The Show "Tanked", I just cant ....

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't watched the show in quite a long time. Just got too redundant for me.

I need to watch the show again and pay attention to how they set up the filtration. I don't recall seeing them ever put live rock in a system which would be the traditional way to skip cycle. They could do the same thing with their bacteria product, but what media is the bacteria growing in?

All that plastic! Imagine a trigger taking a hunk out thinking it's a delicious snack!

No. Tank. You.

twobytwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss when they would do 2 tanks/show... a lot more tank building and less goofing around.

Oh, and EVERY show, they almost drop the tank off the forklift. Is that like atheme for them?

And yes... Agnes... :cool:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an TV show I am sure they are doing what the production company wants them to do...

This is it exactly, at least in my opinion. The entire point of the show (any show for that matter) is to sell advertising for the network.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I thought about starting a saltwater tank for some time, the seed was planted once again after watching an episode of Tanked about 2 years ago. I spent 3-4 months reading and researching before I started up my tank. My tank was one year old this past August and I'm happy to say that all my fish and coral are healthy and happy....knock on wood.
I enjoy the show for what it is. If they were to get down to the nitty gritty of this hobby it would bore a lot of the viewers, need the drama for entertainment.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miss Salwater on the other hand is legit. Did anyone see the video about her personal struggles? Look for
" why do I speak so slow" Inspiring.

She works very hard to make very professional videos. People are horrible and insensitive (especially on the internet), it's kinda sad that she had to make that video. But it is a VERY inspiring video that shows that in spite of what cards we are dealt, that we all can work hard to accomplish things that are important too us, even when every step of the journey may be a struggle :). There are more lessons than just reef stuff in her videos too ;)

I think it's very cool she comes to visit us on Reef2Reef too!

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She works very hard to make very professional videos. People are horrible and insensitive (especially on the internet), it's kinda sad that she had to make that video. But it is a VERY inspiring video that shows that in spite of what cards we are dealt, that we all can work hard to accomplish things that are important too us, even when every step of the journey may be a struggle :). There are more lessons than just reef stuff in her videos too ;)

I think it's very cool she comes to visit us on Reef2Reef too!

I remember seeing her have a tank crash and its like they wanted to lead her to the gallows.

Such a shame, she's super smart and has earned my respect. Wish some of these jack wagons would move out of their parents house and get a real life.

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing her have a tank crash and its like they wanted to lead her to the gallows.

Such a shame, she's super smart and has earned my respect. Wish some of these jack wagons would move out of their parents house and get a real life.

but then who would do their laundry? lol

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch it strictly for the 5 minutes when they go and pick out the fish. The staged antics (and humor) are horrible obviously but I still watch it weekly. To those asking about what the fake coral inserts look like after a week or so, 99% of those tanks (especially the ones for large companies) are maintained by local fish stores. They come out and clean everything on a regular basis. They did do two separate reef tank episodes (the Spade tank and a larger reef in somebody's home). They also did a good planted tank episode.

chubbyhubby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i started a tank around a year ago i atarted my tank with nutri ocean live rock and live sand. Teft tank for a couple of days to get up to temp and added fish . Never had any problems . Now upgraded to a bigger tank over xmas used nutri again for all the extra water . Use it for all my water changes . So im saying it is possible to go straight in with fish as iv done it .

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch it strictly for the 5 minutes when they go and pick out the fish. The staged antics (and humor) are horrible obviously but I still watch it weekly. To those asking about what the fake coral inserts look like after a week or so, 99% of those tanks (especially the ones for large companies) are maintained by local fish stores. They come out and clean everything on a regular basis. They did do two separate reef tank episodes (the Spade tank and a larger reef in somebody's home). They also did a good planted tank episode.

This. It's a guilty pleasure because fish are my hobby. I acknowledge that it's an awful show but still watch an episode or two per week. I will say that it's done a decent job of expanding my fish knowledge.

King of DIY had a factory tour of someone putting together a filtration system for a show they did by Detroit recently. That was pretty cool to see it being made before airing on the show.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't support the company by watching the show or buying their products after the spectacular failure of one of their tanks and their unwillingness to admit fault. Look up the saga of Peter's 1350 gallon tank built by ATM and how horrible it was when it failed.

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn't for my husband watching the show and wanting to learn more he'd probably really cringe at what I have spent on my reef tank's since we first met. Luckily he's been learning a lot about the different types of fish, corals, rocks, tank's and what it takes to maintain one. Even starting his first freshwater last year and then late last year he took the leap to change one of the two into saltwater both are at his work so he's done all the setup and maintenance himself. Now he only asks what's next or what can he safely add, not how much did that cost! Lol Long term after we move he wants a 300 gallon lion specific tank... Good thing we're building our next house!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shoot up to 16 hours of footage per episode. You're obviously not going to see all the boring, time consuming portions of their builds - including cycling and acclimating! they absolutely do not just dump fish in the tanks after they're filled up, and they do not (in most cases) leave all those fish in the tanks after the reveal.

The show is obviously scripted and goofy, but their knowledge in the industry can't be ignored. the show is for entertainment purposes.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can remember at least three reef tank builds. otherwise, it's bio balls in the sump.

I haven't watched the show in quite a long time. Just got too redundant for me.

I need to watch the show again and pay attention to how they set up the filtration. I don't recall seeing them ever put live rock in a system which would be the traditional way to skip cycle. They could do the same thing with their bacteria product, but what media is the bacteria growing in?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back