...THE THING ABOUT FACEBOOK...

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Feb 28, 2018.

1. siggy

siggy Gone Fishing Again R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Amen Brother! I was inadvertently enrolled onto FB during a contest giveaway. I discovered old friends and pleasantly found a way to still interact daily with my adult children and watch my grandchild's antics and accomplishments, and that I will miss dearly. For two weeks after the announcement that the election cycle will again be manipulated and americans further divided I have been trying to delete my Fake Book account to no avail, It keeps turning up like the bad penny it is. Maybe someone should do a tread on that.

2. WnYreefer

WnYreefer Active Member

Hope this is alright to post,

Want2BS8ed, hatfielj, MTBake and 3 others like this.
  3. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor

I have absolutely no social media accounts.

Great thread.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. ithk21620

ithk21620 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I would have to agree, I have been wanting to ditch FB for a while now but I run a small coral business, much smaller than you, and all the local clubs don't use their forums anymore. It is all done on FB so if it wasn't for my business I wouldn't have it at all. I also know what you mean by friend requests, I will share a "business" post from my personal account every now and then and then I get all these mysterious friend requests that just sit there unanswered and for the same reason as you. My personal page is full of pictures of my kids and all the stuff my wife thinks is funny at that particular time.

The only other social media site I belong to is Twitter and I couldn't tell you the last time I logged in, I probably don't even know the password anymore lol. I had signed up to keep an eye on my oldest child but now my wife keeps an eye on her since I refuse to get snapcrap, instalame and all the rest of the crap the kids use now.

siggy likes this.
  5. malira

malira Well-Known Member

Amen.

Our family mantra is "The less people (the public) know about you the better."

I do like seeing the "smurfs" displaying their corals though.

6. Centerline

Centerline Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Great place to highlight accomplishments and remind one why they didn't like school. The conversations are like bar conversations. The coral groups are full of "hip hop nub dealers" (If I get called Bro one more time....) so Ill completely understand if you ignore a message or friend request from me. I would. I use FB to post fishing pictures, nice coral scores and document my aging through a series of increasingly depressing pictures. Maybe blocking relatives like I have will make it more palatable. If I cant keep them out of my house or business at least I can keep them off my FB page. LOL

jolt likes this.
  7. KJoFan

KJoFan Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

LOL at everyone on here talking about how much they hate social media sites etc. As if this isn't a form of social media. :rolleyes:

8. Centerline

Centerline Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Shoot, how do a share this on FB - don't see a share button? LOL.

9. WnYreefer

WnYreefer Active Member

If you click the copy on top of the video it should open up on Youtube, then just copy the link and post on FB. Hope that helps.

Centerline likes this.
  10. Skynyrd Fish

Skynyrd Fish Active Member

No FB account. I like connecting with old friends but I do not like that your pics and business are out there for anyone who may not have good intentions. Plus your current or future employer can make decisions based on what they see. Might as well post your financial information. Lol.

11. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I think I'd call this more of a "collective resource" than straight up social media ;)

therman, Maacc, jolt and 2 others like this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

While I agree it's "social media", it's definitely not facebook. Can't stand facebook and will never go on there, it's not for me. I don't think R2R and Facebook can be compared.

Ergodyne and cmcoker like this.
  13. S-t-r-e-t-c-h

S-t-r-e-t-c-h Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

It makes me happy that I'm not the only one. I still have a FB account but I login maybe once a year. Maybe.

I do use twitter for news though.

DSC reef likes this.
  14. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

You're not alone. I have nothing to do with social media. I do not understand it, and don't want to. I dont care what you had for dinner, what time you are going to the gym, who you are fighting with, who your ex is sleeping with etc. One of the most irritating things today is that everyone "assumes" that you have fb, and the shock when you say "NO". It has nothing to do with my life whatsoever. I tell my parents all the time that I am so thankful that I got to grow up in the 90s, the last great decade.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Want2BS8ed and DSC reef like this.
  15. Fourstars

Fourstars Active Member R2R Supporter

My kids insisted on setting one up for me. I deleted it because that Zuckerberg kid creeps me out. I still get emails trying to entice me to reactivate my account. The last one was my daughter has tag a picture. My daughter deactivated her account a while ago. FB acts like a spurned lover.

16. KJoFan

KJoFan Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I wasn't comparing. I said it's a form of social media, which you agreed with. :)

17. dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper Active Member

I created a Facebook account years ago. Only because my kids was going out of the country and the international fees on my phone was too much. So we kept in touch thru Facebook messenger. Other then that, I don't use it. Facebook collects everything you do. My local reef club is now going the Facebook route. So it sounds like I will be loosing touch with most reefers. Who is gonna post their tank problems on Facebook. Some tank problem threads go for pages. Not to mention the countless pages on people builds.

AquaDaddy likes this.
  18. jolt

jolt Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

What saddens me is that the move to FB versus traditional forums means a loss of searchable history. So the same basic questions stream by over and over, endlessly. People don't seem to mind that. It's mind numbing. And if I see another 'that moment when ...' post I think I will keel over

19. Centerline

That was rhetorical LOL...

WnYreefer likes this.
  20. Opus

Opus Valuable Member

I have the same issue with memes on R2R. I don't like them and everyone seems to think they are so great. Oh well, they are easy to ignore.

But yes I agree with the searchable history. I don't know how many times my wife has wanted to show me something and I get " I just saw it a minute ago and now it is gone".

jolt likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted