The real Black Box light study

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find them? I would like to see the information on them.

Thanks!
I just dug through this :
https://translate.google.com/transl.../minimini/archives/1062439923.html&edit-text=

Beppin lens is different from selling at home center. Thickness is 3 mm Diamond surface is large and there is transparency.
I am still in the test but I think that it will be 3980 yen per piece when selling it. Material cost, processing cost and magnets are expensive. Even with Light Diffuser of Radion, it will cost as much as one (^ ∧ ^)
We will distribute usage explanation etc. to Beppin Coral users by the official account LINE @. For the prevention of trouble, we are refusing except Beppin Coral users.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a 4' Chinese LED for about 5 yrs now.
I am very impressed with the uhit..it has no fans ( so no noise ) it has 24 seperate settings and runs 3 channels.
The unit is great..the admin is awful. Good luck trying to get any sort of help if something goes wrong.
Reasonably cheap ( cost me about £250.00 incl taxes ).

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not updating , but I was out of town organizing what kind of setup we will use for the study. We took pics of the area the coral study will be conducted in but have not gotten them yet.
Plan on ordering a cube of some type, like a 24x24x24 just for initial par numbers.
Like I said, this will be a long process and we will benefit from the results.
Meanwhile I did pickup a light to test for those that have small nano tanks. Will test this on a 20gal IM rimless AIO tank.
pixie30.jpg
pixie30-2.jpg
pixie30-3.jpg
pixie30-4.jpg
pixie30-5.jpg

Will do this light separately from the others as it is just a 30 watt light.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have done some similar experiments only with different lights. As some have suggested, (as to not be a parrot) mother colonies etc and same wayer parameters. Now from a science point of view, Having two tanks with exact parameters honestly doesn’t happen. They are similar and close but that’s like comparing apples to oranges. They are both good but different, both fruit you get the idea.

So may I share what we did in our lab experiment, we used a little larger tank. We for example put a radion on the left and a hydra 5200 on the right. Same tank, same parameters then when we purchased coral, we but two of each from the same mother colony. We also placed them at the exact same location (mirror effect) of each other.

We then did weekly photos of each coral for 6 months actually it was 12 months but a semester is only 6 months. You get the idea. Then (we used 125 most of the time), some 90s etc, but we also threw in no name brands, or less common name brands.

Since this was a lab experiment, we found the critical angel for every light, which was different based on lens. We also used a ly-cor 1500 par meter, and then also tested against one from apogee. Now the fact this was at my undergraduate school, they had a bigger budget. With budget in mind, maybe check with some universities in your area. Where I attended the school either bought the items needed, or people donated tanks etc, and the local aquarium was very helpful.

This may give you more consistent numbers and results. In doing this one wants to elimate as many what if(s) as possible. We did not that most of the leds were not that far from being different, other than bells and whistles. There are only sooo many led manufacturers out there and most companies source from them anyway.

I’d love to follow along and see how your experiment goes and the results that follow.

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have done some similar experiments only with different lights. As some have suggested, (as to not be a parrot) mother colonies etc and same wayer parameters. Now from a science point of view, Having two tanks with exact parameters honestly doesn’t happen. They are similar and close but that’s like comparing apples to oranges. They are both good but different, both fruit you get the idea.

So may I share what we did in our lab experiment, we used a little larger tank. We for example put a radion on the left and a hydra 5200 on the right. Same tank, same parameters then when we purchased coral, we but two of each from the same mother colony. We also placed them at the exact same location (mirror effect) of each other.

We then did weekly photos of each coral for 6 months actually it was 12 months but a semester is only 6 months. You get the idea. Then (we used 125 most of the time), some 90s etc, but we also threw in no name brands, or less common name brands.

Since this was a lab experiment, we found the critical angel for every light, which was different based on lens. We also used a ly-cor 1500 par meter, and then also tested against one from apogee. Now the fact this was at my undergraduate school, they had a bigger budget. With budget in mind, maybe check with some universities in your area. Where I attended the school either bought the items needed, or people donated tanks etc, and the local aquarium was very helpful.

This may give you more consistent numbers and results. In doing this one wants to elimate as many what if(s) as possible. We did not that most of the leds were not that far from being different, other than bells and whistles. There are only sooo many led manufacturers out there and most companies source from them anyway.

I’d love to follow along and see how your experiment goes and the results that follow.

Maybe, making all the tanks part of the same system helps with making the water chemistry equal for all.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Here is the plan.....
We have 2 8 foot coral raceways that are being bleached and reset up that will have t5 lights on one and 2x 300 watt mars aqua on the other. On top of the raceways we have some scaffolding being built to hold 4 zoomed lowboy frags tanks (2 over each 8 ft vat) The water drain from the frag tanks will drain into a vat that has nothing but chaeto then the water will go into the main 100g rubbermaid vat with nothing but new clean rock.
The 4 48in frag tanks will be lit using our test lights over shared water among all aquariums.
This is all being setup and provided to us from Matthew @The Coral Reef and @Sustainable Aquatics.
As you can see the study should get more involved as we go.
I will get you guys some pics as soon as I can, I am not well so have had to sleep in today.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back