The Official R2R Mantis Shrimp Thread!

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah its definitely a peacock, I know my mantis shrimps ;)
Cool, I've been collecting Mantis since 2006 and I've never heard of a 1" peacock. Well other my LFS that call every mantis with more than one color a Peacock. :tongue:

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone through Roy's list and checked, but the mantis has the same colors and traits as an o. Scyllarus. Same colors as my other 2 peacocks. And its not impossible to have one 1.5in long.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its not impossible to have one 1.5in long.

I've seen pics of one 1.5" on a forum, a few years ago. I said if I could ever find one less than 2" I'd jump all over it. You rarely see anyone keeping large O. scyllarus more than a year or 2.

Smaller ones have to be out there but I think the larger ones are collected because they will sell faster. I will keep one again and when I do it will have to be 3" or less when I buy it.

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first was 3in and I had him for 2 years. This little guy is literally the size of a carrot lol. Actually not sure if its a guy, I forgot to check when I was checking it out.

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well bad news :( Got a call from the LFS and he said the small peacock mantis died..

He went down today to get fish, and he brought back the last mantis available.

It's a male, about 2 inches, and I'm fairly confident that it is a G. Ternatensis. Dark/blue-green tinted body with orange/red stripes, blue uropods and antennal scales. (both signs in only MALE G. Ternatensis, females have different colors..), as well as purple raptorial appendages. Only other mantis that came close was N. Wennerae.

Got the tank cycling very quicky so I MAY be able to get him in there this weekend. wish me luck! he looks great.
I'll get pics asap when I get him so I can get some more input on species ID

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...traca/royslist/species.php?name=g_ternatensis

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any new pics or news from the mantis crew?

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I didn't know there was an official mantis thread here! I just started a thread with this pic. I don't know what species she is.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aw man i tried a mantis and it was doing ok until winter came and our heater broke, did not have enough to keep thetemp up....i want another one eventually, one of the coolest things in the hobby.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny too we can catch those lime looking green ones at sebastion inlet where i live only 45 minutes away, i need to get one! just time is not there for it to be done and kept care of

Ryan2428

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I am cycling a 20 gallon right now to join the club. Never new how cool they were till I visited a fellow reefer . And fell in love with it lol

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you tell the sex?

Look underneath near the last pair of walking legs. If it's a male it will have what looks like 2 sticks, those are the male sex organs. If it doesn't have them it's a female.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back