The Police seized my Bounce mushroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how the police even knew about the package let alone how they determined it was a “suspicious” package? Think that would be on UPS’s end. Then why the police would keep it after they saw what it was. Whole situation seems strange. Good luck.

OP
OP
Tucker64

Tucker64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how the police even knew about the package let alone how they determined it was a “suspicious” package? Think that would be on UPS’s end. Then why the police would keep it after they saw what it was. Whole situation seems strange. Good luck.

Ya doesn't really seem legal does it? Seizing property without an explanation or a record of it. Either UPS or the police should pay for it. I don't blame the seller. No way he could have prepared for this.

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally get packages that have obviously been opened and gone through and shoved back in the box.

My Hydra rails.

A CONE-s C03 skimmer.

A Tunze osmolator.

A reciprocating saw.

A bucket of obviously tainted and moist HWMarin salt.

In every case i have contacted the seller about them selling me used goods at new prices...and in every case the seller has sworn they sent me a new item. This includes reputable companies like marine depot and BRS.

I am now fairly convinced that the feds are just randomly ripping open and searching peoples packages.

That might explain how it got illegally confiscated.

I would be half tempted to hire a 4th amendment attorney just on principle.

In my cases i cant prove they are conducting illegal search and seziures.

In your case they already admitted it.

There was no warrant, no probable cause and the original transaction was legal.

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's crazy! I wonder if the outside packaging said anything about "bounce mushroom" on it. The only thing I can think of is some non-reefer saw "mushroom" on an invoice and thought "that must be drugs!" But either way, if they've seized it, they're legally required to document it. I'd lean on them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya doesn't really seem legal does it? Seizing property without an explanation or a record of it. Either UPS or the police should pay for it. I don't blame the seller. No way he could have prepared for this.

Lol.

Google “civil asset forfeiture”.
They steal things from innocent citizens all the time. Usually cash though. This is an interesting one.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had anything seized from customs before? I was an idiot a got a package full of "muscle stuff" seized by customs last year and I feel my address is flagged. I had USPS divert a package of corals I bought from member in the spring for "suspicious" activity (never got the package RIP wallet and corals).

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will for sure. I'm going down there again tomorrow. I'll definitely be filing a complaint.
Filling a complaint with a police department is pretty much a waste of time. In situations like this a lawyer is always your best option if you are looking for a remedy. I understand a lawyer seems extreme but I do not see the police reimbursing you for anything they caused you to lose due to their mistakes (this would essentially be admission of guilt on their part).

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot the poor guy can do! Love em or hate em, the cops truly have all the cards in a situation like this. The damage to the shroom is probably done? I don't know much about how sensitive bounce corals are to sitting in baggies for length...

I made the mistake of yelling at a cop who pulled me over a long time ago when I was in high school. He flipped my license back at me and hit me in the lip; out of reaction I cursed at him and next thing I know he grabbed a huge chunk of my hair and tried to pull me out of the car with the window half rolled up while my seat belt was still on. The guy was so mad I could hear his teeth grinding; I thought he was going to pull my head off and peed myself a little. Scared the living crap out of me, I feel like he almost moved the actual car by pulling on my head. Once he calmed down he said something about getting me kicked out of school and told me to go home. I don't think iv'e been pulled over since! (21 years ago)

At least I didn't get a ticket :)

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a problem with them other than that one isolated incident as a teenager but I also live a boring life in the burbs so I rarely deal with them. :) I also drive like a duddly do right and almost never speed. I'm just trying to relay that there isn't much he can do to get his corals back as they hold all the cards. There could have been a mail seizure from previous tenants of his address or anything. I think they would have SOME type of reason to capture the package.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, drama aside; if it’s delivered by Friday I’m sure it’ll be alright...
It’s a rhodactis after all

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fight the power!!!!

My neighbor's the lawyer for our county sheriff. I'll ask her in the morning what recourse you may have.
Bounce shrooms are very resilient and can possibly last several days in the bag. dont give up yet

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my.....
You know they probably opened the bag to "see"
I would have followed the ups man to his next destination and got on the truck and grabbed it.

Sorry but stuff like this really makes me mad. Like really??

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand of how the mail system works because it falls under federal jurisdiction it is protected by the 4th amendment and the only way police can search your mail is with a warrant and it must be pretty specific in its terms. The only reason they would not need a warrant is if there was some reason to suspect it was posing a danger/immediate threat. If the box was leaking a "fluid" I guess they could see it as suspicious and seize it but I have received plenty wet/leaking packages because it would be pretty easy to determine a coral in a bag is not a threat, unless they blew it up ;).

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any seller making boxes and packing in the general vicinity of questionable items simply transfers the smell to your boxes, dogs pick it up on the distribution line/flagged

Hands, prep surfaces around home, stink vectors to your package. Seller may be on their own watch list having nothing to do with you as well.

social media post on pd fb is prudent or no?

Somehow your package got smell on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back