...THE THING ABOUT FACEBOOK...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disabled my account a few weeks ago to see if anyone would remember my birthday without the help of Facebook, I got 3 phone calls and 2 texts. My own brother forgot about me. Facebook for the win lol

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disabled my account a few weeks ago to see if anyone would remember my birthday without the help of Facebook, I got 3 phone calls and 2 texts. My own brother forgot about me. Facebook for the win lol

I actually put a completely false birthday on my page quite a few years back, and ya gotta love how many people would wish me happy birthday on the wrong month and day! Pretty funny actually. Now I only get calls and messages from my close family and friends that actually remember!

Side note - I only keep facebook around to share pictures of my kids with family that live throughout the world. Don't use it personally anymore b/c of all the BS!

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other pet peeve is sponsors wanting you to "like them" in order to get free swag/contests. They have the right just like I have the right not to participate.

I never had nor will ever have facebook, twitter, instagram or whatever social media flavor of the year. The irony, I am in IT (granted I lived in a time without internet, cellphones and flying cars..uh wait...)

Yes, forums are a social media platform but the format is different. Most forums are hobby or interest specific.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other pet peeve is sponsors wanting you to "like them" in order to get free swag/contests. They have the right just like I have the right not to participate.

I never had nor will ever have facebook, twitter, instagram or whatever social media flavor of the year. The irony, I am in IT (granted I lived in a time without internet, cellphones and flying cars..uh wait...)

Yes, forums are a social media platform but the format is different. Most forums are hobby or interest specific.

I grew up when you did as well and I don’t do any social media.

While we didn’t have internet, cell phones, etc like you said, don’t forget that we DID have push button pay phones on every street corner, thermal fax machines, and the real MTV!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't social media at all. I really wish all of the contests on here did not require that. I think that would be a nice perk for paid supporters.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't social media at all. I really wish all of the contests on here did not require that. I think that would be a nice perk for paid supporters.

We DO get bonus entries!

TheCoralLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, before I even begin this one, I think I am poised for a quiet rant, in fact I'm not even sure where to begin… Truth is, I’m not the kind of guy to reject new and modern ways life. Nor one too stuck in my own ways to not embrace whatever innovation is around the corner, in real life, or the virtual world, but I’ve nearly all but abandoned FB entirely. I mean I get it, stay connected, find friends, share pics, info, whatever else. But ultimately I just don’t get it. And this is more in the general sense. Maybe it’s just the actual introvert in me finally sneaking its way into the virtual version of me, but short of a good Onion read and a friends pic or two now and then, I am no longer intrigued in any way by the constant influx of the hopelessly unnecessary information that greets me when I log in.

Am I ahead of the curve on this one? I mean will this one peak and eventually fade? Or, am I just on my way to getting further behind. This will just become a vessel for the evolution of the next ”version” of whatever means of “connection” we need to implement into our lives. As far as hobby related what-not goes, sales or information seeking, is FB just a wasteland of scammers, exaggerators, and narcissistic idiots? I don’t know, it seems like that to me sometimes.

This is kind of a winded and rambling rant if anything, but what I really intended to do with this post was to explain why, if you’ve sent a friend request to my personal FB page, the reason that it hasn’t been addressed. The list is long. I mean really long and I’ve left a large number of people waiting for a long time now.

The thing is this. I don’t use FB much as it is, and my personal page consists primarily of pics of my kids, and mega misc stuff my wife tags me in. Essentially all kids and family stuff. Battlecorals has its own page, and the activity there though quite minimal, everything Battle goes on there.

If you have sent my personal FB page a friend request that went unanswered, I sincerely apologize for leaving you hanging. There’s nothing personal in any way about why I have not accepted, and I have no intention of alienating myself or anyone else. If you want to chat or get to know me, please feel free to call, PM, text or email me anytime. More than happy to talk with you about anything. You can even send me all the pics you want and I'll look at them all I promise. I just intend to keep my FB page as quaint as is needs be. And again I am really sorry for leaving a lot of you guys hanging over there.

We applaud you and agree to your post as a vendor and think this will start to happen more often than not.. We have been letting ours go kind of idle with minimum posts lately just at the fact that marketing wise seems to not to be worth the time/effort. We have got more exposure from other customers or craigslist than Facebook (best part other sources is not dealing with all the BS between as we can go on our merry way). Most people add you as friends just to add you to another group amongst the thousands we have already been manually put into which is getting ridiculous to handle. Have a few customers complain about a local frag auction group keep adding them back in after they opt out of the group multiple times.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eeewwwww Facebook..... So 2009. Haha. Hate it. Already said hey to all my old school peeps. Enough for me. Haven’t been on there for years nor do I ever care to be ever again. If it ain’t about Reefin I get bored very quickly. Bunch o nonsense to me. Reef 2 Reef my only social media I spend any time on

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any social platform accounts , I also prefer to private. What people don’t understand is whatever they put out there they can’t take it back. As one who has spent a couple weeks deleting herself from the internet highway through many sites and their spin off sites, which isn’t fun, a lot of information out there is incorrect. I didn’t give my permission to these sites to list my address, relatives, income etc..

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nobody cares if I'm chillin' eating Doritos, and I don't duck lip.

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had FB, and haven't really wanted to join either, but I do find there is a perception that I miss out on a lot because I'm told that most of the reefers in my area (Pacific North West) are using a FB group to correspond with. I'm come close to joining multiple times, but just can't bring myself to do it. I would like to know more what is going on in my community though. Also, as multiple folks have indicated, I do not like the contests/giveaways which do require a FB account. I get it from a business perspective they need to reach a larger audience then just R2R, but they lose me on everyone. Wondered why I never win anything! LOL

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do not have a FB account or do any other social media other than this site. My husband does but I generally ignore it. I’m with you! I talk to the people I want to by phone or text! And if anyone forgets my birthday, I don’t care anyway I’ve probably already forgot theirs too!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man and I thought this was going to be a rant about FB coral vendors

Lol yeah, I don't think I can even waste my thought process on those guys, let alone do an entire write up. That nonsense was over for me before it started.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on FB but it’s dedicated to just my friends and family. I don’t accept friends request if I’ve never met you. I stay far away from drama ( maybe cause I’m getting older ).

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate FB and don't use it at all. I wish all of these contests would actually stop using social media in general for entries.

Nobody on my friends list cares if I like an aquarium product, just like I don't care what their stupid crap is about. Aside of folks that actually communicate with family and real life friends, it's a sham of people showing what they want you to think their life is like.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back