The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know my limitations and can say I am lost on most of the last few pages of this quarantine, no quarantine, oxydator, ozone, Viet Nam, Jeep, LED,
algae scrubber, Maxspect Gyre , MP40, ghl p4, Things are. (I really have no idea what those last three things are and am glad I don't need them) :cool:
The maxspect gyre is just a strong pump - I have one for my 200 gallon tank and one for my 150. It more than does the trick for flow - is programmable. Im not sure about the oxygen thing:). I'm also not sure that adding H2O2 to the tank wouldn't have the same effect as the oxydator (which is backordered).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm surprised there's no emoticon on here for laughing (not out of disrespect), I had a few posts on here where that best represents my reaction
Try - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... or something like that:)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my limitations and can say I am lost on most of the last few pages of this quarantine, no quarantine, oxydator, ozone, Viet Nam, Jeep, LED,
algae scrubber, Maxspect Gyre , MP40, ghl p4, Things are. (I really have no idea what those last three things are and am glad I don't need them) :cool:
There are times Paul when I wish I didn’t know about them

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are times Paul when I wish I didn’t know about them

There is an unimaginable, enormous, immense universe of things I have no idea about. :rolleyes:

Mn, Thanks for the Gyre explanation. I didn't want to Google it. :D

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water movement at the surface (water air interface) helps gas exchange. In the water depth, circulation allows nutrient exchange at the boundary layer of water to biomass. Slightly differrent.
my MP40 on battery back up I saw DO levels drop, with a surface powerhead I didn’t see the same drop,
I would expect to see a higher level of O2 when surface agitation is provided, this makes sense. I also have powerheads/wavemakers hooked up to my battery backup. I just want to make sure that this will be enough to keep my tank oxygenated during a power outage at night.

Keep up the experiments. Any data you can provide will be useful.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single probe, i can place it in different parts if the tank/sump, but it’s limited by the length of wire to my ghl p4. When I was trying to various scenarios I left the probe in its holder in my sump, to give a modicum of a baseline to compare results. The one downside of the waterfall is the noise, it was dreadfully loud and not at all practical for a house..

If you had a remote refugium located in the basement, you could have cascading waterfalls in another room. No worries with the noise

As a member of Marine Aquarium Society of Houston, I visited Eric Boreneman 1500G extended system. A tidal pool and lagoon with a waterfall were in outside greenhouse 200’ from display tank in the house.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you had a remote refugium located in the basement, you could have cascading waterfalls in another room. No worries with the noise

As a member of Marine Aquarium Society of Houston, I visited Eric Boreneman 1500G extended system. A tidal pool and lagoon with a waterfall were in outside greenhouse 200’ from display tank in the house.
And If I had a tropical garage with a pump - could pump water from the ceiling and let if flow to a tank downstairs - it would be really oxygenated - and then pump it back up... :)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They survive freezing here all winter. The rocks are covered in them so much that you can't see any rock. They are still there alive and well in the summer so I guess freezing just makes them giddy.

I just witnessed a sci-fi horror scene in 2G CPR HOB acrylic refugium. Yesterday, I put whole mussels from the freezer into the water. One burrowed into mud on bottom after one hour in water and he is still intact. The second mussel had to deal with a bristle worm which caused a chain reaction that triggered the invasion of the pods.

The fish think it is feeding time.
image.jpg
image.jpg

William Buchanan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the comments about frozen clams yesterday, I went to the freezer and pulled out a rock hard clam and stuck him in the sump. To my amazement he opened and I’m not sure if he is still alive or not. The baby mollies that live in the sump are extremely interested in it. They take turns swimming in and out of its “mouth”.
cd25ab33c48595cf0c2046b90dce472d.jpg

Not sure if it should look like this or not. It’s probably dead or dying.

William Buchanan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect to see a higher level of O2 when surface agitation is provided, this makes sense. I also have powerheads/wavemakers hooked up to my battery backup. I just want to make sure that this will be enough to keep my tank oxygenated during a power outage at night.

Keep up the experiments. Any data you can provide will be useful.

Where do airstones fall as far as oxygenating the water? Is it worthwhile to keep one running in your system all the time?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
After reading the comments about frozen clams yesterday, I went to the freezer and pulled out a rock hard clam and stuck him in the sump. To my amazement he opened and I’m not sure if he is still alive or not. The baby mollies that live in the sump are extremely interested in it. They take turns swimming in and out of its “mouth”.
cd25ab33c48595cf0c2046b90dce472d.jpg

Not sure if it should look like this or not. It’s probably dead or dying.

You will know for certain when the pods go to town on it. In my refugium scenario, the mussel was definitely alive and it’s foot used for digging pushed the bristle worm out. However, large amphipods covered mussel flesh and both shell halves were cleaned out. Two out of three mussels are alive in HOB acrylic refugium. Mussels were frozen for 5 days at 15 degrees.

In my 75G Jaubert Plenum display, the yellow tangs picked at mussels until it was gone and that is why I can’t keep ornamental clams in this tank.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and you do not appear to be the electronic computer, controller, tester, additive kind of guy (ghl p4)

That is true, I am not. I am a wood, steel, cement, mechanical, analog, bald kind of guy. :rolleyes:

I went to the freezer and pulled out a rock hard clam and stuck him in the sump. To my amazement he opened and I’m not sure if he is still alive or not.

Be assured it is dead and will stink like you wouldn't believe. :eek:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the movement of the surface done by the bubbles that´s the main oxygen contributor - not the bubbles itself.

Sincerely Lasse
I have just recieved 2 vortex/ water flow accelerators as described by the seller and will fit each one to my twin pump returns. Not cheap for what they are and quite a bit smaller (approximately 1" X 2")than others I have seen so I hope I notice an improvement in water agitation from them.
20190222_110813.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, but they are not built very well. If they were in a Harrier Jump Jet the thing would never get off the ground. :rolleyes:

I am not happy with the amount of bubbles being made in my skimmer. It's OK but I want more. I built this thing and the venturi so many years ago I can't even fathom a guess what year that was. The skimmer is almost 5' tall and needs a lot of air pressure to get down to the valve so I have a pump on it to help out. More air pressure does not help as it just makes big bubbles.

Now after all these years I think I can come up with a more efficient design for the valve. Just now I am involved in way to many things so it is on the back burner, way back. :cool:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, but they are not built very well. If they were in a Harrier Jump Jet the thing would never get off the ground. :rolleyes:

I am not happy with the amount of bubbles being made in my skimmer. It's OK but I want more. I built this thing and the venturi so many years ago I can't even fathom a guess what year that was. The skimmer is almost 5' tall and needs a lot of air pressure to get down to the valve so I have a pump on it to help out. More air pressure does not help as it just makes big bubbles.

Now after all these years I think I can come up with a more efficient design for the valve. Just now I am involved in way to many things so it is on the back burner, way back. :cool:
We have lots of propellers spinging up all over the place here in the UK Paul. I don't understand it as they will never take off[emoji848] the power to weight ratio is just not up to the job. Mind you the guys who design build them have ologies so what do we know.

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, just wanted to say I restocked my tank and havent ever been an advocate to the stress induced by quarentining. Though I do acclimate and introduce fish with the lights out. But 6 fish recently went into my tank all are fine. I feel this is a better way to ensure a healthy and resistant immune system in my critters.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it is. :rolleyes:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back