The Tenecor® Pico DIY Drops March 2nd, 2024

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the size of the light attachment opening? Thinking of skipping the aio and using Hob if I can find one small enough.
No matter what size small HOB you find it will require cutting a larger opening in lid.
Had same idea using a HOB but on the DIY frag tank putting the intake tube into the corner overflow. Plug off the bottom and the return hole vs using as designed with mini sump.
1708538350856.png
Cut out lid, and notch the intake wall for HOB to slide into place.

I found these AZOO filters being used on a 5g Rock Flower tank (YouTube). Would go with the 150 for the higher 40GPH which can be turned down with the knob on the intake tube.
Both are super small HOB compared to others out there and available on Amazon, other sites. There are other small HOB but picked these for the left intake, floss/media area, overall size and reviews.
Other Amazon options: Aqueon, Aquatop, Nicrew, Tetra, SeaChem Tidal, Marineland, etc.
1708535409231.png
1708535466341.png

1708536792609.png

AZOO Mignon 60 Filter - 3.25 x 3.75 x 4.72 in 16GPH for 4g tanks Think EA brand on Amazon is the same.
AZOO Mignon 150Filter - 3.95 x 3.75 x 4.72 in 40GPH for 10g tanks

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another idea I hope you would like to consider, a really small AIO, similar to the Small in One. It's an 8×6×6 1 gallon aio. It's price point is a little pricey, if you could offer a diy that small that would definitely interest me.
Please post a link to this. Not familiar with it. FYI, you will be seeing several dozen DIY kits coming from us.

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk about the next one. The Anna Maria AIO Dropoff DIY. Comments please.
ANNA MARIA DROPOFF DIY.jpg
I like the concept and likely would purchase that one too. The size nicely fits small empty niches. Though I would make the bottom level 7” instead of 5” for a total of 16” length or take off 1” from top
level and move to bottom for aesthetics (better proportions, imo) and functional reasons (5” is really narrow space even one coral alone could take over and making it feel cramped, eg a frag of Duncan or Goni with a lot of extension)

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the concept and likely would purchase that one too. The size nicely fits small empty niches. Though I would make the bottom level 7” instead of 5” for a total of 16” length or take off 1” from top
level and move to bottom for aesthetics (better proportions, imo) and functional reasons (5” is really narrow space even one coral alone could take over and making it feel cramped, eg a frag of Duncan or Goni with a lot of extension)
These are the types of suggestions I need to hear about. Thank you. Please also remember, they will be for FW also.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk about the next one. The Anna Maria AIO Dropoff DIY. Comments please.
ANNA MARIA DROPOFF DIY.jpg
I'm not sure I like the dimensions but I really like the drop off style tanks. The 5" height for the top is ok but im getting stuck on the 9" width and 5" depth on the bottom. Maybe 12" width and not sure if you could squeeze out like 7" depth for the drop off splitting the 14" in half. I am not an engineer though.

edit just realized someone said something like this already. I am at work take me 1/2hr to reply. Geez people I'm trying to hobby here!

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I like the dimensions but I really like the drop off style tanks. The 5" height for the top is ok but im getting stuck on the 9" width and 5" depth on the bottom. Maybe 12" width and not sure if you could squeeze out like 7" depth for the drop off splitting the 14" in half. I am not an engineer though.

edit just realized someone said something like this already. I am at work take me 1/2hr to reply. Geez people I'm trying to hobby here!
One other thing to keep in mind. The AIO section has to be at least 2.0” deep, so that might be another reason to extend 2” total rather than shift internally. Though shifting 1” would still work as it would leave top shelf with 6” x 9” with functional usable space and bottom shelf 6 x 9” (although space might appear too symmetric).

I also might make the top shelf 6”-7” high instead of 5”. The reason is that the intake and nozzle for return pump will probably take away 1” H of usable space (in addition to fact that we will not be filling tank to the brim), which would be more impactful given the narrow but otherwise usable space between intake and return. Let’s say there is only 0.25
thin sand bed (assume more needed to secure marine plants if FW), many of us would probably mount the coral on a frag plug or rock, so we’re looking at another 0.25 to 0.5” not used for the coral. That means there is really approximately 3.5” for either coral or marine plant to grow if top shelf is only 5” high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing to keep in mind. The AIO section has to be at least 2.0” deep, so that might be another reason to extend 2” total rather than shift internally. Though shifting 1” would still work as it would leave top shelf with 6” x 9” with functional usable space and bottom shelf 6 x 9” (although space might appear too symmetric).

I also might make the top shelf 6”-7” high instead of 5”. The reason is that the intake and nozzle for return pump will probably take away 1” H of usable space (in addition to fact that we will not be filling tank to the brim), which would be more impactful given the narrow but otherwise usable space between intake and return. Let’s say there is only 0.25
thin sand bed (assume more needed to secure marine plants if FW), many of us would probably mount the coral on a frag plug or rock, so we’re looking at another 0.25 to 0.5” not used for the coral. That means there is really approximately 3.5” for either coral or marine plant to grow if top shelf is only 5” high.
Points noted.

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what size small HOB you find it will require cutting a larger opening in lid.
Had same idea using a HOB but on the DIY frag tank putting the intake tube into the corner overflow. Plug off the bottom and the return hole vs using as designed with mini sump.
1708538350856.png
Cut out lid, and notch the intake wall for HOB to slide into place.

I found these AZOO filters being used on a 5g Rock Flower tank (YouTube). Would go with the 150 for the higher 40GPH which can be turned down with the knob on the intake tube.
Both are super small HOB compared to others out there and available on Amazon, other sites. There are other small HOB but picked these for the left intake, floss/media area, overall size and reviews.
Other Amazon options: Aqueon, Aquatop, Nicrew, Tetra, SeaChem Tidal, Marineland, etc.
1708535409231.png
1708535466341.png

1708536792609.png

AZOO Mignon 60 Filter - 3.25 x 3.75 x 4.72 in 16GPH for 4g tanks Think EA brand on Amazon is the same.
AZOO Mignon 150Filter - 3.95 x 3.75 x 4.72 in 40GPH for 10g tanks

I previously used an AZOO Mignon 150 on a 2.5 gallon Aqueon tank, and did not find the flow adequate for my purposes- especially with the narrow spillway. I ended up adding a Hydor Koralia (which was honestly a bit too much) to run a mixed LPS/SPS reef. If using this as a frag tank I would want at least an Aquaclear 50 or so.

The Mignon 150 is a lovely filter though- I was able to fit a small heater inside along with the filter media. Made for a lovely setup and less visible stuffin the tank. Here's a pic from when I ran it alongside my shrimp tank with a DIY dual spectrum LED fixture- the koralia is hidden behind the rock on the right.
IMG_20191027_182607.jpg.6a955efe3828947302b83fdf8025cb7f.jpg

IMG_20191026_164919.thumb.jpg.d6db9eaafc7205a1d3db5f3678fd3eb0.jpg

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled it
Yeah 16 is real thick so its kinda like using silicone. Once you attach the panels with the thin stuff you can fix any imperfections with the 16 just by running a bead along the seam. I have a "sump" really a little fuge I built 16 or more years ago that still works great now 16x16x12" 3/8 thick acrylic.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back