The Patio Reef Project

mr. lovestrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month ago I bought a 51"x 36"x 24" tank and I had literally no idea where I was going to put it. I thought about putting it in the living room but I felt like the 36" depth protruded into the room to much and putting it in the wall where it would look best, would have meant relocating a forced air unit, a gas line, some water lines, a water heater, and a support for our homes ridge beam. So I gave up on putting this tank in the living room.
So really my only other option was a wall on our partially covered back patio.

So I made a tape outline;
0507191735_HDR.jpg

And I think I am really liking the idea of the tank being higher than usual, base of tank would sit at 48"

These photos are the tank before it was recently taken down. Loving the dimensions!
2680.jpeg

2682.jpeg

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your outside climate like year round?

Good point.

Lots of factors to take into account. heaters and chillers to keep up with the temp fluctuations. Will it get direct or ambient light causing algae issues. Will you be worried about outside aerosol like bug spray, fertilizer, etc getting into the tank. Any punk kids in the neighborhood that would vandalize?will you enjoy it outside.

Try to think of the worst scenario that could happen to be sure you got it covered.

OP
OP
M

mr. lovestrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, are my pictures posting?

Good point.

Lots of factors to take into account. heaters and chillers to keep up with the temp fluctuations. Will it get direct or ambient light causing algae issues. Will you be worried about outside aerosol like bug spray, fertilizer, etc getting into the tank. Any punk kids in the neighborhood that would vandalize?will you enjoy it outside.

Try to think of the worst scenario that could happen to be sure you got it covered.

Definitely good points to consider, part of the extended plan for this house is to completely enclose the patio area and turn it into a sun room/ solarium.
The tank would back up to the middle of a west facing wall in a location that currently would let sunlight into the tank at approximately noon and is shaded again by 4 p.m.
I am planning to light the tank with led and power compacts and suppplement it with partial mid day sunlight. To the right of the viewing area I was going to elevate two 48" zoo-med low boy frag tanks and at the very end of this, a separate tank to act as a dedicated sunlit refugium that would not be shrouded by a wall and receive a full days worth of sunlight.

0507191735_HDR.jpg

2680.jpeg

2682.jpeg

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the school of chromis! Pictures work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back