...THE THING ABOUT FACEBOOK...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t know, before I even begin this one, I think I am poised for a quiet rant, in fact I'm not even sure where to begin… Truth is, I’m not the kind of guy to reject new and modern ways life. Nor one too stuck in my own ways to not embrace whatever innovation is around the corner, in real life, or the virtual world, but I’ve nearly all but abandoned FB entirely. I mean I get it, stay connected, find friends, share pics, info, whatever else. But ultimately I just don’t get it. And this is more in the general sense. Maybe it’s just the actual introvert in me finally sneaking its way into the virtual version of me, but short of a good Onion read and a friends pic or two now and then, I am no longer intrigued in any way by the constant influx of the hopelessly unnecessary information that greets me when I log in.

Am I ahead of the curve on this one? I mean will this one peak and eventually fade? Or, am I just on my way to getting further behind. This will just become a vessel for the evolution of the next ”version” of whatever means of “connection” we need to implement into our lives. As far as hobby related what-not goes, sales or information seeking, is FB just a wasteland of scammers, exaggerators, and narcissistic idiots? I don’t know, it seems like that to me sometimes.

This is kind of a winded and rambling rant if anything, but what I really intended to do with this post was to explain why, if you’ve sent a friend request to my personal FB page, the reason that it hasn’t been addressed. The list is long. I mean really long and I’ve left a large number of people waiting for a long time now.

The thing is this. I don’t use FB much as it is, and my personal page consists primarily of pics of my kids, and mega misc stuff my wife tags me in. Essentially all kids and family stuff. Battlecorals has its own page, and the activity there though quite minimal, everything Battle goes on there.

If you have sent my personal FB page a friend request that went unanswered, I sincerely apologize for leaving you hanging. There’s nothing personal in any way about why I have not accepted, and I have no intention of alienating myself or anyone else. If you want to chat or get to know me, please feel free to call, PM, text or email me anytime. More than happy to talk with you about anything. You can even send me all the pics you want and I'll look at them all I promise. I just intend to keep my FB page as quaint as is needs be. And again I am really sorry for leaving a lot of you guys hanging over there.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had the opposite happen. I purchased some corals from someone on this site, who also has a business Facebook page. But, he sent me a friend request from his personal page. I haven't accepted it because quite frankly I don't know that individual, I simply conducted business with them. I didn't intend for it to become anything more than a business/customer relationship.

So I think it makes complete sense not to mix the two @Battlecorals

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing - I guess I am not so weird after all - I do not have a FB account and I get around and have a lot of friends without it - on the fence!!!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaand now you know why I don't do FaceSpace or TwitGram or anything else besides posting long winded diatribes here...
If I want to know what's going on in my friends lives, I'll call them, or better yet, sit down with them for an adult beverage...

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got Facebook last month and the only reason I got is to enter the giveaways on R2R if it was not for R2R I would not have it. I believe that social media is one of the main reason for all the problems with the children of the world today.

Great thread as always Adam.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a FB, Instagram, twitter or snap chat and never will. I'm a private person and don't intend to change. I text Adam and he is sincere when he says he has no problem communicating with you.

Dude, send me the pic of the Bliss! ;Yuck

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it's my time to go I will look back and say "You know what? Not a minute of my life was wasted on facebook".

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually Adam, I read a week or so ago that Facebook had lost something like 2 million accounts in their young crowd demographic over the last year. I believe that was something like 12 to 25 year olds. They said it was slowly migrating to the older crowd for some reason. That is why they keep buying all these other companies. They want to keep it "hip" for the young crowd and keep up with their wants.

I'm like greenstreet.1, I only have an account for reef/freshwater stuff. I have no friends, not even my wife, kids or mother. It can have its perks. I would never find out about some of the local reef stuff if it wasn't for facebook. Almost everyone has stopped posting on our local club forum and do it all on facebook. Years ago you could post on the forum and the next day you couldn't find your post because there was so much activity. Now you are lucky to get a reply unless you are selling something, which make up the bulk of the posts.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you 100%. I still have a facebook, but I mainly keep it around because of all the pics of my son on it and to remind me of people's birthdays lol. I don't even participate in the contests here that have Facebook or Twitter as a requirement. So I won't feel bad that you didn't accept my friend request, because I didn't send one.:p

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said Adam, but, for me, it was that message from my “X”. “ I left a message for you!” I hadn’t heard from her in over 30 yrs. There I was, mining my own business playing FarmVille , send a tree, grow a flower.......since then.......I don’t play anymore. But I am #1 in Panda Pop!!!

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond keeping in touch with far away friends and relatives FB usefulness is nil. In fact now that every “younger person” feels that not only I want to hear their opinion but also that I care. Add to that the reef community on FB is overpopulated with fatheaded photoshop pros and well over hyped corals I no longer browse FB. I keep it on my phone literally so that I can be notified if someone dies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back