The Tenecor® Pico DIY Drops March 2nd, 2024

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That little narrow drawer would be killer for a desktop tank at a workplace!
Not my idea but really like it. Can see there is a small slot in the drawer probably for ATO wiring and hose.
Reef Crest 17 gallon nano dropoff AIO.
Dimensions: 12"L x 24"W x 18"H

1708630636863.png

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just adding water to ATO and am reminded that I hate taking the container out of the cabinet to refill it. Would be great if the ATO could have a pullout spout or drawer/shelf into which we could pour water so we can just leave container in its place.
We have drawer ato designs. We never made them as I will explain below. They would be a good diy candidate. As a manufacturer, our challenge is to reduce labor costs. Every time a fabricator touches a tank, cost flows into that tank. One paradox is that it takes only a little longer to build a 300 gallon, (about 40 minutes) than it does a 40 gallon. Again, it's the "touch time". Our labor costs are approx $65/hour with insurance and benefits included so we need to minimize it as much as possible. Our machine time has a cost of only .75 cents/minute so we buy lots of cnc machines. And Most of the time these aquariums sit around and cure before we move them. This is why our DIY kits are going to be a big part of future business. Our drawer ato is pretty sweet but it has lots of small parts that take expensive labor to join together. with diy, We both benefit. And I have not even mentioned the cost of shipping big boxes of air.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen posts about the large bulkhead return hole. Being a DIY project many may want the smaller hole as noted. How about both?
Before cutting the larger hole for a 1/2bulkhead cutout a .516 hole and provide the donut slug for those that don't want the larger hole.
1708625662218.png
Reading my mind again.. I was going with a fender washer style to ensure a better bond

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the DIY Bug.... Seen different drop off tanks that are either narrow and long with AIO in back or wide and narrow depth front to back with drop off on side. Going 11 wide by 18 long one could set up in either configuration with optional addition of two pieces on the AIO end for long front view.
Either option I'm going to cut out a side and add a box for either ATO or storage.
1708622221617.png
1708622279730.png

1708623108766.png
Stuff like this is exactly what we are going to be offering. This and much more

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices for ATOs of /all/ sizes are out of control. Eg $150-$200 for a 4-5 gallon ATO. Why is a glorified bucket even at that size more expensive than some AIOs, eg IM Nuvo 15g at $120?

Granted the amount is de minimis in the grand scheme of our total expenditures for our hobby but I refuse out of principle. And spite.

A $15 bucket used for brewing beer suffices, as would a $10/$15 aqueon tank constantly on sale at Petco plus a sheet of acrylic from Etsy with a hole drilled for the tube as a lid.
Ok. Done. We also have single, dual and quad dosing container designs perfect for diy

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great mockup; these are really helpful.

Thought about it more and wonder whether our proposals are changing the product from its intended purpose too much (which only Tenecor can answer). I’m aware of the concept but have not seen in person a drop off aquarium but this model seems geared more “for fun” (eg, let’s get creative or something to do with the kids as the next step beyond legos) than even the pico we all just ordered. Or to fit particular circumstances (the person who mentioned interest in a shelf tank comes to mind). The drop off seems like a different product line than the pico. The proposals might be making them too similar, eg, just the pico but with an elevated shelf, and might cannabilize the market for the former. Although the difference between 9” and 12” inches might not be much, it could be determinative for someone who wants to e.g., use it as a shelf tank or put it on smaller furniture (like a kid’s desk or night stand).

The tank might have been intended with a two baffle AIO? Which might make sense as corals more sensitive to water parameters might not be suitable so eg potential skimmer not considered. Though I think many reefers would prefer a third baffle even if very narrow to at least place the heater separate from the return pump (eg in case of water level drop off), which I think can be done without modifying the depth.

With that said, our more practical reefer concerns, like a media caddy or space for a drop-in skimmer or reactor, potentially could be satisfied with a modest change in depth by 0.5” to 1.0”?

For example, the depth of several of IM Nuvo’s AIOs is less than 3.0” and the length of the chamber one is also less than 3.0”. The length of several chamber 2 media baskets fit spaces of 3.5” to 4.0” (of varying depths). Assuming similar chamber 1 set up and depth of 3” similar to pico AIO (I’d be in favor of reducing depth for usable space in display), chamber 1 and 3 could be 2.25”, which leaves about 3.5 to 4.0” for chamber 2. Or maybe make chamber 3 narrower but providing some space to insert a larger pump and adjust its orientaton at the bottom? This would also afford more space for a usable chamber 2. I’ve made edits to mock up with example of potentital set up for a tank about 9” to 10” deep — I think this would still make this drop off feel like a separate product line and perhaps satisfy at least some purposes/circumstances not serviced by the first pico. Perhaps for this tank, the practice pieces could be to assemble a media basket for chamber 2 in case there aren’t aftermarket caddies that would fit the space.

Or the AIO could be run along the back with depth of 2.25” to 2.5”?? And perhaps a dual nozzle, which might obviate the need for a random flow generator or power head?

I’d still extend length to 15” or 16” though for proportions. IMG_3891.jpeg
There won't be just "one" design. I have several in mind. A while ago I designed what we ended up calling a "beam tank" elevated on both ends. Bookshelf style. Going to make a drop off design with that Idea. Stay tuned

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices for ATOs of /all/ sizes are out of control. Eg $150-$200 for a 4-5 gallon ATO. Why is a glorified bucket even at that size more expensive than some AIOs, eg IM Nuvo 15g at $120?

Granted the amount is de minimis in the grand scheme of our total expenditures for our hobby but I refuse out of principle. And spite.

A $15 bucket used for brewing beer suffices, as would a $10/$15 aqueon tank constantly on sale at Petco plus a sheet of acrylic from Etsy with a hole drilled for the tube as a lid.
What do you think of these? Selection of our slim line ato's. Sub $100. Diy version would have square bottom coorners.
AQUABOSS SLIM LINE ATO 4 INCH BLK RED.jpeg

AQUABOSS SLIM LINE ATO 4 INCH BLK BLK.jpeg
AQUABOSS SLIM LINE ATO 4 INCH CLR BLK.jpeg

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love if it did, but not a deal breaker from me. How do we go about getting the diy ATO and dosing containers?
These are out on the horizon. Probably around April. I want to make sure this pico diy goes well. As of tonight, over 100. They are scheduled to run this weekend. The next one will be the drop off. I wanted to do that one last year but had to take some time off. The other stuff will happen pretty quickly

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are about a dozen sizes from 2.5 to 15 gallon
Yes but give us an option for gravity feed instead pleaseeeee. Or tell me who's palms I have to grease to get one that style. I prefer one less electric machine that could fail on me.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love if it did, but not a deal breaker from me. How do we go about getting the diy ATO and dosing containers?
The ATO DIY is deceptively challenging. At least the narrow ones are. I am working on the DIY design modification to make it easier to assemble. What's challenging is attaching the opposite wall and getting a good solvent application. The first steps are easy. To make all the steps easy, I am thinking of doing a tab and notch assembly design. Then the DIY challenge is to make sure the spots whith the tabs and notches are well sealed. With weldon 16 which has the viscosity of honey, this should not be a problem. I just want to avoid the complaints of poor seals. Tab and notch? This is another completely unrelated business we are in and it will give you a better idea of what I mean >>> https://crates2go.com/

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back