The real Black Box light study

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seneye with version 2 of the software is is maybe 5% off the mark on a 500$ Apogee 520. You are correct as to the assertion that if off, at-least it will read off for all. Not to mention the seneye lets me see the spectrum chart at each par level and for what we are doing that is key.
LOL took me 6 hours to make a wand that should have taken 30 min lol
Ahahaha well that's the way DIY is. The smell of unforseen trouble is in the air with certainty.

Which Seneye are you using? I want to dissect one. I might look into picking one up!

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received a light from @noopsyche and I took some preliminary pics of it. He is sending the controller so it should be here soon.
My first impressions are that the light looks very well made with an all metal body and packaged very well...
noopsyche1.jpg

It has a some weight to it to be so small...
noopsyche2.jpg
noopsyche3.jpg
noopsyche4.jpg
noopsyche5.jpg
noopsyche6.jpg

We will put it through it's paces in this study as it should be a good test.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I received a light from @noopsyche and I took some preliminary pics of it. He is sending the controller so it should be here soon.
My first impressions are that the light looks very well made with an all metal body and packaged very well...
noopsyche1.jpg

noopsyche2.jpg
noopsyche3.jpg
noopsyche4.jpg
noopsyche5.jpg
noopsyche6.jpg

We have confidence that the test will have a good result.

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you cut that light diffuser panel? I found it to be very brittle and almost impossible to cut in a straight line.
You don't, you score it in the smooth side with a sharp blade or an actual scoring tool, then you lay the part on the edge of a flat surface and snap it. You don't use power tools to cut the stuff. Cut ut the same way you would cut thin sheet plexiglass.

Last edited:

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noopsyche1.jpg

noopsyche2.jpg
noopsyche3.jpg
noopsyche4.jpg
noopsyche5.jpg
noopsyche6.jpg

This lights looks really interesting.

Waiting for the results.

U

User1

View Badges
With regards to the Seneye - get some help if that is the tool you are going to use to take measurements. It isn't a bad unit but a bit cumbersome to use on your own while taking snapshots. It had a top, middle, and bottom button already and when clicked has a timer which counts down from 5. It would be nice if that was adjustable. It would also be nice if the free form option had a bigger take measurement button :( In fact, I wish it had a record feature rather than snapshot.

Anyway it is a nice tool to maybe help tune in custom lights if one knows what to flip for a more proper setting. I recently picked up one and have been toying with it here and there. I'm seeing anywhere from 540 par at the top with 170 at the bottom. Middle is ranging from 330 to as low as 70 in the center where I have no lights (working on that at the moment). So it does take good measurements but I believe another person to click measurement with text would make it 10x easier.

This reading here below is 330 par left side of my tank middle with chips running at 80%. I'm going to assume the front think black line in bold is how the Seneye unit seems my lights and is overlaying or comparing it to something else. Not sure if I'm supposed to say oh - need to change this or wow, not so bad after all. If left side of graph purple 400 to 550 is good and the red readings of 600+ is bad :) Anyway it is a good tool. I saw some comments here so wanted to suggest help :)
upload_2018-12-7_12-52-55.png

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regards to the Seneye - get some help if that is the tool you are going to use to take measurements. It isn't a bad unit but a bit cumbersome to use on your own while taking snapshots. It had a top, middle, and bottom button already and when clicked has a timer which counts down from 5. It would be nice if that was adjustable. It would also be nice if the free form option had a bigger take measurement button :( In fact, I wish it had a record feature rather than snapshot.

Anyway it is a nice tool to maybe help tune in custom lights if one knows what to flip for a more proper setting. I recently picked up one and have been toying with it here and there. I'm seeing anywhere from 540 par at the top with 170 at the bottom. Middle is ranging from 330 to as low as 70 in the center where I have no lights (working on that at the moment). So it does take good measurements but I believe another person to click measurement with text would make it 10x easier.

This reading here below is 330 par left side of my tank middle with chips running at 80%. I'm going to assume the front think black line in bold is how the Seneye unit seems my lights and is overlaying or comparing it to something else. Not sure if I'm supposed to say oh - need to change this or wow, not so bad after all. If left side of graph purple 400 to 550 is good and the red readings of 600+ is bad :) Anyway it is a good tool. I saw some comments here so wanted to suggest help :)
upload_2018-12-7_12-52-55.png
I agree with your assessment so I will have 3 people
1st person holding the meter;Stig
2nd person to use the pc and click the correct buttons;Droid
3rd to go get plenty of coffee/tea and snacks to keep the other 2 going;Oldman;Nurse;Yawn

U

User1

View Badges
I agree with your assessment so I will have 3 people
1st person holding the meter;Stig
2nd person to use the pc and click the correct buttons;Droid
3rd to go get plenty of coffee/tea and snacks to keep the other 2 going;Oldman;Nurse;Yawn

That is a good plan :D Again, I can't say enough but the product just with the little use I've had with it so far. Once I make a better holder and wait for my daughter to help me (she offered, I was just impatient) I think I'll have better measurements.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good plan :D Again, I can't say enough but the product just with the little use I've had with it so far. Once I make a better holder and wait for my daughter to help me (she offered, I was just impatient) I think I'll have better measurements.

I have severe Tourette Syndrome, so anything that requires being steady is not going to happen but, I make due just fine. I really am excited to do this wonderful study.

How much money was the lumini aqua system pixie 150?
I ordered from here : https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...alleryofferlist.normalList.289.8b427d08P4vlZS
The lights were 259$ea
controller is 100$
Total was like 650 with shipping. They were not cheap at all but the stats are on the same or better equivalency to some of the big boy light that cost double the price.
We will see when we test them as well as all the other lights.

I would like to add,
we have a Kessil 360x coming next week that was funded by @noopsyche to test against his light (K7ii pro) and all the other lights in the study.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back