...THE THING ABOUT FACEBOOK...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen Brother! I was inadvertently enrolled onto FB during a contest giveaway. I discovered old friends and pleasantly found a way to still interact daily with my adult children and watch my grandchild's antics and accomplishments, and that I will miss dearly. For two weeks after the announcement that the election cycle will again be manipulated and americans further divided I have been trying to delete my Fake Book account to no avail, It keeps turning up like the bad penny it is. Maybe someone should do a tread on that.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree, I have been wanting to ditch FB for a while now but I run a small coral business, much smaller than you, and all the local clubs don't use their forums anymore. It is all done on FB so if it wasn't for my business I wouldn't have it at all. I also know what you mean by friend requests, I will share a "business" post from my personal account every now and then and then I get all these mysterious friend requests that just sit there unanswered and for the same reason as you. My personal page is full of pictures of my kids and all the stuff my wife thinks is funny at that particular time.

The only other social media site I belong to is Twitter and I couldn't tell you the last time I logged in, I probably don't even know the password anymore lol. I had signed up to keep an eye on my oldest child but now my wife keeps an eye on her since I refuse to get snapcrap, instalame and all the rest of the crap the kids use now.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, before I even begin this one, I think I am poised for a quiet rant, in fact I'm not even sure where to begin… Truth is, I’m not the kind of guy to reject new and modern ways life. Nor one too stuck in my own ways to not embrace whatever innovation is around the corner, in real life, or the virtual world, but I’ve nearly all but abandoned FB entirely. I mean I get it, stay connected, find friends, share pics, info, whatever else. But ultimately I just don’t get it. And this is more in the general sense. Maybe it’s just the actual introvert in me finally sneaking its way into the virtual version of me, but short of a good Onion read and a friends pic or two now and then, I am no longer intrigued in any way by the constant influx of the hopelessly unnecessary information that greets me when I log in.

Am I ahead of the curve on this one? I mean will this one peak and eventually fade? Or, am I just on my way to getting further behind. This will just become a vessel for the evolution of the next ”version” of whatever means of “connection” we need to implement into our lives. As far as hobby related what-not goes, sales or information seeking, is FB just a wasteland of scammers, exaggerators, and narcissistic idiots? I don’t know, it seems like that to me sometimes.

This is kind of a winded and rambling rant if anything, but what I really intended to do with this post was to explain why, if you’ve sent a friend request to my personal FB page, the reason that it hasn’t been addressed. The list is long. I mean really long and I’ve left a large number of people waiting for a long time now.

The thing is this. I don’t use FB much as it is, and my personal page consists primarily of pics of my kids, and mega misc stuff my wife tags me in. Essentially all kids and family stuff. Battlecorals has its own page, and the activity there though quite minimal, everything Battle goes on there.

If you have sent my personal FB page a friend request that went unanswered, I sincerely apologize for leaving you hanging. There’s nothing personal in any way about why I have not accepted, and I have no intention of alienating myself or anyone else. If you want to chat or get to know me, please feel free to call, PM, text or email me anytime. More than happy to talk with you about anything. You can even send me all the pics you want and I'll look at them all I promise. I just intend to keep my FB page as quaint as is needs be. And again I am really sorry for leaving a lot of you guys hanging over there.
Great place to highlight accomplishments and remind one why they didn't like school. The conversations are like bar conversations. The coral groups are full of "hip hop nub dealers" (If I get called Bro one more time....) so Ill completely understand if you ignore a message or friend request from me. I would. I use FB to post fishing pictures, nice coral scores and document my aging through a series of increasingly depressing pictures. Maybe blocking relatives like I have will make it more palatable. If I cant keep them out of my house or business at least I can keep them off my FB page. LOL

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No FB account. I like connecting with old friends but I do not like that your pics and business are out there for anyone who may not have good intentions. Plus your current or future employer can make decisions based on what they see. Might as well post your financial information. Lol.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
LOL at everyone on here talking about how much they hate social media sites etc. As if this isn't a form of social media. :rolleyes:

I think I'd call this more of a "collective resource" than straight up social media ;)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL at everyone on here talking about how much they hate social media sites etc. As if this isn't a form of social media. :rolleyes:
While I agree it's "social media", it's definitely not facebook. Can't stand facebook and will never go on there, it's not for me. I don't think R2R and Facebook can be compared.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes me happy that I'm not the only one. I still have a FB account but I login maybe once a year. Maybe.

I do use twitter for news though.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone. I have nothing to do with social media. I do not understand it, and don't want to. I dont care what you had for dinner, what time you are going to the gym, who you are fighting with, who your ex is sleeping with etc. One of the most irritating things today is that everyone "assumes" that you have fb, and the shock when you say "NO". It has nothing to do with my life whatsoever. I tell my parents all the time that I am so thankful that I got to grow up in the 90s, the last great decade.

Last edited:

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids insisted on setting one up for me. I deleted it because that Zuckerberg kid creeps me out. I still get emails trying to entice me to reactivate my account. The last one was my daughter has tag a picture. My daughter deactivated her account a while ago. FB acts like a spurned lover.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree it's "social media", it's definitely not facebook. Can't stand facebook and will never go on there, it's not for me. I don't think R2R and Facebook can be compared.
I wasn't comparing. I said it's a form of social media, which you agreed with. :)

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I created a Facebook account years ago. Only because my kids was going out of the country and the international fees on my phone was too much. So we kept in touch thru Facebook messenger. Other then that, I don't use it. Facebook collects everything you do. My local reef club is now going the Facebook route. So it sounds like I will be loosing touch with most reefers. Who is gonna post their tank problems on Facebook. Some tank problem threads go for pages. Not to mention the countless pages on people builds.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I created a Facebook account years ago. Only because my kids was going out of the country and the international fees on my phone was too much. So we kept in touch thru Facebook messenger. Other then that, I don't use it. Facebook collects everything you do. My local reef club is now going the Facebook route. So it sounds like I will be loosing touch with most reefers. Who is gonna post their tank problems on Facebook. Some tank problem threads go for pages. Not to mention the countless pages on people builds.

What saddens me is that the move to FB versus traditional forums means a loss of searchable history. So the same basic questions stream by over and over, endlessly. People don't seem to mind that. It's mind numbing. And if I see another 'that moment when ...' post I think I will keel over

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What saddens me is that the move to FB versus traditional forums means a loss of searchable history. So the same basic questions stream by over and over, endlessly. People don't seem to mind that. It's mind numbing. And if I see another 'that moment when ...' post I think I will keel over

I have the same issue with memes on R2R. I don't like them and everyone seems to think they are so great. Oh well, they are easy to ignore.

But yes I agree with the searchable history. I don't know how many times my wife has wanted to show me something and I get " I just saw it a minute ago and now it is gone".

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back