The real Black Box light study

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 150w Spider Farmer grow LED light on one of my sumps. I'll take some PAR measurements when I get a chance and post them.

D.train

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from here : https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...alleryofferlist.normalList.289.8b427d08P4vlZS
The lights were 259$ea
controller is 100$
Total was like 650 with shipping. They were not cheap at all but the stats are on the same or better equivalency to some of the big boy light that cost double the price.
We will see when we test them as well as all the other lights.

650 dollars for one light and a controller?
I thought you have to be a business to buy through Alibaba.com

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from here : https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...alleryofferlist.normalList.289.8b427d08P4vlZS
The lights were 259$ea
controller is 100$
Total was like 650 with shipping. They were not cheap at all but the stats are on the same or better equivalency to some of the big boy light that cost double the price.
We will see when we test them as well as all the other lights.

650 dollars for one light and a controller?
I thought you have to be a business to buy through Alibaba.com
2 lights and maybe you do but I do not own a business. I just told them I was looking for light for a study and they told me a price.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to find the third light you listed, the little round kessil-looking one. Couldn't find it on ebay at all. That one looks really interesting too..

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have the "Spider Farmer" 300W dimmable LED grow light.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spider-Far...or-Plant-Full-Spectrum-VEG-Bloom/123312490181

My light is mounted 12" above the sump waterline, and the water in the sump is 12" deep. Testing was performed at the bottom of the sump (center) and just below the water line with the eye of the probe covered by a thin layer of water (center). All tests performed with an Apogee MQ-200

The unit is dimmable, so, test is at fully dimmed to lowest setting, and then to maximum power.
Dimmed: surface - 188 bottom 85
Full Power: surface - 990 bottom 433

I was too quick with the tests for my apex to pick up full power (still getting the new chaeto used to the lights) but at minimum power it pulls 18W.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who's been running MarsAquas above his tank since inception, I'm pretty interested in following along!

I can say that MarsAqua has changed the composition of their lights between three years ago and last year at about this time, as the second unit that I purchased to go with my upgrade from a 65 gallon to 220 gallons has a different color layout and appearance from the older unit.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little weather delay so maybe I can get out and go down to the shop tomorrow
snow.jpg
snow2.jpg

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who's been running MarsAquas above his tank since inception, I'm pretty interested in following along!

I can say that MarsAqua has changed the composition of their lights between three years ago and last year at about this time, as the second unit that I purchased to go with my upgrade from a 65 gallon to 220 gallons has a different color layout and appearance from the older unit.

~Bruce
I bet MarsAqua has made some good advances since their inception due to just wanting to stay with everyone else. That is great thing to see as maybe one day high priced lights will be a thing of the past.

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if anyone has done any research on the Dsuny LED fixtures but I've been using them for almost a year and with great success.

I have 4 of them over my 120 Tall Marineland.

Here are the settings and PAR results:

Channel 1: Whites Back
Channel 2: Actinics
Channel 3: Blues + Red
Channel 4: Whites Front

Light mounting height (distance from light panel to water surface) : 13 Inches

Aquarium Specifications (lengthxdepthxheight):
60inch x 18inch x 26inch

Note:
-Back of tank is painted black
-Aquarium features a coast to coast low profile overflow
-Water clearity should be optimal (100% water change performed within 48 hours)

Peak Light Output On Slow Acclimation Setting:

Settings:
Ch1: 77%
Ch2: 100%
Ch3: 80%
Ch4: 77%

READING AVERAGE

Top of water: 600
Halfway: 300
Sandbed: 200

Manual Setting 50% All

Settings:
Ch1: 50%
Ch2: 50%
Ch3: 50%
Ch4: 50%

Top of water: 350
Halfway: 250
Sandbed: 150

71ZhkLmFf5L._SX425_.jpg

IMG_20181128_230817_692.jpg

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*****Update*****
Here is the new framing going up around the vats, the frag tanks will sit on the very top of the structure.
Testing should be able to begin end of the week as we get tanks drilled and plumbed for the maiden voyage.
Will be receiving a Kessil 360x from @noopsyche to compare side by side with all of the lights we have received.
Setting up the 24x24 cube so we can get par numbers from all lights before long term study.
growout.jpg
growout2.jpg

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you painting the back wall of the cube black? Just to be a little bit more representative of the typical application. Unpainted glass is highly reflective.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you painting the back wall of the cube black? Just to be a little bit more representative of the typical application. Unpainted glass is highly reflective.
Yes the cube back will be painted or covered black and trying to figure out a grid for the bottom as to get equal tests for each light. Thinking of using some black pvc as depth risers as to ensure testing depth per section will be consistent.

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the cube back will be painted or covered black and trying to figure out a grid for the bottom as to get equal tests for each light. Thinking of using some black pvc as depth risers as to ensure testing depth per section will be consistent.

A 48X24 tank would have been more consitent as some of these lights are mean to cover more than 24 inches and it would allow you have have extra data points concerning spread. The guys at BRS use a grid. I think a grid made of acrylic would do the job well.

something like
SB-Grid-200x200.jpg

YOu could probably get a large piece of plexi cut it down to the tanks dimensions, route a grid on to it with a router going a few millimeters into the surface. Sick some rare earth magnets on the intersections you want to sample and have a magnet on the probe that stick to that magnet. The magnets would help with alignment and keep the positions consistent. YOu could also buy four acrylic rulers to set at each corner to set the different heights with out the worry for a level since all corners should be at the same measurement. An acrylic rod with magnets on both sides held by magnets on the outside of the tank could be used to hold the height.

Unless you are going to go with static points of measurements. I think the guys over at BRS TV have a rig they use, maybe it's worth shooting them an email see if you can get your hands on it or plans to make one. They use a 24x24 cube except when they are measuring lights meant to be wider than that.

Back