Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the UPS/Cop is a reefer? Lol
Lol.

Police be ridin' dirty with 3 mo frags confiscated from the local Akron coral club.

A notorious gang known only as "The reefers".

Ouch.....just the nane if that infamously scarey crew sends shivers down my spine.

Last month they pulled off a haul of 3 combo number 1s at the local Mcdonalds and got it in just as the lunch menu was turned on...within 60 srconds no less.

They are not to be triffiled with....

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the Akron Police Department know there is a mushroom in a UPS package?
This is the question I asked myself. I work as a driver for the other delivery company. There is never any police involvement here. I have smelled some illegal substance coming from a box before. I delivered it. I should have turned it into my manager, but like the mushroom in question the customer wanted thier package. (And im not a narc) In any case, next time dont use Brown. I dont know thier policies, but unless the package is damaged we dont open them. Just my $.02.

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a lot of paralegal work for a constitutional attorney in Texas. We actually won a 4th amendment case last year and have an appeal in the 5th circuit COA pending on an other case. I have some questions as to the Possable warrant. The property was not in your possession. You don’t need to be served the warrant. Was UPS? What stops UPS from handing over the package if there was no warrant? If the shipper agrees to having packages searched (the fine print they sign off on) do they have the authority to allow cesurae without a warrant?

Also, I doubt the package said mushroom on it at all. Maybe on the packing slip IN the box.

oMGreef60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok maybe they thought it was the “mushroom” that make people head bounce lol

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the question I asked myself. I work as a driver for the other delivery company. There is never any police involvement here. I have smelled some illegal substance coming from a box before. I delivered it. I should have turned it into my manager, but like the mushroom in question the customer wanted thier package. (And im not a narc) In any case, next time dont use Brown. I dont know thier policies, but unless the package is damaged we dont open them. Just my $.02.

I would think the vendor that shipped would also want a explanation for this seizure.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crazy! Can’t wait to see the outcome!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a lot of paralegal work for a constitutional attorney in Texas. We actually won a 4th amendment case last year and have an appeal in the 5th circuit COA pending on an other case. I have some questions as to the Possable warrant. The property was not in your possession. You don’t need to be served the warrant. Was UPS? What stops UPS from handing over the package if there was no warrant? If the shipper agrees to having packages searched (the fine print they sign off on) do they have the authority to allow cesurae without a warrant?

Also, I doubt the package said mushroom on it at all. Maybe on the packing slip IN the box.

How does that play in if there is consent to get the package searched and the buyer views the package as used since it has been opened with possible contents now missing?

Does that translate into the following:

Buyer consents to search, but buyer expects new.-----> Buyer receives what appears to be used ---->>> Buyer complains to pay pal and gets refund ------>>>> Buyer gives seller bad feedback ---------->>>> Seller ends up looking really bad and buyer feels jipped all because they had unknowingly received inspected packages which neither were aware had been searched. And there are times when parts really are missing.

Is that actually how the mail is supposed to work though?

I don't recall signing anything with my post office or UPS agreeing to the terms of "we may DAMAGE OR LOSE items and we will destroy packaging and you have consented that this prized item you spent money on may be ruined and you are okay with that"..

Nope, don't remember that clause at all......... so is that what we REALLY agreed to.....

What is really going on here??

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, this sucks! You no doubt paid a lot of money for this coral!

I've got to say though, I'm disappointed in all the lawyer talk and negativity towards law enforement. The package was flagged and seized. We don't know yet why. The fact that no answers are given is frustrating but I'm okay with law enforcement not showing their hand. There are likely thousands of illegal items shipped daily. Any law enforcement agency absolutely should seize and search ANY package they feel may be dangerous.

If any of us were not in this hobby we would not know what we are looking at if we were the ones to open that box. This pitchfork, torches, and GET EM mentality toward police is old. They're lives are literally in danger every shift!

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this ever happens to me I might go to jail cause I'd act a fool if they confiscated my fruit loops and the cops would look at me crazy yelling at them that I want my fruit loops now definitely would end up in a nut house.
They are currently after me Lucky Charms.

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've got to say though, I'm disappointed in all the lawyer talk and negativity towards law enforement. The package was flagged and seized. We don't know yet why. The fact that no answers are given is frustrating but I'm okay with law enforcement not showing their hand. There are likely thousands of illegal items shipped daily. Any law enforcement agency absolutely should seize and search ANY package they feel may be dangerous.

If any of us were not in this hobby we would not know what we are looking at if we were the ones to open that box. This pitchfork, torches, and GET EM mentality toward police is old. They're lives are literally in danger every shift!
I couldn’t agree more. It is never a bad idea however to preserve your own rights. What we know is that the cops intercepted a package. We don’t know why. We don’t know if there was a warrant.

The OP should peacefully do what he can to get the package and have proof of the order in his hand when asking. File a claim. Be available to Law enforcement.

OP
OP
Tucker64

Tucker64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Finally got ahold of Akron's Drug Taskforce. When I told her what happened she kept saying "well they wouldn't seize a package unless there was a reason." I said great tell me the reason. She still did not really know who had it or anything like that. I told her that it was an expensive animal and it would most likely die soon if nothing was done. Then she took down my name, address and phone number. She is suppose to call me back in a little bit about she does some digging.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My issue with them would be that this is livestock, and I am sure would be marked 'live fish' or something like that. They should be able to recognize the time-sensitivity of the issue, and at the very least be able to provide some grounds for why it was confiscated and a timeline for return. I would call the media and get them involved if you do not get answers.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call. There’s myriad reasons to not become oppositional to a large city’s drug task force as a member of the public thats a jacked up situation man. Makes me rethink the 15 or so opened packages I’ve received too. Had figured it was extremely poor shipping where the right squeeze put all necessary force only on sealing tape and the box was pre opened exactly as I was about to open it solely off random chance, it was a head scratcher.

Last edited:

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess it didn’t come across in my post for obvious reasons, but I’m a fairly pro law enforcement guy. That is why I get upset when law enforcement forgets the customer service side of the job. When law treats regular folks like suspects it undermines respect for the law over time.

OP bought a coral. If there’s a problem, OP should get prompt information and help and to the extent possible the fact the package is time sensitive should be accommodated.

That doesn’t seem to be happening and that’s worse for the cops in the long term than even for the shipper or OP. Getting these exchanges right really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back