OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot easier once he's older. There are several methods to relieve the toots. You'll find videos of laying baby on back and in slow movement, moving legs toward abdomen helps the gas pass.
I may have seen a couple. And heard some good toots. I've gotten some good burps too. The hiccups though... He doesn't seem too bothered by them, but they can't be comfortable.

Edit: it's my understanding that a lot of things get easier when they get older. Then they become teenagers.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The hiccups though... He doesn't seem too bothered by them, but they can't be comfortable
Hiccups really wont stop them from sleeping. I always was worried about them. Never phased a baby I seen with hiccups. Seems to effect the parents most. I know we hate having them.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine sleeps well when he's down. Then he gets a bubble in his tummy and throws an absolute fit. I want to look up some massage stuff to help that.
My daughter was a little colicky. I'd flip her over on her belly with her face in my hand and gently pat her back. She'd fall asleep quick.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter was a little colicky. I'd flip her over on her belly with her face in my hand and gently pat her back. She'd fall asleep quick.
That's how I calmed him this afternoon after a particularly difficult (for me) temperature taking. He's been red and sweaty most of the day and nothing over 98. So I went with what was told to be the most reliable. It matched the forehead.

I'm happy to be currently in the "first time parents worry" stage and not the "kid and wife in the hospital" worry.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiccups really wont stop them from sleeping. I always was worried about them. Never phased a baby I seen with hiccups. Seems to effect the parents most. I know we hate having them.
That's good to hear. He seems less bothered than I.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's how I calmed him this afternoon after a particularly difficult (for me) temperature taking. He's been red and sweaty most of the day and nothing over 98. So I went with what was told to be the most reliable. It matched the forehead.

I'm happy to be currently in the "first time parents worry" stage and not the "kid and wife in the hospital" worry.
It's difficult. Each babe is so unique. But, it's a lot more comforting at home.

As for being red and sweaty, it's our job to figure out if less or more layers of clothing is needed. It's summer, keeping him cool is just as important as keeping warm.

my son was born late december. Keeping his hands warm was so difficult.

Anyhow, this woman, pricillia dunsten really helped me understand my sons cries.

I hate Opera, but i give credit, where credit is due.

Give her a listen she might help you understand the dufferent sounds of baby cries and what they mean. Took away a lot of guess work for me.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult. Each babe is so unique. But, it's a lot more comforting at home.

As for being red and sweaty, it's our job to figure out if less or more layers of clothing is needed. It's summer, keeping him cool is just as important as keeping warm.

Anyhow, this woman, pricillia dunsten really helped me understand my sons cries.

Give her a listen she might help you understand the dufferent sounds of baby cries and what they mean. Took away a lot of guess work for me.

Read a book from the library that had an explanation too. You it on order now and can post some of the good statements from it. Checking out the video now.
I had to burp the crap out of my kids after feedings or there was no respite.
Last night was rough. He wouldn't sleep unless held. And not eating from the bottle as well as before. No great loss though, w have mommy milk. He has long feedings, but looks content in the end.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night was rough. He wouldn't sleep unless held.
I'm sure you have come across this, but just as some reassurance this is totally normal. Leaving the comfort of the womb is a huge adjustment. The fact that your little dude was early is probably going to make it take him a little longer to adjust. Both my kids needed to be swaddled tightly for a long time to help with the startle reflex. They also both preferred to sleep in a rock and play which kept them slightly elevated and nice and snug on either side. I believe these are now frowned upon , but it was a life saver for us.
When you first said you were expecting, I sent you the hunger games GIF

Hunger Games Student GIF

Although there was implied humor, there is truth to it. I had to learn to let go of all the "what I am supposed to do" and listening to people tell me if I did things a certain way, the baby would never learn blah blah bah... honestly, it just came down to survival. If holding your little one, so they can feel snug and secure to get some sleep, and you are able to rest comfortably at the same time, then so be it. These stages dont last forever (although in the moment they feel like it). And just when you think something might be working, boom, they go and change it up on you. I felt like a mad scientist trying to figure out the formula to get my babies to cooperate. lol. I know you didn't ask for all that info. I'm not trying to come across all preachy. Just sharing my experience, in case any of it is helpful to you along the way. GL you got this!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Swaddling, when done right, is a life changer!
I cant tell you how many different types we tried before we found sleep. but omg what a change

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From my book:
IMG_20230626_133936725_HDR.jpg

Also Tim and Sam, has a how to swaddle section. I'm not a bad baby burritoer. We need a warm weather solution. Maybe naked in the muslin.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you have come across this, but just as some reassurance this is totally normal. Leaving the comfort of the womb is a huge adjustment. The fact that your little dude was early is probably going to make it take him a little longer to adjust. Both my kids needed to be swaddled tightly for a long time to help with the startle reflex. They also both preferred to sleep in a rock and play which kept them slightly elevated and nice and snug on either side. I believe these are now frowned upon , but it was a life saver for us.
He has slept well swaddled and even on his side in the NICU. It's "back to sleep" here, but how he moves once that happens is his deal.
When you first said you were expecting, I sent you the hunger games GIF

Hunger Games Student GIF

Although there was implied humor, there is truth to it. I had to learn to let go of all the "what I am supposed to do" and listening to people tell me if I did things a certain way, the baby would never learn blah blah bah... honestly, it just came down to survival. If holding your little one, so they can feel snug and secure to get some sleep, and you are able to rest comfortably at the same time, then so be it.
I told my wife in the hospital we will never make the right decision for everyone we talk to. Formula or pump or breast only. To cercumcise or not... For me, if he's living and growing and not a total wrasse when he grows up I did alright.
These stages dont last forever (although in the moment they feel like it).
That's what I tell myself at 3 when he's fussing. One day I will put him down and never pick him back up. That helps me cherish it all a little more.
And just when you think something might be working, boom, they go and change it up on you. I felt like a mad scientist trying to figure out the formula to get my babies to cooperate. lol. I know you didn't ask for all that info. I'm not trying to come across all preachy. Just sharing my experience, in case any of it is helpful to you along the way. GL you got this!
Thanks. And not preachy. At least that I could tell.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From my book:
IMG_20230626_133936725_HDR.jpg

Also Tim and Sam, has a how to swaddle section. I'm not a bad baby burritoer. We need a warm weather solution. Maybe naked in the muslin.
My son was a March baby and we swaddled him. Just use those thin blankets like they use in the hospital.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reef news, lost another across. I think I did it, not anything else. The rack had fallen down and in replacing the coral o grabbed it rather than the plug. Not sure something wasn't on my hands as it wasn't the first coral I moved.

I'm making a coral dipping rack now so that I can pull the sickly looking ones out and dip them. I have coral dip from the petcos and will be getting the fixings for KFC dip when I get around to it.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Mo Faux Pa:

5 ants got together with another 5 ants and rented an apartment together.

What does that make them?

Ten Ants - Tenants
that's a good one. if I were better rested I'd respond in kind, but I'm running like a car missing half the wheels:

two tired.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
that's a good one. if I were better rested I'd respond in kind, but I'm running like a car missing half the wheels:

two tired.
I see what you did there! Get some rest. The baby needs it. :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back