The real Black Box light study

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the older style Apogee 200 but I don't know the corrections for led and this sale they have is pretty good (169$ vs 199$), so I will just pick one up from the good guys at BRS. I talked with Matt today down at TCR and he said we will begin work on the vats around the Dec. 1st. He ordered the tanks for the systems so they should be here this week.
I am so stoked for this but I am a little nervous as I want it to go as smooth as possible.

Since @Dr. Reef has home editions, you can use those, and pay $60 to upgrade them to Reef ones. Would be cheaper than buying new Reef for $170 (on sale)

https://www.seneye.com/store/light-meter-update.html

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to run this by Seneye as these units were a gift and have slight manufacturers defect on color of led (instead of Red they are Green). Probably won't work. Not ethical I think.
I am in Oklahoma and TN is not far to drive I can come over and help you setup everything and also contribute towards the meter.

Last edited:

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to run this by Seneye as these units were a gift and have slight manufacturers defect on color of led (instead of Red they are Green). Probably won't work. Not ethical I think.
I am in Oklahoma and TN is not far to drive I can come over and help you setup everything and also contribute towards the meter.

Thats fair enough, and valid point. I wasnt sure how this all worked, so just threw an idea out there in case it could be done.

Perhaps one of the sponsors would be interested in helping out somehow with PAR meter for this test? Was going to tag few, but not sure if that is frowned upon or not.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you should run this by Seneye or maybe they would like to donate a reef meter to the study as we would use their meter as the primary test for par and spectrum.
We are in far eastern Tn. about 600 miles at least from Oklahoma.
I would love to have you come up tho, as East Tennessee is a beautiful part of the country.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all my bacteria from 7 manufacturers and many other items from sponsors here by simply asking to assist in my study. 8 out of 10 companies i contacted gave me free samples. With exception of Fluval that simply rejected and wouldnt even let me buy a fresh bottle directly from them while ATM colony never ever responded back.
If the forum pickup up a little more momentum i think we should be able to get someone to help.

I wouldnt mind, I will let you know soon once we have everything worked out, Would love to visit and help.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats fair enough, and valid point. I wasnt sure how this all worked, so just threw an idea out there in case it could be done.

Perhaps one of the sponsors would be interested in helping out somehow with PAR meter for this test? Was going to tag few, but not sure if that is frowned upon or not.
That would be awesome but as I said, if I have to buy stuff then okay as I really want this to be a good study.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a set of lights coming in from Hong Kong today and will take pics of them. I plan on using them here at my house on a new 80g build, so they will be a real long term test.
As of now we have
2x Viparspectra 165 watt
2x Mars Aqua 165
2x Shenzhen Houyi Lighting Co. 177 watt cobb
2x Aquarium System solution 70 watt cobb pendant

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got another set of lights to try from China and these things are pretty sweet, but a little pricey. The lights require a wifi controller
to be able to control all aspects of the light but the controller I received did not work. I contacted the seller and was sent out a new one at no charge but,
it will take about 4 days to get here. I did turn on the lights to see if they work and boy do they ever as I made the mistake of plugging them in while looking at the lens;Blackeye
pixie150.jpg

Packaged very well with shrink wrap and plenty of foam
pixie150b.jpg

They are built very very well will solid metal case. I want to say mostly aluminium with really dense heat-sink over the whole back.
pixie150c.jpg

32 x Cool White 3W Bridgelux LEDs
40 x Blue 3W SemiLEDs
28 x Royal Blue 3W SemiLEDs
4 x Red 3W Epistar LEDs
4 x UV LEDs run at 3W Edison
4 x Green LEDs run at 3W Edison
8 x light purple LEDs
Total: 120pcs
pixie150f.jpg

pixie150d.jpg

Yea these thing are made really well you can see my fat hand for size comparison
Length:12.2 inches/30.9cm
Width: 5.51 inches/14.0 cm
Height: 1.10 inches/2.8 cm
pixie150e.jpg

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order for 3 of the big dollar lights for use in our special head to head tests sponsored by @noopsyche . I want everyone that watches this study please give noobsyche a warm respect for their generosity in helping this cool study. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/noopsyche-k7-pro-ii-95w.506365/
I will be receiving the Noopsyche k7II pro from them to test against the following
namebrand.png

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for everyone, some of the lights many of us have seen reviews on but some of the really oddball lights, like the Lumini,Aquarium Systems Solutions, and a couple more have very little information.
I believe these lights need a full proper review before the main study happens as to give a good baseline of what we are working with.
Do you want me to post each lights pre-review study of those lights here or make a new topic for each light? Remember this is to go before the real study begins.
Please give me some input as to what you want.

Thanks,
Matt

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had three CBB s over my 90g .and the results were great ...I have recently upgraded too 3 x second hand kessils A360 we's ..I'm curious just how much beter they are ...

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for everyone, some of the lights many of us have seen reviews on but some of the really oddball lights, like the Lumini,Aquarium Systems Solutions, and a couple more have very little information.
I believe these lights need a full proper review before the main study happens as to give a good baseline of what we are working with.
Do you want me to post each lights pre-review study of those lights here or make a new topic for each light? Remember this is to go before the real study begins.

Thanks,
Matt

I heard good things about the lumini ..I believe they are an Australian brand ...I'd like too see a review on them first as well

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
Matt

I would definitely like some more info and pre-preview of the not so well known lights you have. I would say just put them all in here. That way they are all in one place, and it would be easier to compare and see what is what.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely like some more info and pre-preview of the not so well known lights you have. I would say just put them all in here. That way they are all in one place, and it would be easier to compare and see what is what.

I will do that and keep all info here so we will have reviews of individual lights and the main study here also. Thank you guys for your input ;)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.8%
Back