...THE THING ABOUT FACEBOOK...

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Feb 28, 2018.

1. CNDReef

CNDReef Formally Toomanyfish R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I disabled my account a few weeks ago to see if anyone would remember my birthday without the help of Facebook, I got 3 phone calls and 2 texts. My own brother forgot about me. Facebook for the win lol

2. squareriggersailor

squareriggersailor Well-Known Member

I quit that bravo sierra the first time I felt disappointed that the picture or whatever it was I posted didn't get enough likes.

Jeepguy242 and mta_morrow like this.
  3. Haggisman14

Haggisman14 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I actually put a completely false birthday on my page quite a few years back, and ya gotta love how many people would wish me happy birthday on the wrong month and day! Pretty funny actually. Now I only get calls and messages from my close family and friends that actually remember!

Side note - I only keep facebook around to share pictures of my kids with family that live throughout the world. Don't use it personally anymore b/c of all the crap!

CNDReef likes this.
  4. Crimson

Crimson Active Member

My other pet peeve is sponsors wanting you to "like them" in order to get free swag/contests. They have the right just like I have the right not to participate.

I never had nor will ever have facebook, twitter, instagram or whatever social media flavor of the year. The irony, I am in IT (granted I lived in a time without internet, cellphones and flying cars..uh wait...)

Yes, forums are a social media platform but the format is different. Most forums are hobby or interest specific.

5. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCAA Member Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I grew up when you did as well and I don’t do any social media.

While we didn’t have internet, cell phones, etc like you said, don’t forget that we DID have push button pay phones on every street corner, thermal fax machines, and the real MTV!

6. Jeepguy242

Jeepguy242 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I miss the real mtv

7. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I don't social media at all. I really wish all of the contests on here did not require that. I think that would be a nice perk for paid supporters.

8. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCAA Member Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

We DO get bonus entries!

Katrina71 likes this.
  9. TheCoralLife

TheCoralLife Member

We applaud you and agree to your post as a vendor and think this will start to happen more often than not.. We have been letting ours go kind of idle with minimum posts lately just at the fact that marketing wise seems to not to be worth the time/effort. We have got more exposure from other customers or craigslist than Facebook (best part other sources is not dealing with all the crap between as we can go on our merry way). Most people add you as friends just to add you to another group amongst the thousands we have already been manually put into which is getting ridiculous to handle. Have a few customers complain about a local frag auction group keep adding them back in after they opt out of the group multiple times.

10. Michael Naegeli

Michael Naegeli Captainspando R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

eeewwwww Facebook..... So 2009. Haha. Hate it. Already said hey to all my old school peeps. Enough for me. Haven’t been on there for years nor do I ever care to be ever again. If it ain’t about Reefin I get bored very quickly. Bunch o nonsense to me. Reef 2 Reef my only social media I spend any time on

Battlecorals, Katrina71 and DSC reef like this.
  11. DHill6

DHill6 Well-Known Member

I don’t have any social platform accounts , I also prefer to private. What people don’t understand is whatever they put out there they can’t take it back. As one who has spent a couple weeks deleting herself from the internet highway through many sites and their spin off sites, which isn’t fun, a lot of information out there is incorrect. I didn’t give my permission to these sites to list my address, relatives, income etc..

Katrina71 likes this.
  12. Skibum

Skibum Active Member

Sharing is overrated.

Katrina71 likes this.
  13. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Nobody cares if I'm chillin' eating Doritos, and I don't duck lip.

Battlecorals likes this.
  14. AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I've never had FB, and haven't really wanted to join either, but I do find there is a perception that I miss out on a lot because I'm told that most of the reefers in my area (Pacific North West) are using a FB group to correspond with. I'm come close to joining multiple times, but just can't bring myself to do it. I would like to know more what is going on in my community though. Also, as multiple folks have indicated, I do not like the contests/giveaways which do require a FB account. I get it from a business perspective they need to reach a larger audience then just R2R, but they lose me on everyone. Wondered why I never win anything! LOL

Katrina71 and Lowell Lemon like this.
  15. Lowell Lemon

Lowell Lemon Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

No to Facebook. ..peace out.

mta_morrow and Katrina71 like this.
  16. jason.kennedy.98478

jason.kennedy.98478 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Man and I thought this was going to be a rant about FB coral vendors

17. RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad Well-Known Member Partner Member 2019

I also do not have a FB account or do any other social media other than this site. My husband does but I generally ignore it. I’m with you! I talk to the people I want to by phone or text! And if anyone forgets my birthday, I don’t care anyway I’ve probably already forgot theirs too!

mta_morrow likes this.
  18. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Lol yeah, I don't think I can even waste my thought process on those guys, let alone do an entire write up. That nonsense was over for me before it started.

19. Bob Weigant

Bob Weigant Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I’m on FB but it’s dedicated to just my friends and family. I don’t accept friends request if I’ve never met you. I stay far away from drama ( maybe cause I’m getting older ).

Katrina71 likes this.
  20. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 Valuable Member

I hate FB and don't use it at all. I wish all of these contests would actually stop using social media in general for entries.

Nobody on my friends list cares if I like an aquarium product, just like I don't care what their stupid crap is about. Aside of folks that actually communicate with family and real life friends, it's a sham of people showing what they want you to think their life is like.

Draft saved Draft deleted