The Money Pit

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Don!
I have not yet tested it. I got the unit from Home Depot. It came with four center braces (one per shelf). I put three of the braces on this one shelf. I hope this helps support the weight. If not I have the ability to weld up a heavier support to go under it.

C1E16E7B-55E0-4564-8428-FA36DA07DFE0.jpeg

A nice piece of 3/4" plywood cut to fit the shelf will provide all the support you need.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<Hat Tip> Very impressive build. I love the craftsmanship on the stand and the granite top is a nice touch too. Isn't it nice when everything is new and clean? But I do have one question about placement...

I was always told that you should never set up in front of a window as natural sunlight could skew intended light schedules. Why have you chosen that location?

OP
OP
D

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<Hat Tip> Very impressive build. I love the craftsmanship on the stand and the granite top is a nice touch too. Isn't it nice when everything is new and clean? But I do have one question about placement...

I was always told that you should never set up in front of a window as natural sunlight could skew intended light schedules. Why have you chosen that location?

Thanks I hope to keep it clean! Lol we all know how that goes....

Tank location is not ideal. My house is small and the tank is large! If I had an option to put it somewhere else I would have. Light can be a concern however quality blinds help in a big way. I’m more concerned about temperature. I have quality windows and this window is shaded by my covered back porch. Hopefully that will help keep temp swings to a minimum....

OP
OP
D

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice piece of 3/4" plywood cut to fit the shelf will provide all the support you need.
The shelf system has held two of the 44 gallon cans full without issue. The three braces help a ton!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a carry over from fresh water aquariums. There are people who light there tanks using nothing but natural daylight.

JonPhillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive. Probably would have gone with a shallower longer tank in that size room for a smaller footprint. But to each their own. Wife says no to a tank in the living room so good on you. And what am I saying, I just moved a 90 g frag tank into my bedroom. I basically sleep with the fish now. Lol.

What float valves are you using in the garage to trigger on and off if at all?

OP
OP
D

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive. Probably would have gone with a shallower longer tank in that size room for a smaller footprint. But to each their own. Wife says no to a tank in the living room so good on you. And what am I saying, I just moved a 90 g frag tank into my bedroom. I basically sleep with the fish now. Lol.

What float valves are you using in the garage to trigger on and off if at all?

Thanks!

I’ve had narrow tanks in the past and I wanted a wide tank. My living room is just a weird shape. I have a solid rock wall that runs from floor to ceiling on one side and the TV wall is across from it. The other two walls have giant windows and doors... the tank fits nicely in its spot.

I currently haven’t hooked up an auto shut off on my RODI. I have a reefkeeper lite and the mechanical float switch sitting here.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great dustint21!! Love the stain color of the wood! What Bashsea sump size are you running the 36in or 48in? On my dream upgrade that I am slowly planning I am dying to incorporate a Bashsea filtration set up !

OP
OP
D

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great dustint21!! Love the stain color of the wood! What Bashsea sump size are you running the 36in or 48in? On my dream upgrade that I am slowly planning I am dying to incorporate a Bashsea filtration set up !

Thank you! It is a 36” sump. Had to leave room for the rest of the stuff! Love it so far! Great quality!

Best build I've seen on here yet.

Thank you sir! Greatly appreciate your comments!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the canopy is just a faux canopy to hide the light? The light is still suspended from the ceiling, right? How is access to the tank with that set up? Do you have to slide the canopy off to work in the tank? I have a LED/T5 powermodule and I struggled for a long time how to figure out what I would do, since I didn't want all that light in my living room. I thought about something along these lines, but it would not have been as nice as yours. I love everything about this build.

OP
OP
D

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the canopy is just a faux canopy to hide the light? The light is still suspended from the ceiling, right? How is access to the tank with that set up? Do you have to slide the canopy off to work in the tank? I have a LED/T5 powermodule and I struggled for a long time how to figure out what I would do, since I didn't want all that light in my living room. I thought about something along these lines, but it would not have been as nice as yours. I love everything about this build.

Yes the ati is still hanging from the ceiling. I wanted to be able to remove the canopy myself and raise the light on the hanging kit. I figure this would be the easiest way to get into the tank. I can remove the canopy by sliding it off the tank. I had the wife snap a pic. Hope this helps! Thank you for the kind words!

233FA5DC-8A99-4EB4-9C97-02779CC14E37.jpeg

7CCFA0AE-3AA8-4924-A589-9655D0BF6F2C.jpeg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures. That is the way I was thinking you had it set up. I was going to discard my old canopy, but right now, I am trying so refurbish it and do something like what you have, except the light will actually just sit on top of the canopy and I will still have the lift up door. I cut a huge hole in the top for the light to sit over. The only thing I don't like is that the canopy was originally built for metal halide lighting and it is pretty tall. Lights will be 17" above the water line. Anyway, if that doesn't work out, I now have new inspiration from what you have done. :)

OP
OP
D

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures. That is the way I was thinking you had it set up. I was going to discard my old canopy, but right now, I am trying so refurbish it and do something like what you have, except the light will actually just sit on top of the canopy and I will still have the lift up door. I cut a huge hole in the top for the light to sit over. The only thing I don't like is that the canopy was originally built for metal halide lighting and it is pretty tall. Lights will be 17" above the water line. Anyway, if that doesn't work out, I now have new inspiration from what you have done. :)
Sounds like you have a good plan of attack! I’m still not sure where my light will end up. The canopy is only 10” tall so I’m hoping not higher than that! Lol

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It is a 36” sump. Had to leave room for the rest of the stuff! Love it so far! Great quality!

dustint21 it’s a beautiful sump I will say!! I understand leaving room for the rest of the the other gear. I have been looking at either the 36in or the 48in as my future sump.. good to know about the quality!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
As you work on your wiring, keep in mind that you will want to remove your skimmer and return pump periodically for maintenance. I worked so hard on my first system to make the wiring look nice it made doing maintenance absolutely awful. As a build out my new system, I am making it as maintenance friendly as possible at the cost of some aesthetics.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back