The real Black Box light study

U

User1

View Badges
If it hasn't been mentioned or suggested already spectrum should be considered. Also when measuring par consider going as deep as 30 to 36".

There are a lot of options out there with regards to off the shelf but DIY usually still comes under cost even when compared to knock offs while allowing spectrum customization. I really think par, spectrum, and spread will help most people. It isn't just a par number at the end of the day that matters.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose the SB reeflights to light my tank because they are supposed to have the best spectrum of all the CBB.

I'm still cycling so I can't comment on growth etc.

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo.php
I have been running Mars Aqas on my 122 gallon reef for 5 years coming up at the end of December. I run my lights 12" from the water's surface. My sps have awesome growth and in the pics the 2 acros are only 1.5 years old, grown from 1" frags.

photo.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo.php
I have been running Mars Aqas on my 122 gallon reef for 5 years coming up at the end of December. I run my lights 12" from the water's surface. My sps have awesome growth and in the pics the 2 acros are only 1.5 years old, grown from 1" frags.

photo.php
Very nice!! That is just more proof that BB lights work and work well. I have no doubt about them and what we will be seeing in this study is what BB performs better over certain parameters.

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i shop at the coral reef often. love going in there. excited to see a light study happening at my favorite store. Thanks!

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo.php

photo.php
What ratios do you run your white and blue channels?

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i shop at the coral reef often. love going in there. excited to see a light study happening at my favorite store. Thanks!
Yes, Matthew has done some amazing work to help me get this study going and will be awesome to come by and see these tanks when finished.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much for doing this. Following along

If you could add Bloomspect 165W LED unit, it would be great, They are 95% same as Viparspectra unit, but have 2 UV lights, and their red LEDs are in a bit of a different location. I actually have one sitting around here (brand new). Could ship it out to you (if shipping doesnt cost arm and a leg) for this test if you want.

Few others that I can think of that are quite popular:

Mars Aqua
Ocean Revive T247
Aquasanrise A-029 (few other names like Sunsun)

Here is a pic of my 56G cube under Mars Aqua I have gotten tremendous growth in everything I have yet to see a downside to this “black box”
604D7EC5-2341-4143-897A-18B8AAF8A545.jpeg

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I am proud to announce that we have a platinum sponsor here on R2R helping us with this study!!!
@noopsyche is a new platinum sponsor here at Reef2Reef and took interest in our study from day one. (thanks to member @cvrle1 for pitching the idea to them)
They not only want to send us their manufacturers lights for study but, to make things interesting, they want to send us a kessil A360, AI26, and Ecotech Radion XR15WPro to compare along side.
We need to be grateful in that we have such an awesome place here at R2R to get such valuable information in one place, so please visit and support these sponsors willing to help us.
@noopsyche has a sub forum you can visit here https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/noopsyche.1066/
Please visit and show your love to Matt at The Coal Reef for supplying the space,tanks and systems we need to make this happen- https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/the-coral-reef.828/

Things have now gotten way more interesting in what we can learn from this undertaking.

Last edited:

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is amazing news! Thanks so much @noopsyche Now looking forward even more to this study (if that was even possible) as those K7s look really interesting to me.

And as usual, thanks to Matt at The Coal Reef and of course to @Manose for organizing this in the 1st place.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of work still to go as I still have to get with @Dr. Reef to work out more plans. I really want to see how those K7s perform.
Going to see about getting a Seneye for the study as that would come in useful.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 5 seneye units that were generously gifted by the company for my bacteria/ammonia study but unfortunately they are home edition with no PAR meter on them. I do have the older style apogee meter which is good enough to have basic idea.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 5 seneye units that were generously gifted by the company for my bacteria/ammonia study but unfortunately they are home edition with no PAR meter on them. I do have the older style apogee meter which is good enough to have basic idea.
I have the older style Apogee 200 but I don't know the corrections for led and this sale they have is pretty good (169$ vs 199$), so I will just pick one up from the good guys at BRS. I talked with Matt today down at TCR and he said we will begin work on the vats around the Dec. 1st. He ordered the tanks for the systems so they should be here this week.
I am so stoked for this but I am a little nervous as I want it to go as smooth as possible.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back