely tell them apart. That being said, I've always told people that if you have one, you don't need the other :).

I'm rather surprised people can't grow the Azure. I don't consider these stags hard to grow, but they do grow like molasses in January. You need to grow them like you would grow Acropora robusta: Tons of light, flow, and food.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, what I mean't by: "different shades" was: " Different shades when grown next to each other in the same tank" lol. The difference between Copps' & mine is subtle, and in Sanjay's tank, when the cookie monster was slightly ticked off but the Azure wasn't, they would look pretty much identical. However, when both are equally happy and growing, you can definitely tell them apart. That being said, I've always told people that if you have one, you don't need the other :).

I'm rather surprised people can't grow the Azure. I don't consider these stags hard to grow, but they do grow like molasses in January. You need to grow them like you would grow Acropora robusta: Tons of light, flow, and food.

Yea it is weird. Everyone here has had it grow well then just stop, even john stopped selling it because it's not doing anything. I was very lucky he cut me one when I was there. I really hope it doesnt stall out on me.

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a piece from tck/arc and it’s growing well already for me but it’s a tiny frag. I am very excited to see how this guy grows. At the moment it’s almost the highest sitting frag and gets pretty high flow too.

Jonddk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful piece Tony. I recently started keeping SPS and having some ups and downs. I remember your tank and you giving me a tour of the PSU reef and the old NCPARS reef swaps back in the day. Hope you are doing well!

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful piece Tony. I recently started keeping SPS and having some ups and downs. I remember your tank and you giving me a tour of the PSU reef and the old NCPARS reef swaps back in the day. Hope you are doing well!

Omg that was like 100 years ago lol.

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read ! Love good story’s. I picked up this one at a live sale. Havnt seen too many, really did not know much about it either.
When I get a new frag, I always do a thorough history search. Thanks for posting. Here is today’s purchase...

E0AB317F-0006-48ED-A40B-E7B41CBE3C9D.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back