The Show "Tanked", I just cant ....

Mark9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed the show before they went "celebrity".
All attention grabbing now.

Last edited by a moderator:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always another side to every story. don't believe the hype (ie- libelous statements).

CraY thing about that is that he was the best free advertising they could ever want. Everyone followed that thread and saw the you tube videos. He was very vocal about who built the tank as well. Shame they didn't make him a new one. Having said that there must be more to the picture if they didn't honor the warranty. They have the $ and the insurance to cover it if it was something they did wrong. Did he ever build a new one? I know he said there was something in the pipeline.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you on this. These guys are NOT actors and don't pretend to be. They're just real people making a big splash on tv. And making pretty good bucks doing it. And they look like they're having fun. Better than watching the Bachelor! Ugh horrible smut.
Lol...the bachelor! ..haha totally agree.

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The show is not geared toward people on this forum, who have reefing experience. It is geared towards the masses, and is a reality show. Do you think everytime they do a build something goes wrong? It is for tv. Fish tank kings went a different route, and while it may have been a more accurate portrayal of the hobby, it just was not as interesting after a while.
I am sure "real" gold miners would say the same thing about Todd Hoffman on gold rush. Reality shows are about appealing to the masses who usually have little knowledge or experience in the area, and like to see the conflict or struggles. Otherwise it would just be boring. Not much different than the nightly news.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched it for a while. It's the people on the show that can be interesting. I could care less about themed builds and got bored with it and stopped watching as that is not my interest. Fun at times just not enough to hold my attention. Like many I could not believe how they dumped the fish in all at once. They must take some back out. I also wonder if they quarantine them first or will whoever treat the whole tank if anything happens.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have their own line of the instant start products that is what they use. They have quite a few seasons so their antics must be appreciated by enough people. I like them personally and have met them and they are pretty good guys. But I have a horrible sense of humor. lol
I met them as well at the savannah convention center in 2014 and they said the same thing.
Their acting is so bad though and all the "staged" things that happen.
Sometimes it's just like........oh my.
But I like watching the tanks come together.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would love to see those tanks a few months down the line, after algae has taken hold. Some of those designs have to be almost impossible to clean. Hate all of the decorative "inserts" that have nothing to do with reefing - like tennis shoes or other products in the corporate tank builds. Reminds me of what a display tank might look like at Pet-Smart.
Agree, would love to see how they look

alexgray1122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the silicone corals they put in tanks but the builds themselves are pretty cool. That and they usually stock boring everyday fish.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They built one locally here that was a joke. Themed tank with chiller and no venting the chiller heat out of the stand. The LFS they worked with and set up to maintain afterward, gave it back to ATF because it crashed 2 times and killed everything and they refused to service it anymore until it was redesigned.

bwmalloy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard from nineball since his disastrous tank issue? Is he building another?

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed the show early on, but seeing how many tangs and other fish they cram together stressing me out!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have to say the set up in a day thing was done multiple times a year for each wholesale trade covention in the pet industry during the 1980's to 2000's when I switched industries. We set up the systems on site for three day trade shows and hardly lost an animal. These were reef systems and freshwater planted.

I am afraid to comment on ATM due to the fact I am a fabricator. It is like asking a doctor about another doctor and their ability. You are likely to get silence for the most part as it reflects on the profession as a whole. Each fabricator has choices in regards to their customers...enough said.

As a fabricator the only thing you really have to trade on is your name and your ability to satisfy the customer. Some customers should not be customers in the first place due to budgets and ability.

I have been in the place of having an unhappy customer on two large custom built aquariums:( (1560 gallons each display). In my defense the architect created some problems by only pumping heated air into the mechanical room. This must have been an oversite since the build conferences addressed the needs for ventilation only for the mechanical space. The tank water temp was in the 90's due to the heated air forced into the mechanical space. The plans called for a ventalition only system through the roof to remove heated air and moisture from the mechanical room. After convincing the owner to add a chiller to both tanks with U.V. the problems stopped. I paid whatever it cost to replace lost fish due to the heat after the chiller and U.V. were added to the build. In the orginal bid the chiller and U.V. were specified but the customer deleted them to save money. By returning to the orginal build as I designed it we had no further problems. The tanks themselves were never an issue or problem. We warranted the entire build for 10 years. The warranty has long since expired without incidence and the tanks are still in service today to my knowledge.
The good name of my company is of value to me as the President. It is so much easier to walk away than to stand behind your product. My customers are not disposable since I am not a big name on T.V. I do not have an army of lawyers ready to defend my company. I do and did have insurance:mad:...but that is a discussion for another time. In the end it was an education for me as a fabricator and equaled the cost of a college education during the 1990's. In retrospect it was time and money well spent both for me and the customer. I learned how to do things better for the future for both my customer and my company. Lesson learned....tuition paid. LOL :cool::D:rolleyes:

bwmalloy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have to say the set up in a day thing was done multiple times a year for each wholesale trade covention in the pet industry during the 1980's to 2000's when I switched industries. We set up the systems on site for three day trade shows and hardly lost an animal. These were reef systems and freshwater planted.

I am afraid to comment on ATM due to the fact I am a fabricator. It is like asking a doctor about another doctor and their ability. You are likely to get silence for the most part as it reflects on the profession as a whole. Each fabricator has choices in regards to their customers...enough said.

As a fabricator the only thing you really have to trade on is your name and your ability to satisfy the customer. Some customers should not be customers in the first place due to budgets and ability.

I have been in the place of having an unhappy customer on two large custom built aquariums:( (1560 gallons each display). In my defense the architect created some problems by only pumping heated air into the mechanical room. This must have been an oversite since the build conferences addressed the needs for ventilation only for the mechanical space. The tank water temp was in the 90's due to the heated air forced into the mechanical space. The plans called for a ventalition only system through the roof to remove heated air and moisture from the mechanical room. After convincing the owner to add a chiller to both tanks with U.V. the problems stopped. I paid whatever it cost to replace lost fish due to the heat after the chiller and U.V. were added to the build. In the orginal bid the chiller and U.V. were specified but the customer deleted them to save money. By returning to the orginal build as I designed it we had no further problems. The tanks themselves were never an issue or problem. We warranted the entire build for 10 years. The warranty has long since expired without incidence and the tanks are still in service today to my knowledge.
The good name of my company is of value to me as the President. It is so much easier to walk away than to stand behind your product. My customers are not disposable since I am not a big name on T.V. I do not have an army of lawyers ready to defend my company. I do and did have insurance:mad:...but that is a discussion for another time. In the end it was an education for me as a fabricator and equaled the cost of a college education during the 1990's. In retrospect it was time and money well spent both for me and the customer. I learned how to do things better for the future for both my customer and my company. Lesson learned....tuition paid. LOL :cool::D:rolleyes:

Well said, Lowell! The difference of holding your customers in much higher regard is huge and causes you to offer the replacement of fish after the issue was fixed. The ATM guys are clearly do not care as much for each customer and are more worried about the show. What will they do when the show is canceled and all they have left is their "business?"

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said, Lowell! The difference of holding your customers in much higher regard is huge and causes you to offer the replacement of fish after the issue was fixed. The ATM guys are clearly do not care as much for each customer and are more worried about the show. What will they do when the show is canceled and all they have left is their "business?"

I guess we will see.

If I were them I would have contacted the my insurance company and the howowners insurance company and had the adjusters go with me to the job site to make record of all the evidence, study the failure, and then provide the best solution. Then with that information make the necessary improvements on the customers new tank. If the review showed my company to be responsible I would do my best to make every effort to limit the customer's losses.

I think Conrad Hilton's mother is credited with saying if you want to launch big ships you have to get in deep water. This type of project is a huge risk. Not one many of us should undertake lightly. I am not sure I would take the risk again unless the situation were vetted very carefully.

Chanjad385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever seen watched clips on YouTube
Some aspects of the tanks are prettying cool although it makes the hobby look too easy.

I haven't seen them once talk about acclimation or water changes
There's usually at least one thing I find fundamentally flawed in each tank

One tank had acrylic poles in it with sneakers [emoji148] displayed

I'm like what the heck why would you do that. I'm here looking for reef safe silicon and worried about contamination from soap etc and these guys are putting footwear in the displays.
IMG_9418.JPG

bwmalloy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, has anyone heard from nineball on his tank rebuild? Has he given into heart brake and given up?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever seen watched clips on YouTube
Some aspects of the tanks are prettying cool although it makes the hobby look too easy.

I haven't seen them once talk about acclimation or water changes
There's usually at least one thing I find fundamentally flawed in each tank

One tank had acrylic poles in it with sneakers [emoji148] displayed

I'm like what the heck why would you do that. I'm here looking for reef safe silicon and worried about contamination from soap etc and these guys are putting footwear in the displays.
IMG_9418.JPG
They weren't the original shoes , they make reefsafe copy's of everything they put in their tanks , ( not that I'm defending anyone displaying shoes in a fish tank :cool:) but I did see that episode ... hmmmmmm Agnes !!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back