The real Black Box light study

Diggem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the lightimetunnel 165 wifi can you try add this one or has any one herd anything good on it

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the lightimetunnel 165 wifi can you try add this one or has any one herd anything good on it
Some lights are going to take time to do a study on because of the many lights people want tested, and the various tests that are needed. Once we have enough lights in the study and enough hands to help then we can narrow out certain lights.
This is going to be a very long study and very demanding as many lights need to be tested.

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, really interested, I started out with 2 of the Black Mars Aqua style boxes, and though they were just fine, when I upgrade I wasn't ready to go 'pricey' for lights, so I shopped around alot and found these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332396313414?ul_noapp=true
They seem to be on the high end, but unlike most Chinese lights this place actually has a storefront, contact info and customer service that actually responds! I've worked with them several times, even haggled on pricing and they made me a deal, I had a friend come over and Par them out when I just had 3x54cm panels, and found the par to be a little too low for SPS, I've purchased 3x more and will include my results. I know you're doing much more accountable documentation. But if you wanted another vendor contact them, maybe they'd send you a small sample. I'll provide my own results for anyone that's interested as well. Good luck with the study! Just think after this you could also do one on Chinese refugium lights!

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, really interested, I started out with 2 of the Black Mars Aqua style boxes, and though they were just fine, when I upgrade I wasn't ready to go 'pricey' for lights, so I shopped around alot and found these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332396313414?ul_noapp=true
They seem to be on the high end, but unlike most Chinese lights this place actually has a storefront, contact info and customer service that actually responds! I've worked with them several times, even haggled on pricing and they made me a deal, I had a friend come over and Par them out when I just had 3x54cm panels, and found the par to be a little too low for SPS, I've purchased 3x more and will include my results. I know you're doing much more accountable documentation. But if you wanted another vendor contact them, maybe they'd send you a small sample. I'll provide my own results for anyone that's interested as well. Good luck with the study! Just think after this you could also do one on Chinese refugium lights!
Yes please share your results with us. Many of the Chinese "higher end" black boxes are store fronts like Aquarium Systems Solutions= http://www.asaquarium.com/ and Lumini= http://www.luminiaqua.com/index.php
Remember not all "Black Boxes" are the same :)

jakedoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jakedoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using them for over 2 years over my 180 with no issues with the exception of failure due to moisture getting inside because I mounted them inside the canopy. I have since ordered new ones and relocated them on top as you can see in the photos. I have also wired them into my Apex controller so it can control both channels automatically, or to my programming.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=V1JqdHVpYzFRak1uSEMtM2NiNjZJeDlfMnFaY0NB

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following along on this, helping my dad with a tank build and it will be a tight budget. Interested in which light perform. If you decide to allow some donations for financial support and help I would be happy to pitch in to see where this goes.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting study....following>>>

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Viparspectra 165w and now the 300w and got good results.
195E01F9-F9B6-4F2E-8C27-80FF44BD4ACE.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back