The next BIG aquarium product! What would you like to see?

Is there much innovation left in the hobby?

• Yes a little

Votes: 115 11.3%
  • Yes a lot more

Votes: 856 83.8%
  • No the well is dry

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • What is innovation?

Votes: 27 2.6%

• Total voters

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that there are a ton of test kits that rarely agree with each other is a problem. Accuracy is pretty awful, even between reagent batches. Automated testing may also be impacted by this (don't know I haven't tried those systems yet). It irks me to spend SO much time testing water and only be able to trust the data so much.

I think wavemakers still have a place. rock that is pre-fab and fits together to make structures without glue/rods.

Someone mentioned it above, but having individual transformers for EVERY DC component stinks, makes heat, takes up room. I envision a box that has one input and many (controllable?) outputs that can be configured at 12V, 24V, 36V and so on so that we can ditch the individual transformers.

U

User1

View Badges
increased sustainable, live rock

That is already available - TBS ships under water and meets this requirement both in what he ships and leased ocean to sustain it. It also is about the most environmental friendly solution out there. KP aquatics also ships similar product but not under water although it is also leased oceanic land and sustaining.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to see someone develop way better aquarium gloves. The current shoulder length options are way too clunky and a PITA to use, so I always just bare hand it. We need something made more like a ‘second skin’ so you don’t lose any dexterity, that’s still durable to avoid tearing and goes up to your shoulder, while still be quick and easy to put on and pull off.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium wise, there will be many fancy products that look appealing to the buyer but not very useful.
I hope there will be true improvements in our ability to improve water quality.
The most important will be all the research in growing our own fish & corals so no more will be taken from Mother Nature's sea's !

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that most of the products in the last decade were a results of inventing a problem to solve. As long as bacteria, living microorganisms, gravity and chemistry still exist, they do most of the heavy lifting and everything else is along for the ride.

The best thing in the last decade have been more captive bred fish and inverts.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A leak-proof, scratch proof, self cleaning tank is all I want.
But first, someone needs to send the marines into Indo and open up the coral fisheries.
That or retool the Taliban pirates to go get us that coral!
That aside,
@Brew12 is absolutely correct; The next innovation is gonna be great, even if it is some cool thread designs for a fish.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But things like wave pumps should in no way cost $300-$500. It's greed and money.

It sucks but that's how it is - remember the only saying about the $10,000 invoice for a hammer tap. Its 2$ to tap it, $9998 for knowing exactly where to tap. Its not the components - its the know how and the ability to produce. I'm not going to try to DIY a pump myself, but if I did, it would be a bicycle powered Archimedes pump that I'd use during feeding time. Gotta get that cardio in somehow!

Products like a $200-$400 "phyto reactor" bother me. I'll grow phyto in a trash can or old empty barrel of pretzels from Sams / Costco lol.

I'd like to have some one come up with a confirmed cure for HLLE. Those other diseases are terrible, but until you've seen your oldest fish just waste away (and suffer) over 2 months, doing everything within you power to nurse it back to health...whew...its totally heart breaking.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank that will tell you to add or not to add things and exactly what to add and when. This includes corals and fish. If you go near it with something you think will help it and look good but it wont, it will tell you to go away. If you do put it in, an alarm will go off. Prob not good for the market place but would make reefing simpler for the novice and expert alike.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of posts about automation! I kinda like getting my hands wet sometimes.....I say this as I have a 40 gallon. I’m sure if I had to do lots of maintenance on a larger tank I might be saying more automation :D

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High end heater package or heater controller. Something with a large display that be seen from afar, like the JBJ true temp heater controller.

Summary:
- 3 temp sensors, best 2 out of 3 voting. Or something with a back up.
- Large display of set point and actual temp.
- Able to accept/power multiple heat elements.
- Robust heating element options.
- Long enough wires to accommodate mounting outside of sump area.

Allen glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click bait title but I'm really curious to see what NEW type of product would you like to see come into the aquarium hobby. Maybe it's completely new, out of the box or maybe it's just something we already have but better. Maybe someone will see your idea and build it or make it better!

So if you could think it up or dream it up what would the next big product, tool, etc. be?

next big.jpg

fish image via ChristopherKriens
Something that scrubs algea

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back