The Show "Tanked", I just cant ....

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if they cycled the tank how did they do that when they set up the Toyota tank a couple of hours before the trade show? There were several times that on the show they claimed to set up and stock the same day. I think they depend on live sand and natural sea water.

Over stocking and putting incompatable fish together on the show and not saying anything about it is a very poor example for the hobby. It would only take a few seconds to say that at the end of the episode. Just my opinion.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they don't cycle every tank on the show. not all of them need it.

i already addressed the stocking situation.

again, keep in mind the show is for the casual viewer looking for some entertainment. it is not a documentary nor a how-to on the subject of setting up a tank.

So if they cycled the tank how did they do that when they set up the Toyota tank a couple of hours before the trade show? There were several times that on the show they claimed to set up and stock the same day. I think they depend on live sand and natural sea water.

Over stocking and putting incompatable fish together on the show and not saying anything about it is a very poor example for the hobby. It would only take a few seconds to say that at the end of the episode. Just my opinion.

Ojoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't support the company by watching the show or buying their products after the spectacular failure of one of their tanks and their unwillingness to admit fault. Look up the saga of Peter's 1350 gallon tank built by ATM and how horrible it was when it failed.

The fact that they denied building and installing it...

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that they denied building and installing it...

I followed that build from day one and the aftermath from the failure. Was heart breaking. It was terrible what these clowns did to Peter (nineball) and from that point forward I lost all respect for them. They did him dirty and as has been said, acted like they never knew him, the tank or their install. The tank was a total loss because of bad manufacturing on ATM's part. As for the show, I never liked their show from the beginning,
Do not support these clowns, their show or their products.

https://m.facebook.com/petersfishtank/

Last edited:

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed that build from day one and the aftermath from the failure. Was heart breaking. It was terrible what these clowns did to Peter (nineball) and from that point forward I lost all respect for them. They did him dirty and as has been said, acted like they never knew him, the tank or their install. The tank was a total loss because of bad manufacturing on ATM's part. As for the show, I never liked their show from the beginning,
Do not support these clowns.

https://m.facebook.com/petersfishtank/

[emoji107]. Let me add that you'd think they were insured for such things. And I'm not talking about the tank owner.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji107]. Let me add that you'd think they were insured for such things. And I'm not talking about the tank owner.

Of course they are. If I remember right, Nineball's tank was still under ATM's warranty at the time of the seam failure. It was made by them, they installed it on their custom stand. After weeks of giving him the run around and trying to act like they didn't make him this tank, they said that they didn't install it! 1350 gallon tank and you don't remember it and it was in Canada! At the end they had the balls to only offer him a discount on a new tank! Their insurance would have covered all of this, but to save a buck, they tried to screw him over.

I don't know what happened after, I only hope that Peter sued the crap out of them! Despicable and crooked.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can not stand the show, not one teeny tiny bit. The opposite of everything I like about reefing. Seems to make a novelty, a mockery in some instances, out of something I'm passionate about. I'm sure they're nice guys. Just wish they were into dogs, or parrots, or something.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course they are. If I remember right, Nineball's tank was still under ATM's warranty at the time of the seam failure. It was made by them, they installed it on their custom stand. After weeks of giving him the run around and trying to act like they didn't make him this tank, they said that they didn't install it! 1350 gallon tank and you don't remember it and it was in Canada! At the end they had the balls to only offer him a discount on a new tank! Their insurance would have covered all of this, but to save a buck, they tried to screw him over.

I don't know what happened after, I only hope that Peter sued the crap out of them! Despicable and crooked.

Can not stand the show, not one teeny tiny bit. The opposite of everything I like about reefing. Seems to make a novelty, a mockery in some instances, out of something I'm passionate about. I'm sure they're nice guys. Just wish they were into dogs, or parrots, or something.

Well, that just about sums it up. [emoji6][emoji1611]

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have quite a large range of products (Atm) which are very popular over here in the Uk, they never seem to be mentioned on these forums (good or bad) which always puzzled me slightly

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that didn't read his own words: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096730&page=44

Post 1084. I'll leave this subject at that.

One last thing.....
I'm passionate about this hobby and have been since 1993. I have met numerous fellow hobbyists in that time that share in that love and wonder in what we do and are dedicated to the marine life we keep. Be cause we care. It maters to us and we are willing to help each other in sharing our knowledge and experiences, not to make a buck off someone, but because we care.

Big tank or small, we are all the same.

tom reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do get why people wouldn't like the show, but again it's for entertainment purposes. Say they had two guys talking or showing what really takes to run a tank, equipment, QT, proper cycling, etc. you know how bored a lot of viewers out there would be. At the end of the day it's a television show and they need ratings. They have a target audience and it isn't most people on this forum because we actually like the "boring" (to some) kinda nerdy part of the hobby. Most of the viewers at home would flip the channel as soon as they start talking about what it really takes to run a reef/fowlr tank. As far as fake coral inserts go, a lot of us including me would love to see all those tanks with tons of real corals. The reality is most people that get a tank in the show have it as a piece of furniture or a conversation piece at home or office. They pay someone unlike a lot of us, to take care and clean the tanks. Much easier to take care of fake corals.
We sit around watChing BRS videos.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a love/hate relationship with the show :), mostly love though. It's fun and entertaining AND I get to see some really nice fish. Occasionally I learn something about fish too, which is great. On the negative side, they present a tremendously over-simplified view of the hobby. I love the technical and scientific aspects of the hobby, so I always feel "cheated" when they don't show the sump, plumbing, filtration, controllers, etc. Don't even get me started on the topic of fake corals :rolleyes:. All that being said, I watch the show regularly and I'm proud of this picture of me with Wayde and Brett from Reef-a-palozza.
dIvveBCuPF0FqoRUFMiTxBpSlhrxaeWVPkIQhZwu8XpTx-109BQ6u1Qy1L8CcozOLKPn0-pspIN67FQDrAtsqiM4cJzfHh-VtFQ8P-vmtkT6d47IzHXjDjic6ImmqHFhUmDdxCuhPWl9zZ3m74yMPEMzHY7b-nvFGdmcKNnC76jvggSnA-wAmDvv40upSGYf_U7n6iw7d50NrPwp8Y8hgdktTzwESCUoSfYl_PRs8huPWnUn1gxFIVLXhHdAzJoubgVgwn4JDitmnuaESJOsSoVBbVGXXxanw3DTliz371TxMLXf9mnKVqDQ4hPUeb3CpdbUcx-X85xUxxlUmbJB59kK-sT2ggnUT3pBDS1BOgLLm2bjao3FXQNJoVLStM6JTwpT17F-Rr4WUo6XylNjXP8sTwJEZcil56psBeF8o5GKyXUhFAnbGn_15kZ1ZGVarKmyJjcbPG2TQP7vDOcbhv8D-tB4H0udgLb4z9JYVxb1XimcjGwUK_A-3UD9LS5QTcm5T3yNOqWpq9vkfbQKHPkYCkYmb8IRaRgqytCKNe6cWNsvgrGk2eQ7yNENj39TPTX5FR1G-qnY-L8fVpUIIbU-eSAX4lWzOT1PNEkM6Bf6t11X4nsxKrPCxCdwHNGy0TLeo4EYEptHQTYG45GSPsCF7RaHZOUHHE99aWvcZw=w519-h922-no

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probobly should have stated this before I started the thread and with the initial thread ...

That is:

* Dont get me wrong, I FULLY understand that the show is made for TV and not how they act in real life .... I get it. BUT ... man I can't take the reading from q cards (which you can clearly tell they do when they are saying certain things and narrating the show with jokes) and the bad bad over acting. It's just rough.

* I dont doubt that they are probobly good dudes. In fact ANYONE who messes or does things with saltwater fish or reef tanks ... I love ya already. So its not a personal thing

* I don''t like how they, for example, put a Achilles Tang in a 4 foot round cylinder tank. That tang is probobly losing its mind. lol ... BUT again, I understand that it is for TV, and I would HOPE that they would ...uhhhh,..... possibly take the fish out after the show? I also just hope that someone watching the show would not say .. "hey I want that fish and set up and get an adult tang and put it in a 55 gallon tank (for example) ... you know what I mean

* IMO, its just a rough rough show that is hard for me to watch cause the bad acting, awful jokes and well, ... you get the idea. Literally can't watch it.

NOW...someone stated turning the volume doen and just having it on in the background ... NOW THATS AN IDEA!!

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a reality show. In real life they just build acrylic tanks and set them up. They don't do fish or anything live. They will build, set up, and fill the tank with water.

How do I know this? Because I got in touch with them because I wanted a quote on pricing of of 10 foot 2x2 tank and to have it delivered and setup in my home.

They promptly got back to me and said they don't do anything live for customers, but they would build whatever I wanted and set it up ( for a hefty price).

On tv the fish are handled by professional fish keepers just for the show.

Bottom line...its just for tv. I wouldn't be surprised if the fish were returned to the fish store after the showing (unless of course it's for some famous millionaire).

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that didn't read his own words: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096730&page=44

Post 1084. I'll leave this subject at that.

One last thing.....
I'm passionate about this hobby and have been since 1993. I have met numerous fellow hobbyists in that time that share in that love and wonder in what we do and are dedicated to the marine life we keep. Be cause we care. It maters to us and we are willing to help each other in sharing our knowledge and experiences, not to make a buck off someone, but because we care.

Big tank or small, we are all the same.

CraY thing about that is that he was the best free advertising they could ever want. Everyone followed that thread and saw the you tube videos. He was very vocal about who built the tank as well. Shame they didn't make him a new one. Having said that there must be more to the picture if they didn't honor the warranty. They have the $ and the insurance to cover it if it was something they did wrong. Did he ever build a new one? I know he said there was something in the pipeline.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand all of the hate that these guys get but it just goes to show how many people have different views of entertainment. Personally, I think the guys are funny because we share the same sense of humor. Yes its overacted and they use a lot of fake inserts/themes but watching the fabrication and things come together is what I like about it...same reason I get hooked onto those flip or flop/love it list it/ etc, I like to see the end results. I can only recall a few actual reef tanks that they have built, they are almost solely fish only. I like the production, the personalities, builds, etc, its entertaining to me I guess!

Fish Tank Kings certainly appeared more "real" in the ways they set things up and chose fish but to me was not entertaining and kinda boring, more documentary like which is fine for many folk just not me.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand all of the hate that these guys get but it just goes to show how many people have different views of entertainment. Personally, I think the guys are funny because we share the same sense of humor. Yes its overacted and they use a lot of fake inserts/themes but watching the fabrication and things come together is what I like about it...same reason I get hooked onto those flip or flop/love it list it/ etc, I like to see the end results. I can only recall a few actual reef tanks that they have built, they are almost solely fish only. I like the production, the personalities, builds, etc, its entertaining to me I guess!

Fish Tank Kings certainly appeared more "real" in the ways they set things up and chose fish but to me was not entertaining and kinda boring, more documentary like which is fine for many folk just not me.

I agree with you on this. These guys are NOT actors and don't pretend to be. They're just real people making a big splash on tv. And making pretty good bucks doing it. And they look like they're having fun. Better than watching the Bachelor! Ugh horrible smut.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back