The Official R2R Mantis Shrimp Thread!

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yea, I have a deep sand bed 4-5 inches for him to dig in. I am worried about the bull dozer effect me may have on my tank. Is it a good idea to have a lot of rubble in the tank for him to build with? Maybe keep him occupied?

By no means would I put expensive LE fish in with him (lol) but a school full of damsel's shouldn't be a problem maybe a small hawk fish? Do any other fish seam like they may work out? Or just too risky? What worked for you?

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more rubble in there the better. You really can't add too much and you never know what they will use and what they won't. Even if it's not being used at the moment, stomatopods will rebuild burrows as they molt and grow.

Open water swimming fish are better choices for a mantis tank to minimize contact with the mantis and his burrow. Damsels are really the best choice. Perching fish like blennies, gobies and hawfish may be a bad idea. I kept blue damsels with mine and Sgt. Majors I caught myself. It's better to add the fish first and then the mantis so the fish can acclimate to the tank and establish territory.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the mantis I had a few years ago and her tank
IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

one of my favorite pics
IMG_2592.jpg

and her tank,. 20g long
IMG_3100.jpg

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more rubble in there the better. You really can't add too much and you never know what they will use and what they won't. Even if it's not being used at the moment, stomatopods will rebuild burrows as they molt and grow.

Open water swimming fish are better choices for a mantis tank to minimize contact with the mantis and his burrow. Damsels are really the best choice. Perching fish like blennies, gobies and hawfish may be a bad idea. I kept blue damsels with mine and Sgt. Majors I caught myself. It's better to add the fish first and then the mantis so the fish can acclimate to the tank and establish territory.

Thanks for the advice!

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Look what I just found at the store I work at.
ry6a5u2u.jpg
gyse8ese.jpg
8e9yda5e.jpg

Crappy iPhone camera, but he is about half an inch and dark grey. Any ideas about an ID?

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways, I'm feeding standard pe mysis and flakes right now. This evening, I'm going to see if he will come out for some beef heart.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can't really tell. Any idea where the rocks were from that he hitchhiked on?

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can't really tell. Any idea where the rocks were from that he hitchhiked on?

Ah, fail. The store has been around for 20 years and for the last 3 we have been recycling rock from people getting out of the hobby or buying RealReef. I cleaned 9 tanks yesterday, worked 14 hrs. I didn't get that great of a look at him before I acclimated and dropped him in my tank.

Hopefully tonight, I can talk him out of his hiding spot.

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah, fail. The store has been around for 20 years and for the last 3 we have been recycling rock from people getting out of the hobby or buying RealReef. I cleaned 9 tanks yesterday, worked 14 hrs. I didn't get that great of a look at him before I acclimated and dropped him in my tank.

Hopefully tonight, I can talk him out of his hiding spot.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, hopefully you can get a better shot.

My Peacock molted and lost her raps. :cry: When I first got her she had a rough molt and it looked some of her rap molt got stuck. I was worried this might happen but just glad she didn't die.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short video of feeding my Peacock.
[video=youtube;9ZsTROBqbgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZsTROBqbgQ[/video]

Last edited:
OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short video of feeding my Peacock.
[video=youtube;9ZsTROBqbgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZsTROBqbgQ[/video]

Nice mantis! Any idea if it's male or female? Makes me miss my peacocks.

I think my little one is dying from a bad molt. She was curled up in a hole for a over a week and barely moved. After MACNA she was at the back of the tank twitching and looked stretched out. I checked last night and she was in the same position but not moving so I thought she was dead. When I lifted the lid to get her out she moved a little bit so I left her. I'm still hoping for a miracle but it doesn't look good. I've had her over 2 years.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on it's size and aggressiveness I would guess female. Crossing my fingers for your little one. Molting is the worst. My Oerstedii took over two weeks and was barely moving for the last few days. I hope it pulls through for you!

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received a 2 inch peacock. SO STOKED!!

u9u5egy7.jpg

Right now he is hiding in my red grape.
yzega5a9.jpg

I know. Horrible photos.

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man trying to upload a pic of my mantis on here but for some reason it wont load at all :(

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back